1. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Mobile SERPs in Google get "Slow to Load" label test

Got a site that's notoriously slow to load? A homepage cluttered with videos or other heavy content? Google is labeling sites that are slow loading in mobile SERPs. For now, it sounds like this is just a test and not yet a permanent feature.

It's a pretty basic label - a yellow "caution" sign with an exclamation mark and "slow to load" in gray text. I'm curious about how long your load time has to be before the warning is triggered.

The article: Google Testing "Slow To Load" Warning Label In Mobile Search Results

One commentator notes that if they saw a "slow to load" label, they'd be less likely to click on that site. And they think other searchers would act the same way:

Originally Posted by Charlotte Barnes
    As someone who spends are rather substantial portion of their time on the internet, on desktop, tablet and mobile, I can't see how this is not going to have a huge impact on websites if Google rolls it out permanently. Even now, if a website doesn't load fast enough for me, I'm outta there! If there's a preemptive warning telling me it is slow, the chance of me clicking through is highly unlikely.
    Another commentator wonders whether the speed is determined server side or based on the mobile device being used. Because in the first case it might indicate a genuinely slow site...but in the second it might just mean that the user needs to upgrade their phone:

Originally Posted by Clif Haley
    So is "slow to load" based off the site's load time from the server or is it based on the user's particular mobile internet connection speed? Seems like the mobile carrier and technology (4g vs 3g vs 2g) would have more notable impact on load time than the hosting server...which of course is a factor, it's just not clear in this case what they are basing the label on. If my site is slow to load because a user is using an older technology not much I can do about that.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by markroberts
    Got a site that's notoriously slow to load? A homepage cluttered with videos or other heavy content?
    I'm certainly not an authority on this but my first question... what needs to load to be fast... everything?

If that is the truism the minimalist concept works best.

Pagination beats scrolling and if there needs to be a fold... adding a new page might be better.
  5. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Good question. If this label becomes set in stone, it would be interesting to figure out how to get a label and how to get it removed.

Videos on a page - were those ever considered to be the mark of "expert" authority? It's interesting that if you have an expert video, but a poorly optimized page speed, you might be given a warning label in this case that could steer people away from you. Isn't there something of a conflict there?