1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google Places versus Google+ Local for new listings

My understanding is that Google Places pages are being merged into Google+ Local.

However, right now there are two entirely separate signup pages and seemingly two independent listings.

What is the right strategy for a local business working on a web presence today? Create both?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi,

Google recently introduced an upgrade to Google Places for Businesses.Users of Google Places for Business receive an email notification once their account has been upgraded to Google+ Local.

Business owners will still be able to use Google Places to manage business listing information – however, now users will be able to rate, review, and contribute pictures through Google’s new local search, Google+ Local.

It means that Google Place pages are no more. Instead, users will find your business listed in a local Google+ page. Businesses will still be able to manage listings in Google Places, but users will now find your business information in Google+. Google+ Local integrates the Google Place listing (and map listing) into a users Google+ experience.

Google boasts that merging Google Places into Google+ (Google+ Local) will be easier to use, edits will go live faster, and integration with other Google business and social products will be better. Businesses now also have the option to combine a Google Places Page and Google+ Page.

So, Google+ is the right one !

Regards,

Comments on this post

• renewables agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm in a similar position to the OP, so I was interested in Keith's response, very informative.

I currently have a Google Places account, but haven't yet been upgraded to Google+ Local.
    My question is; should I, prior to being upgraded, create a Google+ Local page in addition to my Google Places page?

My motivation for doing so is that a lot of my competitors have Google+ Local pages, and my ranking is fairly low.

My hesitation is that I would duplicate my presence and end up getting punished by Google - although I'm not sure if this is the case?

Any help, much appreciated
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi Renewables,

Hope you smile after this J
    Your question : Should I, prior to being upgraded, create a Google+ Local page in addition to my Google Places page?
    My answer No ! If you already have a Google Places listing, you also have a Google+ Local page.

My suggested To-Do list for you :

1. Claim your Google Places Listing.
    2. Create, verify and optimize your .Google Plus Business Page

- fill in all relevant information such as Name, address, Phone number, hours Add links to other places on the web where you can be found.
    - Add photos and videos
    - grow your circles (easier now that you can circle anyone)
    - Share content

Hope it helps !

Regards,