Thread: Local backlinks

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Local backlinks

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked here before, but I did search for awhile.
    I'm just wondering if anyone here has an idea of what the keywords should be in a backlink to help with local SEO. Should I have the name of the city in the link?
    Last edited by frankblack; Feb 25th, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture

No one?

Let's just assume someone is using Google. I don't think the majority of people enter in the town/suburb name/city in the search term when looking for a local business. Google handles all of this by trying to determine where the search came from and displaying results that Google thinks is closest to that location.

So, if a plumber in Las Vegas, Nevada wanted to start creating backlinks on sites that may not be in his/her area would it be better (in as far as SEO) to have the anchor text "Las Vegas Nevada Plumber"? Or, should the anchor text just be "Plumber"?

Isn't having a backlink with the anchor text "Plumber" competing with every plumber on the planet? Like I said before, I don't think most people in Las Vegas would actually search for the term "Las Vegas Plumber" (Yes, I know some would... but not the majority).

If any of this make sense to anyone here, could you maybe give me some advice. I'm sure someone here has experience with this similar situation. Thank you for your time.
  5. No Profile Picture

Best Answer

SEO Services, or Search Engine Optimization Services, depend on a set of techniques and strategies designed to increase the ranking of a web site in the search engines for a few specially chosen and highly targeted keywords
  7. No Profile Picture
    NGS Marketing

Frank,

What you say makes a lot of sense. More rarely people would actually search for KW+Location. Furthermore, it is just one possible location-targeting factor having the location in the anchor text. I'd rather say it's much more important getting backlinks from relevant (especially local) websites, than having good anchor text. Google knows which site is relevant to what, so you don't really need to have the "correct" anchor text to make Google know what the link might be related to. I'd even speculate that having a link with anchor text "Plumber Las Vegas" coming from SEO chat forum, for instance, might be less valuable than a link coming from, say, lasvegasbusinessdirectory.com (if there is such a thing), which has anchor text the name of the website, or the name of the business.

Cheers,
    Nyagoslav
  9. No Profile Picture

Nyagoslav,

Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of searching looking for an answer, and what you said really helps. Instead of getting a ton of backlinks from everywhere with "town name" + keyword isn't going to be as good as finding the right places to get backlinks and just have it point back to my site (with whatever anchor text). Local SEO is just different, I guess. Thanks again!

-Frank