Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Creating link bait – A starting point…..

My background is among other things in marketing. Creating link bait for the purpose of link bait to a significant extent is a marketing exercise and needs to be approached in a considered and planned fashion.

To start it is a six stage process.

1) Set objectives.
    2) Gather information
    3) Analyze the information
    4) Plan you action
    5) Implement the action
    6) Review the whole process…. Go back to stage 1

The first three parts are where most people appear to neglect. People just jump straight to step 4. This is much more likely to result in wasted effort which gains minimal results. To plan the action without clearly identifying your target market. Without focusing the bait on the appropriate ‘fish’. Without researching the market and researching the alternatives available to a webmaster. Without considering the ROI and the opportunity cost is to set off on a road without knowing the directions to take. The chance of arriving at the destination are very low. In other words a very poor gamble.

Successful link bait needs to fulfill a need or want of another user. You need to give a webmaster a reason for them giving you some of their traffic….. This becomes increasingly difficult as the web grows in pages. The offerings for a webmaster to choose from increase all the time.

The bait needs to be well thought out. The bait needs to be well researched. The bait needs to fulfill a gap in the market to attract high value links.

My advice is to treat the creation of link bait as a significant project. Something that can take months or even years to bring to fruition. Something you are proud to have created. Something that other people are impressed with. If you achieve this you will get webmasters to share their traffic with you. They will feel lucky to have found your site. You are now doing them a favor. The links now are likely to include quality. These links are more likely to withstand the test of time.

Writing a average article on something does not do this. Creating a list of something does not do this. Writing reviews that no one is interested in does not do this. These things do not add to the web. They just clutter it up with low quality content….

Thus the starting point……

Best of luck….

(This post was inspired after reading this one http://forums.seochat.com/seo-help-general-chat-16/writing-game-reviews-230498.html)

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees : thanks
    • lewisdb agrees : Thanks Gazza
    • Faith agrees : Thanks :)
    • Lb1878 agrees
    • Prof.stan agrees
    • baggsy agrees
    • jsteele823 agrees : I never repped this, which just means you get more than you would a year ago when you posted :)
    • Mushu agrees
    • seomonkeymanocp agrees
    • salcapolupo agrees : very useful
    Last edited by gazzahk; Jan 7th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Live the moment
  3. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I have realised that link baiting is an art and it needs to be practised and tested if someone is going be become successful at it. But once you can do it, you can charge a whole lot of money for it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I agree, linkbaiting is an art form to some extent. That's why you can charge so much for it. The important part is creating a hook that the target audience would be interested in. Whether it be controversial, resourceful, humoress, newsworthy, or fun. Getting the right hook for the right audience is half the battle, the other half is advertising it.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net

Gazza do you regularly create link bait? Have you done some stuff you've been proud of before. Can I see? I'm interested.

I'm thinking of reading a whole book on specific marketing techniques and writing some blog posts about it, in the hope that it will work. I think books are a great source of ideas for content that are going to be put online. What do you think? I suppose, as long as it's not copied word for word and you create your own version.
  9. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by seogoat
    Gazza do you regularly create link bait? Have you done some stuff you've been proud of before. Can I see? I'm interested.

I'm thinking of reading a whole book on specific marketing techniques and writing some blog posts about it, in the hope that it will work. I think books are a great source of ideas for content that are going to be put online. What do you think? I suppose, as long as it's not copied word for word and you create your own version.
    Sorry I just noticed your question.

He he The answer to the first 3 questions are yes, yes, and you will find it on the web.

As for your idea - You are right in that the sharing of learning/knowledge has great potential as link bait... Its all in the delivery...

Lets us know how it goes...
  11. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net

Thanks Gazzah, I understand you don't really want to show it here. I probably wouldn't either. But how long did it take you to make something that worked? Did it take some practise, or did you get it first time? I think I will build up the authority of my blog before I attempt some lb, because if it's an authority site it's more likely to 'shock' people when they see it, so they're more likely to link. Well that's what I think. I think Aaron Wall from seo book has written some quality posts regarding link bait. Have you seen them?
  13. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by seogoat
    how long did it take you to make something that worked? Did it take some practise, or did you get it first time?
    My first few efforts took a long time and attracted few links. I then got an idea from another member of this forum. The first piece of very succesful bait I made took about 6 months to complete and another 3 or 4 months to promote. That piece of bait now has heaps of .edu type links. Its the highest PR page on my site better then my homepage. The next project took my partner almost 1 year to finish. This one now has even 3 links from nasa.gov. My most recent one was largely subcontracted out. It cost us around $4000 to create. We are still promoting it now.

One of the biggest postive results of googles ranking system is it encourages people to create free high quality resources.

We now have our next project on the drawing board....

Do not see difficulty as an obsticle. It is good. If something is easy then there is little advantage in having it. Others will just copy and follow. When you make something that is difficult then you have a barrier to competators.....

