1. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Desktop Pages, Mobile Pages, AMP Pages, and Index Priority

This story is a bit difficult to understand, so hang on tight: Read the details here, from The SEM Post.

So, Google's mobile-first index is apparently out in the wild. It's a small experiment right now and Google promises it will get bigger. Webmasters often maintain multiple versions of their pages. Some have desktop versions, some are responsive, some are desktop and mobile, and a few have AMP pages up already.

This has people wondering: what does the mobile index mean for me, given my specific site set-up?

If you have only a desktop version and AMP versions of your page: Google will use the desktop version for indexing. This is even after the mobile-first switch goes global.

If you have only AMP pages - no desktop site, no mobile site - then Google will use the AMP page for indexing.

I imagine that this only applies to a very thin demographic of webmasters, but worth mentioning.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I am awaiting the screams of anguish, and we all know they are coming.
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm really looking forward to this update, I think it'll throw what everyone knows on it's head, a chance to learn and experiment more.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

This seems to be the latest on the subject by G's John Mueller:

Aug 2017: Google: Things Looking Good For Mobile First Index

"...he (John Mueller) hopes now that it will be a "smooth transition for most sites" when it does launch."

"...But in general, things are looking pretty good and I am not as kind of crazy as I first suspected. So hopefully it will kind of be a smooth transition for most sites."

(Includes a link to the John Mueller, Google video)

G has always hated dramatic changes to its results quality following major algo updates. Eg. "Mobilegeddon" was preceded by warnings of SERP doom but in reality was so small that many SEOs could not even detect its impact.

Just an opinion but I don't think these will create as big an impact as some expect. Time will tell...
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 17th, 2017 at 06:29 AM.