1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Your thoughts on duplicate content across local sites

Duplicate content has a bad reputation among nonlocal sites because Google doesn't want its results to stack with the same information. I'm sure duplicate content is also an indicator of spam.

Now how big of a factor is duplicate content for nonlocal sites in noncompetitive geographic areas?

My ideal website strategy allows me to focus entirely on the marketing message, and duplicated across many different websites targeting different areas. Only location specific information would change.

Thanks for any feedback you have on this!
  3. No Profile Picture

You can link each of your website with other website. Use canonical tag in the main website.
  5. No Profile Picture

As far as the latest Google updates are concerned, there shouldn't be any kind of duplicate content on your site. Having the same content that appears on other sites might affect your ranking seriously. Try to post original and unique content which could improve your ranking
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have a client who got spanked pretty hard for this so I would strongly advise against it.

As Kenneth said above, the duplicate content issue puts you at risk of an onpage filter. However, there are additional concerns too.

A very annoying thing about having different domains for each location is that, if one earns links, it does nothing for the brand overall. So if one website manages to gain more authority for a particular phrase than the corporate site, it might actually begin to rank higher. Last thing you want is for someone searching in New York to find the Minnesota version of your website instead of the corporate one or the New York one. They'll glance right over you.

An exception to this would be country targeting when you're trying to rank in completely different versions of Google. As long as you have the country properly set in Webmaster Tools/Search Console, you could have fairly identical sites in the US, UK and Australia (though I would adapt the language customs to each, ex. "color" vs. "colour")
  9. Founder, LeadJoint.com

I know a few local business websites that do this pretty well. Most of the content of these different pages (catering to various locations) is the same - and the only thing different is the location and contact details. What they do right is they have created separate Google+ pages for each of these different locations and are tagged to these different pages that lets Google understand the context. And they continue to rank on top regardless of the perceived duplicate content.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi LeadJoint,
    I believe that their Google + Local Pages (assuming they are verified businesses) are helping them rank well, but their content strategy is "technically" duplicate content. Although they've changed the location and the contact information the majority of the content is the same. If you treat each of these locations as a separate entity and create back links for each specific location they can stand out as individual identities. It seems to be more cost effective than microsites for each location as they all live under one domain and help boost the main site all together.
  13. Founder, LeadJoint.com

Yes KeithP, they are all indeed under one domain name and that is helping the website build a much higher authority than if they had to do it separately. I tend to think Google is a pretty lax on duplicate content for local businesses, especially if it is within the same domain name. Although I cannot be sure about this - it's all purely anecdotal.