Comments on this post

• salcapolupo agrees : really agree with this approach!
  15. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net

Thanks, that sounds like it worked well. All those .edu links and Nasa.gov! I say again Nasa.gov, damn it! And you're right, difficulty does appear to be an obstical, but I'm about to launch my first ever blog and see what I can do. I'll bear your tips in mind and focus on a specific piece and do my best to make it good. Do you think it's best to start off making resourceful content, then when authority is achieved, only then drop in some controversy and some more aggressive bait. What I mean is if one starts with a domain with zero authority and puts stories that are quite unbelievable, people will just dismiss it, but they wouldn't if it was a well known source.

SEO is great because you study it, learn more and more, figure out new amazing things. Plus the rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper. How deep does the rabbit hole go?

If I manage to create a piece of bait I will be pleased with myself.

Good luck with your new project. You have lots more experience to plough in to this one so hopefully it will be even more successful.
    Last edited by seogoat; Jan 14th, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
  17. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I just saw this. Great post Gazz and some nice follow up too!

How knowledgeable were you on the topic when you first decided to create link bait for? What was involved and how did you find valuable information to turn that into link bait? I guess I'm looking to see how you determined the information you compiled was from a trusted source. Did you have a team of people working on research or was it solo? How about writing it, team or solo effort?

I have been struggling with link building since day 1. I just don't know where to find them. For one industry, its very competitive and most, if not all links need to be paid for and that is just to get a listing up. With paid links steadily losing their value, how am I supposed to build links? The only viable solution would be link bait. I have been kicking it around by I know very little about the industry and don't know where to start and what to write about. Mind you, the site doesnt create any new content so they are SOL when it comes to link building, or are they?

I have done some writing for websites and blogs before. I never really checked the response but my concern comes down to knowledge of the given subject, time it takes and than getting it promoted. I really want to become great at building links but I need guidance and confirmation that my efforts are sound. I've been reading about building links for years and still suck. Maybe its time to focus more on link bait.

Sorry for my venting but I do feel a little better and my outlook is a little brighter. Just trying to figure out how I could manage writing content between time and costs.

It wont let me give rep for the OP but I will leave it when I am allowed.
    Last edited by Lb1878; Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Very well written article by gazzahk on creating link baiting content. Thanks for that but how one can create link baiting content if he/she is poor in writing. Any advice or resources for them?
  21. No Profile Picture
    No SEO in New SEO
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by smaharjan2
    Very well written article by gazzahk on creating link baiting content. Thanks for that but how one can create link baiting content if he/she is poor in writing. Any advice or resources for them?
    Then hire a content writer.

Or go for link building..........
    You do your business I do mine, because you are you and I am I, If we meet it is nice.
    Starting a SEO Company | Some SEO Tips
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by smaharjan2
    Being a poor writer doesn't rule out coming up with excellent ideas for link bait; it may just mean that you have to hire someone else to actually execute it. To create a good link bait idea, you need to know what kinds of things the people you're targeting will link to. Once you have the ideas, fleshing them out and creating them is (or at least can be) a separate process.

Some of the oldest pieces of link bait I know of are Burger King's "subservient chicken" and the special web site for Philip's Body Groom shaver (not sure I got the name on that one right). The latter probably required a certain amount of writing skill, but the former called for a lot less; both sites use video and visitor interaction with the site to really good effect. (Of course, when it comes to SEO, video presents its own issues!).

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not an SEO, I just write about it online.

Anyway, I hope that helped.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : I bet there are a heap of SEOs (and their clients) that wish they had your level of SEO understanding....
  25. Dancin with the devil

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    Or go for link building..........
    Only b/c I've been caught up with this link building lately, where are you recommending he go to build links? What kind of links?

The general consensus from people I've discussed this with all point to link bait as a form of link building.

sma: start frequenting blogs and look for people who write well and appeal to you and your topics. The ones that grab your attention and meet your standards may be people who you can offer a writing position for. You can either pay per month for X amount of articles or per article. This is an area that you definitely need to be good at and like terry said, you only need the ideas, someone else can write.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : I had started working on it and now I am getting very handsome results thanks LB this is very practicle and very effective approaches by me
  27. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net

Do you think joke sites are linkbaits? IMO yes, because look at letmegooglethatforyou, that's a joke site and a great linkbait!
    Last edited by seogoat; Jan 28th, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
  29. Dancin with the devil

<snipped my own comment due to seogoat removing his>

I think it all depends on your audience, niche and what you are capable of. If you cant write, find someone who can, somehow. Fetch your ideas to them. If you are into horses, this would probably appeal to them somehow. If there is a market for this type of activity, im sure pricing would play a decent roll.

As egol has said, you need to write about what people are searching for.

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees : thanks for snipping that
    Last edited by Lb1878; Jan 28th, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: