1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

plz help. web hosting and local online business

I currentlly have some services I'd like to advertise to my local community. Ive been stuck on deciding which web hosting to use. According to what ive read if you have a local business, its better to find a hosting server closer to your location for better rankings on google. Because when a seacher seaches for you on google, google doesnt have to go through so many steps, page speed, etc........Ive been so frustrated with this. if I live in tampa does that mean I must find a web hosting company in tampa? or does it just need to be in the US. Or may I use hostgator or godaddy? I never thought choosing web hosting would be so hard. plz help

plzzz read ...........Server location: tightly related to the above one, this one is important to mention for a number of reasons. For us the most important reason is that Google considers the server “physical” location when ranking a website in both local and general search (for location-specific searches). So if you are creating a website for your local business and expect people to search it by location, find the hosting provider nearby.
  3. No Profile Picture

A friend of mine lives in the UK and hosts his website with a web hosting provider based in the US. He's never faced any problems, either with performance or rankings. When it comes to rankings, it really depends on the kind of optimizing strategies you're putting into your website. Location isn't a factor here. Quality content, good design, good use of Adwords and effective tracking measures (like Google Analytics) are the things you should be looking into. Let me know if you want some tips in this direction.

As far as web hosting is concerned, do your homework, compare hosting prices. Web hosting is a very competitive market, so you're sure to get great value-for-money deals if you know where to look. Search for host comparing sites. Most importantly, understand your own website's requirements. How much traffic does it see in a month? How heavy is it in terms of content and other data? How many domains are you looking to host? All this factors in to your choice of web host.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I think that choosing the location of your hosting provider matters but not a big deal. Like Tia said, you can still host your website to other location and you won't have any problem at all with regards to rankings. What you need is to design/plan your local SEO campaign to let search engines know that you target local market only.
  7. No Profile Picture

Precisely. Mary's right about SEO targeting. Even AdWords has powerful features to let you specifically target demographics.

Also, piece of advice since you're looking for web hosting. DO NOT go for free web hosting. It will be the death of your website, in the long run. Since your website is catering to local community, I would suggest you go for Shared hosting.