Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Article marketing is dead?

Many SEO's claim that Google's duplicate content filters have made article marketing ineffective, while others suggest article marketers simply need to adapt their tactics to remain relevant....

What do you think.... is article marketing still an effective means of link building or generating targeted traffic?
  3. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Are you talking about writing an article and submitting it to more than 1 article submission site?

Personally, I am not a fan of that approach. I am not a fan of submitting to article submissions sites b/c your content likely gets old quick. Thousands of articles are submitted regularly which will likely bump your article down (unless the article is really good).

Many people suggest hosting the article on your site and focus on delivering links to that article for best results. The more sites the same article appears on, the greater the risk for getting hit with a dupe content penalty or another site getting the credit and/or ranking well for YOUR article.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
  5. Contributing User

I am interested hearing more about both points of view and approaches... I know that some article marketers suggest submitting to more that one site and others do not. I have also heard many people suggest rewording articles to submit them to more than one directory (both manually and with software) and other say this wastes to much time.

I believe I recall Google (Matt) saying that Google does not penalize sites with duplicate content, it simply ignores the duplicate content pages... that is unless you are blatantly stealing content to manipulate SERPs.

I am interesting in hearing anyone's experiences and results....

I think the big question is, can you still get enough traffic or backlinks using these techniques to make them worth the effort?

If so, which approach is the most effective?
    Last edited by i24designs; Apr 15th, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
  7. Contributing User

If you write a good article unique and submit to site like squidoo, and do a proposer optimization of then content, I think this going to benefits with some quality back links and some traffics. If to create one article to use the submit service to submit to 100 of article directory, I do not see much impact for quality link building
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by mynotion
    If you write a good article unique and submit to site like squidoo, and do a proposer optimization of then content, I think this going to benefits with some quality back links and some traffics. If to create one article to use the submit service to submit to 100 of article directory, I do not see much impact for quality link building
    Thanks for the comments...

Do you find yourself putting your articles on "Web 2.0 Properties" like Squidoo Lens, instead of more traditional article submission sites like ezinearticles.com, if so... what do you think the benefits of this approach are?
  11. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by i24designs
    I believe I recall Google (Matt) saying that Google does not penalize sites with duplicate content, it simply ignores the duplicate content pages... that is unless you are blatantly stealing content to manipulate SERPs.
    I thought my reply covered this (to an extent) but maybe not specifically. A penalty may not be instituted but the duplicate content gets ignored. Your content will likely be the dupe content. So whether or not you duck a penalty, your content won't be recognized or counted any way according to Mr. Cutts. Unless you have a highly established site, one that is more established than the article submission site(s) you are submitting to, you won't be getting credit for the article anyway, so why waste your time?

Better time can be spent on developing quality content, putting it on your own site and generating buzz and links to it so you get the benefits and value from it, not someone else.

I think the big question is, can you still get enough traffic or backlinks using these techniques to make them worth the effort?
    I think it depends on the category of your article. I would guess that article submission sites have different categories. I'm sure some categories are more popular than others and see a lot more submissions than others. If your article falls under the category that doesn't get lots of submissions, you can probably see more benefits than submitting to a popular category. Clearly, I have not researched this and could be far off course but based on feedback from others I've spoken to, this is my conclusion.

If you are hell bent on submitting articles to submission sites, I would recommend modifying your article so it's not the same as others on the web. The more of the same article, the more potential for it to get flagged as dupe content.

Comments on this post

• i24designs agrees : Good Advice, that I should have listened to the first time around!
  13. Contributing User

I generally do not put the same content on my website that I have submitted to an article site, because I have heard Google (Matt) say that Google's Duplicate Content Filter will decide what content gets filtered out as a duplicate and it might end up being your original content.

That said, if you are not planning on putting the same content on your site, this is no longer an issue.

If your goal is to get more traffic and backlinks... IMHO we only need to worry whether Google will ignore all the duplicate articles submitted to each article site... because if they are ignored, then your backlinks will be ignored and you won't get as much traffic benefit, because most of your articles will not show up in the SERPs... and we should also consider the value of those links and traffic.

Just to demonstrate what I am thinking
    , I picked an article from ezinearticles.com, I simply choose a category from the business section and hit "Display by Oldest" and grabbed the title of an older article....

This article has been viewed almost 2000 times just counting ezinearticles's views and it was submitted on: April 08, 2005 so by now I think we can assume Google's duplicate content filter should be done doing whatever it was going to do....

