1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Local Citation Counting Tool

I'm looking for a tool that tells me the number of citations a particular business has. I don't need any specific information, other than the number of citations -- it's for a regression I'm collecting data for. My search has been unsuccessful, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of one.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JFCatalan
    I'm looking for a tool that tells me the number of citations a particular business has. I don't need any specific information, other than the number of citations -- it's for a regression I'm collecting data for. My search has been unsuccessful, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of one.
    What are you calling a "citation"? https://Majestic.com gives you absolute link counts but also, in its advanced reports, lets you include instances where a website has been listed on a web page, but not linked. Majestic is good because you can see how influential the citation (page) is and in what vertical, through Topical Trust Flow and also has free absolute backlink history count charts going back five years, so might save you loads of time. the down side is that it is only looking at LINKS to a business, so if Citation is just someone talking about a business, then you might say that someone mentioning a brand on social media is a citation. I use BuzzSumo for tracking these as they seem to pick up much more than my other social media monitoring tool of choice (which is sendible.com) - Buzzsumo only calls a tweet a mention if it has at least one retweet / share I think, to try and eliminate much of the noise.

last - try "http://Socialmention.com" - they have their definition of citation... so you can try that as well.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees
    Last edited by DixonJones; Jan 15th, 2015 at 06:07 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Brightlocal.com has a Citation Tracker that does a pretty good job. It's a paid service but very reasonable. We use it to monitor citation activity among competitors as well as our clients.