1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Which to put first? location or service

When creating a landing page, say for a plumber who wants more business fixing taps, is it best to use www.londontapfixing.co.uk or tapfixinglondon. I have done some research with google's keyword tool, but am finding it difficult to calculate all variations eg. tap fixing in london, find a tap fixer in london etc..

does anyone know of any research done on this or does it depend on the keyword?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well it doest matter what domain you choose for your website, the only thing which matters is really killer content and quality links. When I typed your keyword TAP FIXING LONDON into google.co.uk the first ten results except the second one had no mention of either TAP or FIXING or LONDON in their domain names. So instead of wasting your time over these petty things try to get some superior content and quality backlinks for your website...
  5. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The anchor text (link text) for the inbound links pointing to your site would play a stronger roll in helping your SEO efforts. The domain name, as mentioned above, doesn't carry much weight.

Follow the advice above as it's a good starting point.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi - Thanks for the advice. The tap fixing thing was just an example. I just wondered if there was a trend in people searching in a particular way. I would of thought if 1000 people a month searched for "tap fixing London" and 1 person searched for "london tap fixing" it would make sense in calling the site www.tapfixinglondon.co.uk and put the service before the location.

Yes, it is a small point but i like to do things right from the start.

If it does not matter then ok.

Thanks Jon
  9. Dancin with the devil

I suppose there is nothing wrong with buying both domains right? You can always 301 redirect 1 to the other once you decide which way to go. It never hurts to choose a domain that will stick in the minds of the visitor.

When looking through data, I used to see that term + locale was the trend. It seems to have leveled off in the past few months where locale + term was being used.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am with Lb also, term+location is usually more searched than location+term, but if you have both domains available buy its.
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I think having a KID, when it supports your brand is a smart move. I also believe that the weight of having a keyword in your domain is more than what is suggested above.
  15. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    I think having a KID, when it supports your brand is a smart move. I also believe that the weight of having a keyword in your domain is more than what is suggested above.
    I agree with most of what you are saying here. The branding and likelihood of your visitors remembering your site is far greater with a KID I think.

As to the weight it carries in terms of SEO, it was definitely more beneficial several years ago than it is now. For less competitive terms, it may carry a little more weight and help you outrank another site but for competitive terms, I don't you'll get that extra bump as you once did. I saw this discussed on another site a while back and would love to see what people think about KID's impact today, especially since you feel it carries more than suggested. I didn't want the OP to rack their brain trying to find a domain to accommodate their keyword. Finding something practical should be the focus. I would love to see any support for KID (if you have any) still carrying weight as I was a big fan of this early on.

I guess it follows the typical path of SEO, new tricks discovered which is beneficial at the onset than gets abused so much it flops and becomes virtually useless.
    Last edited by Lb1878; Jul 31st, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture

I think when we are talking about a local business, ranking for local searches, having a well thought out KID is worthwhile.

Another reason i have found, is that it is much easier to get your keywords in the content, if the KID is actually the business name. e.g. Here at London Tap Fixing, we believe, bla bla bla. From my experience "light weight" SEO techniques like KID are worth while, for less competitive terms related to local searches. Yes, techniques like link building and content will always win the day, but for a small business, i find they do not have the time or the money to pay someone to do it. That's why when building a site, these minuet details like location before service all add up and in my experience can make the difference.
  19. Dancin with the devil

I don't see how having your KID has any relation to you using and/or getting keywords in your content. If you are targeting certain terms, you likely want to mention them at some point in your content, regardless of what your domain is. Not sure what you are driving at here.

I do agree that local search optimization is a different animal. If you've seen different results which are working for but may be against the norm, than you must go with it. Hopefully you understand what is taking place before you step forward haha.

I still think that these "little" things have more of an impact in less competitive situations. This local segment may be that situation where it can all be pulled together.

There is no "one size fits all" for SEO. Many things factor in to rankings. If you've found something that works that is opposite of what is being talked about, than so be it.
  21. No Profile Picture

Fair enough, thanks for the help.