1. No Profile Picture

Local City Landing Pages

I have a question that I hope someone might be able to answer. I have spend hours coming up with unique content for city landing pages. Example: "City Keyword" I have been really successful in getting top ranked in google for City Specific searches. However, I have a competitor that is taking the same approach and but this competitor has copied and pasted the same content across all cities and only changing up the City. He is now top ranked and in some cities has a better ranking than we do.

Is this ok to do when taking the City specific landing page approach? The reason I'm asking this is I have a client who wants to take that approach, do i go with the unique content or do I copy and paste. In the example above they yield the same results.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Welch
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

No matter which approach you take this technique is against google guidlines., please read here https://support.google.com/webmaster.../2721311?hl=en
    If the site in question is your site then you can decide if the gain is worth the risk, however doing this for a client you need to be really careful. How do you think they will react if their website is taken out by a manual penalty because of the technique your recommended.

I am not saying here doorway pages dont work, the ydo but they also carry risk
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I had a client that wanted me to do the risky link building campaigns of 5+ years back, plus add dozens of subdomains. I talked him out of it, but barely kept my job. He is certainly happy today though, as much of his competition is now eliminated.

So just because your competitor is getting away with it today, doesn't mean he will tomorrow.

Edited: I forgot. He actually fired me, but hired me back when the next SEO crashed his rankings.
    Last edited by DirectHits; Mar 16th, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the info guys!