Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Where do you find your link opportunities?

I took this response from another thread as I though it worthy of its own discussion in this forum…. (Thanks JS)

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    I think a more important question is where do you find your link opportunities...

If you're randomly searching the net, you're more likely to be the kind of person to need a tool or some metric.

If you know where to go to find quality sources of information, then you shouldn't need anything other than contact information.
    This is probably one of the BEST QUESTIONS EVERY ASKED HERE I hope it engenders some useful answers…..

Ok I will start with one method I often find useful…. Arrhhh but do you want to share your secrets? …. So there is the challenge you tell me your methods and I will share some of mine….

Comments on this post

• seopeak agrees : Great Question :)
    • GabrielG agrees
    • agrees : Great idea
    Live the moment
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Let's start with the easy ones......

I think by far the easiest road to take when learning the ropes in a new industry - ask the owner of the business what sources they use for their information.

Endorse that information owner on your own site - then see if they like to "toot their own horn".

Find the person most likely to be involved with actually changing the website (but yet still has the "authority" to make a change on their own) and offer them a "testimonial".

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : That's clever.. I like that.
    • gazzahk agrees : Rep for coming up with a great question :-)
    • googler agrees : testimonials! brilliant
  5. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

i usually play with my search queries.. google search commands really make a difference..
  7. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by leftybogs
    i usually play with my search queries.. google search commands really make a difference..
    Sorry I do not understand... Can you please explain what you mean?
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is going to be a good discussion.

For my veterinary site I don't really go directly searching for linking opportunities. However, I follow several of the leading veterinary website owners on Twitter and I see what kind of stuff they link to, and then I create similar stuff and tweet to them about it. It will sometimes equate to a link.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Great tip... Thank you
    • jsteele823 agrees : Give 'em what they want....
    • abilitydesigns agrees : shhhhh....;)
    • EGOL agrees : Good strategy.
    • googler agrees
    • distinctseo agrees : content generation FTW
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    When I used to search for links (a few years back) I did exhaustive research as to web site decision-makers in public and higher education libraries to locate their names and direct e-mail addresses. I also then did the same within the U.S. business schools to locate instructors/professors in the discipline that our site targets.

Once those e-mail lists were assembled, I test marketed varying approaches as to SUPER personalized e-mails to see which approaches were responsible for higher closure rate on obtaining backlinks to our content. Those personalized e-mails focused on why our content should be offered to their students. This approach was highly time consuming, but it resulted in many .edu one-way backlinks. Since those days we only focus on content and no longer search for backlinks. Our backlinks continue to grow without any contact with our user base.

Some say we are lucky. They are right, in the Internet world, superior content creates a lot of luck.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Ecellent method for quality useful content. thank you..
    • distinctseo agrees
    • cksone agrees : This is gold!
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Sep 14th, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

The problem here - most people that have truly successful websites realize they no longer need to spend time, effort, and resources chasing links.

The problem is - how do you get to that point?

A site that from the beginning focuses only on their content, presentation, and conversions will get nowhere (unless you're famous). Promotion is key.

What do you do when you're starting off? Where do you get your first customer (not including friends, family, or neighbors of course....)? And then from there, how do you turn one customer into 1,000 and reach the point where you can focus your efforts on the experience you provide?

There are no dumb ideas in this regard, but let's keep answers creative. None of the free-for-all type links here.

Come on people - what do you do?
  15. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Once you built your kingdom, it's easy, you plug the new site from a related page off one of your popular sites. But for the very first site... you have to be a brown nose to someone... like get SEO_AM to link you off one of his pages.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Good advice... Ask everyone you know who has a website to give you a link. Do what it takes to convince them....
    • jsteele823 agrees : yup
    • abilitydesigns agrees
    • EGOL agrees : Maybe you can get a link from your Mum's blog?
    • googler agrees
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  17. shuffle up and deal

This one isn't going to set the world on fire but can be an excellent source of links.

Check out http://myblogguest.com/. There are links there for virtually any sector making highly relevant links pretty easy to come by. This shouldn't form the cornerstone of your link building but a couple of hours a day WILL show some pretty decent results.

