Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Places or Maps in SERP...Where are they?

Is Google phasing out, discounting, or otherwise requiring more deliberate search actions for Google Places (Maps, Local Business, etc) results.

Just a couple of months ago, every time I searched for anything, I was presented with a Map and the "7 box" illustrating nearby search results.

It seems like since "Google Instant" was released, the Google Places or Maps results only show up if I perform a Custom Search.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by SBR
    So I have been optimizing allot lately for one of my clients to get them into the 10,7 and 3 box for Google local results and thought I would give back to the community.

Here are the things that I have found to be true from reading the Google local help forum and my own knowledge gathered over the last 6 months or so.

Citations
    Citations: Are the number 1 thing you MUST do to get a coveted A-Z balloon for your local area. Citations are local directories that "cite" your business name along with it's address.

Despite what others say you do NOT need to be in the Axciom or infoUSA database to achieve high rankings, although I do suggest that you at least submit your business listing to these companies for further "proof" of your business' physical location.

Axciom and infoUSA are considered by many to be "the" trusted sources for business' physical locations, but typically take at least 6 months for them to verify and pass your information along to Google.

Here is a list of places that I have been using for local citations:

yellowikis.wikia.com
    merchantcircle.com
    cityslick.net
    aboutus.org
    citysquares.com
    google.com/profiles/
    getfave.com
    fastpitchnetworking.com
    superpages.com
    facebook.com
    brownbook.net
    local.yahoo.com
    wikimapia.org
    tjoos.com
    squidoo.com
    yellowpages.lycos.com
    kudzu.com
    crunchbase.com
    naymz.com
    gomylocal.com
    ibegin.com
    hotfrog.com
    ezlocal.com
    businessdirectory.bizjournals.com
    busiverse.com

many local yellow page type sites, e.g. cityname business directories

Some, but not all of these sites also allow you to drop links back to your site as well. My current favorite is merchantcircle.

Reviews
    Reviews are the juice that propels your site higher in the local rankings with all other things being equal.

Good reviews as well as negative reviews (at this time) can currently give you that little edge to push you into the top spots for google maps.

Complete Profile
    A complete profile helps in the sense that their is literally nothing more you can add to your profile to make it any better.

Backlinks with local specific anchor text
    I have not confirmed this yet, but I suspect that backlinks with local specific anchor text to your website can help.

As an example "city keyword" or "keyword city" to your home page from a quality trusted external source.

Quick question does anybody have any info on which keyword sets would produce better results?

i.e. is "city keyword" better or is "keyword city" better or no difference?

Summary,
    For brand new sites here is what I have found and confirmed on my own and with speaking with Google Maps Employees on the subject.

Expect it to take 2-3 full months for a brand new site to begin ranking for your specific zipcode with all the above in place(for brand new sites).

Expect it to take 3-5 full months for Google to include reviews and citations into your Google places account with the above in place(for brand new sites).

Questions/Comments/Ideas/Suggestions are welcome.

That's All For Now,
    SBR
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by CatalysteMarketing
    Totally agree with Lb!

Yes there are still Places ranking even with LOTs of spammy words in the title. However I think that those only last until the owners do an edit and then the new algo is somehow triggered to double check the account. At that point some get flagged for review or banned. (That's just assumption, not proven.)

All I know for SURE is that when I take over an account, totally clean it up SQUEAKY clean per the guidelines my clients rankings ALWAYS go up. Never down.

I cleaned up an account today that was just breaking a couple of small guideline violations and immediately pulled a 1 pack for one of the Drs. main key phrases.

Not trying to play goodie two-shoes, but playing by the rules just always gets me further than breaking them.
    All the top places from my local competition seem to be stuffed with keywords. I keep hearing how bad this should be, but in practice it still seems to work. I had a big jump earlier in the year when I added keywords, though I have gradually slipped down again.
    Maybe it's time to remove them and see what happens.
  5. No Profile Picture

Regarding Local Business Submission

Hello Friend, I have many project local listing and my all clients happy, i know you generate more business your local listing, all local people first connect local area company or service provider, so now all client need local listing so now very competition in local listing.

i have done local listing my web design london and ]web designers london

please search my client list with local listing

Originally Posted by SBR
    So I have been optimizing allot lately for one of my clients to get them into the 10,7 and 3 box for Google local results and thought I would give back to the community.

