1. Power. Love. Sound Mind.
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Wordpress or static for developing expired domain.

Hey folks. I'm new here, but not new to SEO. I am new, however to buying and developing expired domains. I've been browsing through some past threads and now I have some questions of my own.

Let's start with this one:

Let's say I am buying a domain with the purpose of building on a site on it and then farming out links to some of my other sites.

Do you think it makes a difference whether the site is a wordpress blog or a static site? What do you guys do?
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dunamis
    Hey folks. I'm new here, but not new to SEO. I am new, however to buying and developing expired domains. I've been browsing through some past threads and now I have some questions of my own.

Let's start with this one:

Let's say I am buying a domain with the purpose of building on a site on it and then farming out links to some of my other sites.

Do you think it makes a difference whether the site is a wordpress blog or a static site? What do you guys do?
    In my experience Google loves Wordpress sites. You didn't say whether you had web development experience, but I don't and I find WP easy to setup plus the plugin ecosystem is vast, so it's easy to implement additional functionality.
  5. Power. Love. Sound Mind.

Originally Posted by lhw455
    In my experience Google loves Wordpress sites. You didn't say whether you had web development experience, but I don't and I find WP easy to setup plus the plugin ecosystem is vast, so it's easy to implement additional functionality.
    Thanks lhw. Coding a site is not a problem for me.

I agree with you that Google seems to like WP sites - some of my WP blogs get added to the serps within minutes of a new post being added.
  7. No Profile Picture

You can still have the blog portion for the static site. Static pages are good for sales copy, or basic business pages. Not sure which would be better in your case.
  9. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I've just started researching purchasing expired domains and based on a few discussions with people who have done it in the past, Wordpress seems to be the popular vote.

I think it's popular b/c little is needed in terms of design sense as you can slap a theme up and go; it's less time consuming I would imagine. The alternative is spending time on developing static pages like you mentioned. If you are proficient at designing pages and programming them, more power to you and it may be worth it for you to go this route.

I could be wrong but my plan is to go the Wordpress route when I become more proficient and understand buying expired domains. It is worth noting that I am not a designer nor a programmer so this was a no brainer for me.
    Last edited by Lb1878; Feb 22nd, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  11. Power. Love. Sound Mind.

Interesting. If the only benefit is because it is easier to do, then I may just slap up a static page.

Really, I can make a static page quickly, and then the next time I have an expired domain to develop just use the same page with some slight modifications. I think it would be even quicker than setting up WP.

It doesn't look like there is any SEO benefit to using WP then.
  13. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Dunamis
    Interesting. If the only benefit is because it is easier to do, then I may just slap up a static page.

Really, I can make a static page quickly, and then the next time I have an expired domain to develop just use the same page with some slight modifications. I think it would be even quicker than setting up WP.

It doesn't look like there is any SEO benefit to using WP then.
    Don't quote me on it as I have not tried this yet but I was sharing what I have taken from a few discussions. It was my own summary as to why so I don't know for sure what is tried and true. I think you could easily experiment with this since you are proficient at creating static pages. I'm jealous of your skill..haha

I think you said it earlier that your WP posts usually end up in Google's index pretty quickly. I have seen similar results with our blog posts. I think Google assigns a level of trust with WP blogs. Take that for what it is worth.

All things being equal in terms of developing the pages, I think it would come down to how well the expired domain was situated and how quickly new content will get indexed. I am not aware of what legwork would need to be completed, if any, to let SE's know you added new content. At least with WP, the software usually sends out a ping.

I am interested in hearing what you decided and if you ran a test for each. Please come back and share your findings.