Another upside is that you get to know/meet other site owners in your sector which can lead to other better link opportunities.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : wow! thanks... thats a great link for people to investigate..
    • jsteele823 agrees
    • distinctseo agrees
    • EdmontonSeoLeo agrees : Thanks for this. Great for someone like me, trying to meet other bloggers!!
    • Ann Smarty agrees : One word: THANKS! I appreciate the mention :)
  19. Silent Observer
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

( hint): The Best type of links come from people who have no idea about SEO but are passionate about their niche/content.. #ninja

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees : Great point!
    • gazzahk agrees : yep.. links existed long before Google started using them as the basis of its algo...
    • EGOL agrees : They link to quality!
    • lawrence986 agrees : cool,, i guess that is "Return to innocence"
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with Excellence."

“Underpromise and Overdeliver !”
  21. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

• Directory submission are good start but it is less in no.

• Getting links from relevant sites.

• Find out you relevant web blogs and ask them to publish your links from their guest post or blog roll. For that you need to offer them good content for their blog.

• Increase your follower at twitter, they should twit you on your updates

• Increase your likes at face book

• Citation building will be great if you target local market

• Getting links from local chamber of commerce if you target local market

• Think user prospective, develop the content in this aspect and market them as you can

I don't think so we can run SEO campaign on any predefine module but yes there is no any substitute of quality content.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : thanks for contibuting
    • EGOL agrees : Thanks Stan!
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Sep 19th, 2011 at 06:39 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  23. -

I actually posted about this before but..

Part of my product range is furniture's, I contacted a number of furniture donation charities and said what a fantastic cause and that I would like to include a small advertisement for them on my site to raise awareness + what would they like it say.

Only one got back to me which I was a little surprised about, but they took me up on it and I got a small acknowledgement on their site with a link.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Cool..
    • googler agrees : Good stuff!
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  25. -

Lol you're not impressed are you gazzahk.. granted a reciprocal link is far from the best thing ever, but charities have some high PR and if you could do something for them that they would give you a link back for then it could be very worth while.

Also doesn't hurt to do things for a good cause, even if your motivation may be a little selfish.

Just an idea anyway that I thought was at least a little more out of the box.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Darren I am impressed with the thinking and very appreciative of the contribution.. Thank you..
    • EGOL agrees
  27. Super Moderator

1. Fortunately after SEOing for seven years in the same industry... I know some peeps

2. I see who links to the authorities in my industry, I then find out who can change the site, or who would be interested enough to make a change happen. I then pitch my content... get some juicies that way.

3. My industry fortunately has a lot of non-profits. For some simple website edits, a little consulting time or a small donation juicies can be had.

4. Successful use of blog - create a blog that has regular contributors, experts per se who will promote their own content - best of all the content in on you site... you are getting free content and free promotion! And the whole time the expert thinks it is because you actually like them!

5. Go forth and "rent" adspace, but don't buy links.

6. Guest post, have your writers (or yourself) write on others blogs. Then you can think others like you!

7. Build it and they will come - this is most important. From experience, if your content is best in the industry (you know what they say about opinions). The links you get to it will vindicate your ego

8. Get your content peer-reviewed, often you will get linked back, people love to show how smart they are (and criticize)

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : Some great stuff here...
    • EGOL agrees : Build it and they will come..... that's the very best way! Nice. :P
    • Dr.Marie agrees : Ooooh...that's a neat idea to offer to help with their website in return for a link!
    • jsteele823 agrees : Excellent - great tips about stroking egos as well
    • abilitydesigns agrees
    • distinctseo agrees
    • Lb1878 agrees
    Last edited by googler; Sep 15th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  29. Roll the dice.. and live

Wow… Guys and Girls some truly great tips and ideas coming out here…. ……

Originally Posted by googler
    5. Go forth and "rent" adspace, but don't buy links.
    This one is often overlooked. If you buy add space and the seller does not include no-follow on your link it is not your fault…. Most people have no idea about Google views on no-follow… You may pick up some excellent links. This can be a very good method to get local links and a geo advantage also….

Friends keep the great methods that you have used to find linking opportunities coming... Already this thread has got me thinking about some new angles to devlop my new website...

Thanks a lot...

Comments on this post

• googler agrees : thanks for starting such a great thread!
    • sanduskyseo agrees
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: