Results: will google ever ignore reciprocated links? 

Voters
17 You may not vote on this poll

• Yes
    17.65%
  • No
    14  82.35%
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Will google ever ignore reciprocated links?

It's obvious that the search engines don't like their search results influenced, so wouldn't it make sense for them to ignore inbound links that are reciprocated by the domain they point to???

This would also, in theory , improve their search results by moving the 'quality content' sites to the top.

What does everyone reckon?
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Inbound links are "votes".

As most site owners won't link to a useless site this is a bit like quality control.

Of course - it be manipulated - but it is better than allowing a single site owner to do this:

Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword Keyword keyword keyword keyword

...and then hide it... right?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

IMHO, SEs will give greater importance to links, both incoming and outgoing. This will eliminate the link farm over time. I expect to see Google judge outbound links as they do inbound links. Quality sites that are visitor oriented dont link to completely unrelated topics, FFA's and non-site hosted link farms, so I think it is a safe bet that Google will incorporate this into the algo.

Any thoughts on this?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If a link represents a vote for a particular site being an authority on a particular subject then Google can not discount reciprical links to do so would prevent a site dedicated to all aspects of history from linking to a site dedicated to web site marketing and that site also saying that www.authorityonaparticularmatter.votedforbyeveryon e is an authorty on a different matter then they are.

In other words a site could not tell the world that www.bestwebsitemarketingever.wackeyworld was their recognised authority on such matters.

Isn't this what the link structure is really saying according to the Google?

Just my $.01125 US adjusted for inflation 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
    theBear
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

By reciprocal link, I assume you mean any situation where page A refers to page B and B refers to page A.

The problem is that reciprocal links are a legitimate design strategy and occur naturally. In my case, I have a page of photographs of an area and one with info on the area. The two pages reinforce each other. Without thinking about SEO, I linked the pages because they enhance eachother.

Imagine two physicists working in the same field and talking about the same subject. It is highly likely that the two works will end up citing eachother.

You will find this pattern of long drawn out conversations between two professors throughout history.

I suspect that if you took a segment of the web that was designed without SEO in mind, you would find an extremely large occurence of reciprocal links. A <==> B

If Google finds a way of punishing reciprocal links, then you will see a situation where SEO slime will create a pattern of links that is not caught by the filter. Google will then be punishing people who are using natural patterns of page design...while giving even more weight to the people manipulating the system.
  11. Contributing User

A (possibly delusional) opinion on the future of reciprocal links.

If you accept that linking is one of the major factors in ranking pages then it is inconceivable that it would make sense for search engines to ignore inbound links that are reciprocated.

It is more likely that with increases in computation power and cheaper storage that another factor based upon the theme or content on the site will eventually be used to rank the links with less relevant links given less credit (rather than just blindly using the page rank of the referring page as the basis for the credit).

At the same time I still believe that every link will still transfer some page rank, but don't forget that page rank is only part of the equation. Relevancy of content on the page is very important and whilst this is currently measured crudely with word and phrase densities, proximities, page positions and types (H1, H2, title, body, etc.) if the technology for categorising pages based upon themes is to become a reality then a more advanced content parser will be necessary, which would mean that word and phrase relevancy are likely to be fine tuned before any major changes to the page rank system are implemented.

I think that this is already beginning to happen albeit in a very basic way through the analysis the text contained in the link and the type of referring site.

I hope that this type of technology is implemented by Google and others as it will make it extreemly difficult to fudge the results. That said I appreciate the need for relatively simple and speedy algorithms to stop the SEs coming to a crawl (no pun intended) so it may be long while (completely dependant on the competition to develop cheap x86 based 64bit computing, as this would be the most convenient solution fo the big G and its redundant arrays of inexpensive servers) before it becomes feasible.

(TANGENT: There was an article where a chappy thought that he could predict the position of any site in google based solely upon the number and type of categories the site was entered in the ODP.

Whilst I think that he must have fudged the results to make a fit I do believe he had a reasonable assumption and his own big headedness got the better of him i.e. The ODP categories allow google to assume a high level of relevance and tied in with the anchor text are an easy way of measuring link confidence.)