1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Acxiom and Data Axle

Hello, I helped a couple businesses change their address on line and ran into the Yext issue of scamming you for money to update your listings.

I found out that listing places feed off a few data aggregators like Acxiom and Data Axle for their info. So you can signup for these accounts and claim your business or add one.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Because the listing websites eventually find your site and business anyway this is a good idea because you have control and can make changes?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by DaveOzric
    Hello, I helped a couple businesses change their address on line and ran into the Yext issue of scamming you for money to update your listings.

I found out that listing places feed off a few data aggregators like Acxiom and Data Axle for their info. So you can signup for these accounts and claim your business or add one.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Because the listing websites eventually find your site and business anyway this is a good idea because you have control and can make changes?
    Google+ for business has come a long way in terms of centralizing the place you can control what Google knows about your business. As of today, the sites you mentioned may still feed Yext and other sites, but i believe that if it is the case, it probably won't stay that way.

Check out Google My Business for more info on that.

Similarly, Bing provides a business tool Bing Places for Business

Finally, i'd also make sure your business info is correct on DMOZ. It's old-school, but still relevant in the world of SEO
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein