1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

NAP question surrouding zipcode

So it would appear many of the citations I have done the providers are changing my zip code to the actual buildings zipcode I use a po box but list the entire street and use a unit number to be able to accept all forms of mail. My real actual zip code is 75094 but so many sites will change it to the actual building zip code of 75074 automatically.

I am just curious of how important it is that the zip code matches up. The only listing provider I use is moz local and most all my listing are showing accurate 75094 instead of 75074 but occasionally there will be one pop in there as 75074 its a wack a mole battle I am playing. Additionally many citation providers I am finding not associated with mozlocal will simply force 75074 so I have to use it.

I am trying to figure out how important the zip code matching is being one digit off. How bad do you think I am docked??

I am really considering fighting the new battle and going in and just changing every zip code to 75074.

Oh do to the nature of the service I provide I could and will never have an office I never meet clients face to face. I am a Private Investigator and conduct a lot of criminal investigations and am brought in to give statements in court etc.
    Last edited by decadude; Jul 24th, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

have you tried adding
    <meta name="robots" content="noodp"/>

I say this as the tag is an instruction not to use the DMOZ database which could be part of the issue. Even if not I would include it so you can control the snippets yourself.
    It does however require the site to be compliant with the instruction.
    Last edited by Chedders; Jul 26th, 2016 at 01:37 PM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As always thanks for the response so I need to include this in the field that the zip code is placed in when doing a citation listing? This is not on my website itself it is when I do a specific citation listing to a provider. If this trick works super excited.

Please advise thanks again
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

There are many sites that talk about this topic but here is one I found for you What does “noydir,noodp” mean? | Search Engine Optimization Blog
    the NOYD instruction I am pretty sure you can ignore as yahoo shut down its directory service. But the DMOZ one I believe is still being used by google.

The code needs to be placed in the header so if your including that in the zip file I think it would depend on if you providing all the code for the page.
    Hope thats the issue for you though as it should be a simple fix.
  9. Contributing User

Hello Chedders,
    Thank you for that clarification. I had almost forgot DMOZ data snippets. I had a similar problem with one of my sites in UK and its still bothering us sometimes. I hope this will help me too. Thanks again.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I will add something on this subject. The Most important thing in NAP is matching N-A-P Name-Adress-PhoneNumber on all the sites/citations that you created. The most important NAP is on your actual site, and all the other have to match this one.