Next I did a Google Search for the article's title in quotes "Microsoft Great Plains - Payroll & HR Inexpensive Solution? Not Any More" and found we get a result of around 550, when I hid the omitted results, 37 results were returned.

After a quick check of some of the results.. I saw the usual suspects, some broken pages, a few articles with the article links removed.... but surprisingly after 4 years, Google's duplicate content filter has still left many of the original articles site submissions intact and also some syndicated versions of the article.

It appears that the article could still be providing traffic and backlinks after 4 years.

One thing I think has to be considered is the value of the backlinks and how targeted the traffic is?, but it seems that Google is allowing many versions of the same content, which implies we are getting multiple backlinks and potentially more traffic from a single article submitted to multiple sites.

It would be interesting see some research or hear about some forum members experiences concerning some real world SEO value, ROI and Conversion rates gained from this sort of article marketing.

What do you guys think about this?
    Does anyone have suggestions for further research or results and experiences to share?
    Last edited by i24designs; Apr 15th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I like to think that the articles aren't dead. I think many backlink opportunities will be lost if it truelly is dead.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Running a test...

I'm about to submit 1 article to 1000 article directories to see how many backlinks i actually get back. Will report back. Everyone says different things, so just test it out yourself and find out what works for you.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by SEO-Doctor
    I'm about to submit 1 article to 1000 article directories to see how many backlinks i actually get back. Will report back. Everyone says different things, so just test it out yourself and find out what works for you.
    I would like to here about your results, but I think it will take a long time for all of your articles to get reviewed, approved by submission sites and indexed and evaluated by the Google Duplicate Content filter...

Also, I am not sure if there are 1000 Article Submission sites worth submitting to...
  21. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Article marketing is dead?
    Not so much dead but evolved... Having your article included on another site can be an excellent way to get backlinks and direct traffic. BUT not bulk submission article sites.

Some ways that can get you quality links from article writing are: Approach blogs/websites in your field and offer them free content. Write a good email telling them why you like their site and that you would like to give them a relevant article. Tell them this article will be exclusive to their site. Include a single link back to your site. People are always looking for quality unique content. But remember these articles must be as good or better then the content already on their site.

Another approach is to contact a community portal and offer to do a regular article for them on a relevant topic. Make the article very good and this may bring direct traffic as well as a link. This method works quite well for us.

A third method is to offer with another site a page exchange rather than a link exchange. You put an article on their site with a link/s back and they put one on your site with a link/s back. Insist on quality. This means the only link/s on the page is to you.

Join/create a content creation network. Develop a topical community/theme resource base that attracts its own links. All members submit content and benefit from the link juice of the network.

Article marketing is not dead it is just harder to get benefit from it. Submitting average articles to article sites IMO is not worth the effort.

Best of luck

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : I agree and (hopefully) will push you over the 100 rep power my friend.
    • Lb1878 agrees : Nicely put
    • i24designs agrees : Great Ideas... Thanks for sharing and helping us to "Think Outside of the Box"!
    • jsteele823 agrees : Easier to think outside the box, when you're outside the box, eh? How's Hong Kong anyway?
    • hotrod1965 agrees : Amen!
    Live the moment
  23. Contributing User

Thumbs up

WOW, Great advice and ideas... I can see how this could be a much better use of resources. Do you think it is still worth submitting 1-2 articles to ezinearticles.com, if you have a brand new site you are looking for a quick way to get a trusted site to link you?
  25. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

WOW, Great advice and ideas... I can see how this could be a much better use of resources. Do you think it is still worth submitting 1-2 articles to ezinearticles.com, if you have a brand new site you are looking for a quick way to get a trusted site to link you?
    I think you already know the answer... The quality of the advice you gave in the other thread is the way to go..

The only advantage of doing near worthless things is beating people who are doing nothing. If the market you are seeking to capture has money in it this method is unlikley to be of much help.

In the end its all about ROI and opportunity cost. Personally when I roll the dice I like to be playing for something worth winning....
  27. Contributing User

Thanks... I see your point, quick and easy ends up being a waste time and resources and gives you very little real benefit.
  29. Contributing User

I meant to post this earlier... but if anyone still wants to do article submissions I posted a list of some of the Highest PR, DoFollow Article Submission sites on another thread in the forum, here is the link: Top Article Submission Sites.

I understand that some of you may have clients that still demand article submission services, so the list might be useful to you. There are a lot of crappy lists floating around, but I spent a lot of time making sure all the sites on this list are high PR and traffic, do-Follow sites.... (Just look for my Post to make sure you get the right one).....

As for me, I am taking gazzahk's advice and hanging onto my content!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: