1. No Profile Picture

Local SEO Rankin

Hey Guys,

What is the proper way to get rid of links that are searchable by google.

What I am trying to do is, in the past we were creating CITY landing pages to get our local rank up in particular cities. Google would probably consider it doorway pages and am wanting to take them down. We have kept the content unique by adding tid bits on the city at the end of the page.

Our website is ranking really well without these City pages and was wondering if it would be a bad thing to get rid of 12 pages at once. And if i do so what is the proper way to tell google not to add them in searches?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kevin
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Are the city landing pages part of your website, or are they part of someone else's website on which you have no control?

If you have control, you can noindex the pages.
    If you have no control, you contact the webmaster of the website and request that they put the pages down. If they do not cooperate, you can use the disavow tool.

I would be very careful though. You said that "Google would PROBABLY consider it doorway pages" which means that you aren't really sure. You also said that you are currently ranking well and that could very well be due to these pages. If your only reason for wanting to remove them hinges on "probably", then I wouldn't touch them.

Comments on this post

• kewelch agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey sorry for the late reply not sure why I didn't get the notification.

I have full control of the site. My only fear is that google will just No Index our domain for misuse of google guidelines. Our site has been a lead generating machine for us and my value for the company relies on these leads that are produced. And the leads are not coming from those landing pages but my question is, is it a ranking factor for landing pages that are have a high page authority and the site over all.

I want to follow google guidelines but at the same time I don't want to lose the rank. Do you think I should just no index a few smaller cities and get rid of them slowly and keep a close eye on the metrics?

Also, does it factor into my domain authority and link equity? I'm just really confused and google is a very confusing monster. Google guidelines are so grey! I follow the guidelines the best i can now in this case I am winging it.

I am not sure if their is a best way in going about this. Google and I have a love hate for each other.

Thank you so much for your reply. That was sort of my thought.

Thank you
    Kevin
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

First of all I am very much confused with your question sir. I understand few things from your question so her is my solution for you. You Should use Robot.TXT file to let Google Know which page to crawl and which not. Robot.Txt file help search engine to know that which page of the website not to crawl.

If Google already Crawled your web pages than you can use DISAVOW Tool (https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...vow-links-main) from google to remove those pages from Google.