1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Accelerated Mobile Pages Good Bad?

Hello, what are peoples thoughts on this new form of mobile pages? Should a standard business site even bother with this? I'm am wondering if I should invest in a AMP version of my site?

Thank you
  3. Contributing User

No opinions on this? I did not see a clear answer elsewhere.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

No one really knows. Google keeps so much info from ya know it's hard to say. I will say I'm sure it's not bad, however..is it a waste of time? Who really knows.
  7. Contributing User

Best to keep an eye on it. Perhaps you can rank high in markets that competitors are not using this in.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

There is a discussion about AMP here
  11. Contributing User

I missed this in my search before I posted this. Looks heated but has some good info. Thanks for sharing.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Dave,
    I'm advising my clients to wait until we see what comes out of G's switch to its mobile index.

In spite of all the hype about AMP, my understanding is that its usage is still tiny at less than 0.12% of all pages indexed by Google. From a ranking perspective, I think we can be very confident that G will not place much importance on AMP as a specific ranking signal when it has such low usage rates. Load speed may be elevated in importance in the algo at a later date but this must still be secondary to understanding the search words usage on SERP pages.

Interpreting search word ranking usage and external link signals on an AMP page may be a problem as they are stripped back versions of web pages.

AMP pages were originally designed around fast and simplistic publishing needs of news article web pages. (Headline, advertisement, one news picture and article text.)

The code "stripping" may be a problem for the conventional G ranking algo. It may also make the format unsuitable for many types of website.

It seems to me, the whole AMP project is really in its infancy. It currently has many limitations and we don't know whether it will evolve to become the future or whether it will be another in the long list of Google failures. (Anyone remember Google's Wave?)

Some articles on the pros and cons of AMP:

Aug 2016: Google's Rolling Out AMP to the Main SERPs Are You Prepared?
    Author: Jennifer Slegg (Add this lady to your list of SEOs to follow.)

"AMP is a very lightweight version of a webpage that has been stripped of the many elements that cause a regular webpage to display slowly..."

"Another consideration is that AMP pages are definitely more bare-bones than your typical mobile page. You need to look at it from a user-experience point of view. Are there elements on a page that will negatively impact your customer's experience if they're not displayed on AMP?"

Dec 2016: To AMP or Not to AMP: What is Best for Your Website?

Dec 2016: Do I Need AMP?

Jul 2016: Is Google AMP a ranking signal?

Answer: No. (Source quoted Gary Illyes, Google.)

Don't be rushed into premature decisions. The same hype occurred with G's mobile page ranking boost. When it was implemented, most SEOs could not detect any differences in their clients' ranking results.

Comments on this post

• DaveOzric agrees
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 13th, 2017 at 05:39 AM.