Here are the things that I have found to be true from reading the Google local help forum and my own knowledge gathered over the last 6 months or so.

Citations
    Citations: Are the number 1 thing you MUST do to get a coveted A-Z balloon for your local area. Citations are local directories that "cite" your business name along with it's address.

Despite what others say you do NOT need to be in the Axciom or infoUSA database to achieve high rankings, although I do suggest that you at least submit your business listing to these companies for further "proof" of your business' physical location.

Axciom and infoUSA are considered by many to be "the" trusted sources for business' physical locations, but typically take at least 6 months for them to verify and pass your information along to Google.

Here is a list of places that I have been using for local citations:

yellowikis.wikia.com
    merchantcircle.com
    cityslick.net
    aboutus.org
    citysquares.com
    google.com/profiles/
    getfave.com
    fastpitchnetworking.com
    superpages.com
    facebook.com
    brownbook.net
    local.yahoo.com
    wikimapia.org
    tjoos.com
    squidoo.com
    yellowpages.lycos.com
    kudzu.com
    crunchbase.com
    naymz.com
    gomylocal.com
    ibegin.com
    hotfrog.com
    ezlocal.com
    businessdirectory.bizjournals.com
    busiverse.com

many local yellow page type sites, e.g. cityname business directories

Some, but not all of these sites also allow you to drop links back to your site as well. My current favorite is merchantcircle.

Reviews
    Reviews are the juice that propels your site higher in the local rankings with all other things being equal.

Good reviews as well as negative reviews (at this time) can currently give you that little edge to push you into the top spots for google maps.

Complete Profile
    A complete profile helps in the sense that their is literally nothing more you can add to your profile to make it any better.

Backlinks with local specific anchor text
    I have not confirmed this yet, but I suspect that backlinks with local specific anchor text to your website can help.

As an example "city keyword" or "keyword city" to your home page from a quality trusted external source.

Quick question does anybody have any info on which keyword sets would produce better results?

i.e. is "city keyword" better or is "keyword city" better or no difference?

Summary,
    For brand new sites here is what I have found and confirmed on my own and with speaking with Google Maps Employees on the subject.

Expect it to take 2-3 full months for a brand new site to begin ranking for your specific zipcode with all the above in place(for brand new sites).

Expect it to take 3-5 full months for Google to include reviews and citations into your Google places account with the above in place(for brand new sites).

Questions/Comments/Ideas/Suggestions are welcome.

That's All For Now,
    SBR
  7. No Profile Picture

Does anyone know if it is possible to put Alt Text on the uploaded images in Google Places.

If it is possible, can you please explain how you do it.

Thanks
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool

I spent the other night going through half the list to put my business on those listings. We do business locally in Los Angeles and already have already had some out of state calls today. Very good tips for these links!
  11. No Profile Picture

Local SEO Needs Local Popularity

Well, my account manager at Centex Technologies Tx also emphasizes on popularity at all local communities and business directories. This I believe helps Google to know that a particular business is relevant in a particular area.
  13. No Profile Picture

Great.... if you are based in the USA! :-(
  15. No Profile Picture

multiple submission of site with different category is consider as spam by Google now. So Be Aware !!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the list my friend.
  19. No Profile Picture

i only use google places locallisting in pakistan any one have asia locallisting sites lists
  21. No Profile Picture

Hello !

Can You Give me tips for Optimization in Google as wel as Yahoo Local listing in India.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SBR
    Can anybody comment on:
    Most of the client will type Keyword and Location

Ex: SEO Services in Charllote

most of the people will type first Keyword than Location
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page: