1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Too many "visit homepage" links due to a forum profile?

I've just had a professional link analysis done on my website due to a slow but consistant drop in rankings. It has flagged up a potential issue which is that I have hundreds of links coming to a page on my site with the anchor text of "visit homepage".

Basically, I have been posting on a vBulletin forum for several years and in my profile I put in a link to my site. It seems this link to my site is visable on every post I make - when you hover over my username a drop down appears with various links like view my forum profile and the said "visit homepage" which links to my site.

This link is easily removed if it is a problem but as it equates to a huge amount of backlinks to my site (albeit from the one domain) and people from the forum do use it to get in contact with me so I'm not keen to remove it unless it is 100% causing an issue to my rankings.

Any suggestions on this?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I doubt that's a problem. turn it off and see, you can always turn it back on. I doubt you'll see any change.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I doubt that's a problem. turn it off and see, you can always turn it back on. I doubt you'll see any change.
    I was debating about this option but as there are hundreds of backlinks, turning it off would take months to clear due to the number of pages Google would have to recrawl before it shows all the links as gone - some of these are really old thread posts so could be even longer than that! The reverse process would then also take a similiar length of time.

I know the link(s) are probably of no issue but it is when you look at my entire link profile and this one forum is making my main incoming anchor text as "visit homepage" instead of my preferred keywords it does look a bit strange.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

I dont think so that this is the problem. Check out other factors. Did you think that maybe your competitors are just building backlinks faster like you and thats why is the "slow "drop on serps?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seopeak
    Did you think that maybe your competitors are just building backlinks faster like you and thats why is the "slow "drop on serps?
    I think you are 100% correct and know for a fact that my competitors are building faster than me at the moment, HOWEVER, I wish to clear up any potential issues with this company's backlinks before I get cracking on building new ones.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok, what about the anchor text? I mean the other anchor texts. How much % is your main keyword?
  13. No Profile Picture

I'm going on memory as don't have the report to hand at the moment but it looks a bit like this:

1. "visit homepage" (67%)
    2. "keyword phrase 1" (8%)
    3. "keyword phrase 2" (6%)
    4. "keyword phrase 3" (5%)
  15. justanotherseoguy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I bet that link is nofollow, plus the anchor text is not commercial, so technically you are in compliance with Webmaster Guidelines.
    Perhaps the steady decline has been due to something else.
    If your website was penalized, you'd see a sudden drop in rankings/traffic.

Comments on this post

• PhilipSEO agrees : makes sense
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Have you made an changes to the menu structure or radical content changes? It's unlikely the link you mentioned is the source. You need to dig deeper to get at the actual cause.
  19. No Profile Picture

The link is a "do follow" but it seems from replies it isn't an issue.

There have been no major structure/content changes. Beginning to believe my competition has simply upped their efforts - I'm up against some big names and therefore big budgets.
  21. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by jenny22x
    slow but consistant drop in rankings
    know for a fact that my competitors are building faster than me at the moment
    Put those two together along with everything else you have said and I would come to the conclusion that you have no link problems from the vB links you're questioning!

The link is a "do follow" but it seems from replies it isn't an issue.

There have been no major structure/content changes. Beginning to believe my competition has simply upped their efforts - I'm up against some big names and therefore big budgets.
    Honestly, it sounds like you have let the seo slip and little and got behind your competitors - who are likely putting more effort into seo around this time of year due to all the holidays (presuming its e-com?) - meaning your rankings are not suffering, but others are simply doing better to rank above you.

If your not convinced about the link profile, post your domain(dot)com and I'm sure I and others would be happy to give a deeper opinion once we can see it
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  23. No Profile Picture
    Banned

One idea might be to test what happens when you use the Google Disavow tool on one of the links you think is bad? This might be able to solve the problem by allowing you to keep all your links up while at the same time letting Google know to ignore the links and not to penalize you for them. I would consider testing 1 link and doing an analysis. Any way to go back and switch the "visit homepage" anchor text to a robust mix of keyword phrases? What was the report tool that told you these links were bad?