1. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Local Listing Optimization Follow Up

Just curious to know how some of you are doing with your local listings.
    - Are you ranking well?
    - Have you been able to determine what helps your business rank better?
    - Are you seeing any additional online conversions from your local listings?
    - How about off-line purchases for those with a brick and motar store?

Looking into our analytics, it only looks like Yahoo has delivered a few referrals, nothing showing up from Google. We recently changed our title so I imagine it will take a little while for things to return. I did noticed that more single word queries were delivering traffic to our site. My best guess was that this was from local searches.

It appears that our biggest attributer to ranking well in the Google 10-pack is due to positive reviews. I'm curious to know how "web reviews" will impact the overall rankings on the major search engines. We are working on a few different techniques to encourage our customers to add reviews. I'll report back with it's progress later.

We are currently ranking #1 in the Google 10-pack with many terms related to our industry. I haven't looked into the conversion aspect of it too deeply but I was curious to know if anyone has been benefitting from their local results success.
    Last edited by Lb1878; Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    Just curious to know how some of you are doing with your local listings.
    - Are you ranking well?

Looking into our analytics, it only looks like Yahoo has delivered a few referrals, nothing showing up from Google. We recently changed our title so I imagine it will take a little while for things to return. I did noticed that more single word queries were delivering traffic to our site. My best guess was that this was from local searches.

It appears that our biggest attributer to ranking well in the Google 10-pack is due to positive reviews. I'm curious to know how "web reviews" will impact the overall rankings on the major search engines. We are working on a few different techniques to encourage our customers to add reviews. I'll report back with it's progress later.

We are currently ranking #1 in the Google 10-pack with many terms related to our industry. I haven't looked into the conversion aspect of it too deeply but I was curious to know if anyone has been benefitting from their local results success.
    Definitely agree with you on the positive reviews. If you find any useful ways of attracting those reviews, please posts some ideas.

I haven't heard of any walk-in customers mentioning a local result listing, but I don't think anyone's been asking either. So I can't rightfully attribute any walk-ins to the 10-pack. I did hear of a phone call last week, though.

I have seen local terms show up in my analytics, a much higher percentage of those have converted than visitors using the same terms without the local reference.
  5. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    I haven't heard of any walk-in customers mentioning a local result listing, but I don't think anyone's been asking either. So I can't rightfully attribute any walk-ins to the 10-pack. I did hear of a phone call last week, though.
    The reason i ask this is b/c I was at a conference several months ago and they had a segment on Local Search. The stat they threw out was 85% of searches review information online and make a purchase offline at a local store. I haven't seen any data from others but never asked so I was curious to see how accurate that number is.

I will keep you posted on any successful ways to encourage reviews.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hmmm....my answers are inline....

- Are you ranking well?
    Yes, very well indeed for our LOCAL SEO clients...it appears to be totally honest that selective on-page op works especially well. As yet, I'm still compositing serps and the results are quite solid and reliable at this point...but it's still too early to try to formulate a hypothisize yet....

Yes, fairly easily, which to be totally honest is somewhat worrisome....there MUST be other factors in play but as yet we've not found them...

Yes especially for our service clients, professionals (lawyers for instance) and others who provide services to consumers too...

Little there as we've only 2 clients in the retail channels, but they do say that conversions are rising...

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

9. Dancin with the devil

Jim, great to hear the success. Keep up the good work.

One additional question I had... how are you tracking conversions from local results?

In the GLBC Console, we are only showing 10 actions, 0 impressions. Looking at our stat program, we are seeing lots of single keyword results show up in our keyword data. We are non existent for these single term keywords in organic results which leads me to believe these are coming from local searches.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ten Pack

How do you optimize to rank high in the ten pack?
  13. Dancin with the devil

By reading the rest of the posts in this section where there even links to other resources, you can find out what is important and what is not. I'll give you one way to optimize these listings... claim your listing! Probably the most important.