1. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

These Three Major Websites are Nofollowing All Links in All Content

Another hot tip from Threadwatch! SocialMediaToday, SiteProNews, and Inc.com have nofollowed all links in all content. Author links in bios continue to be dofollow.

Says a Threadwatch user:

Sites whose links still have value will see an increase in authorship requests and content submissions while sites that nofollow links are likely to see declining content submissions over time as people realize being mentioned on that site has less value to them.

Mentions on sites that are not nofollowed are often heavily promoted by those being mentioned via social media, paid Facebook promotions, and other paid ads. Sites that nofollow links will see less money spent by others driving traffic to their site.

Yes, if you get a mention on Inc. you may still promote it, but if your business gets mentioned on both Forbes and Inc. which one will your business put their money behind promoting? No one can blame a site for wanting to protect themselves from potential penalties; however, they do need to take these other factors into consideration when making that decision.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Not sure what the point of DOFOLLOW Author links are in bio... These are the links that get abused the most.

Comments on this post

• shankar67 : So that you can connect with their world personally
  5. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Aye, I'm not sure why they left those as dofollow when they nofollowed the rest.

There seems to be the implication that nofollowing all content links will lead to a decrease in submitted content - but does that hold water and is it anything to worry about? I'd think that quality writers looking for an audience and exposure will continue to submit, while those looking for a quick link will be the ones to abandon ship.
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by markroberts
    Aye, I'm not sure why they left those as dofollow when they nofollowed the rest.

There seems to be the implication that nofollowing all content links will lead to a decrease in submitted content - but does that hold water and is it anything to worry about? I'd think that quality writers looking for an audience and exposure will continue to submit, while those looking for a quick link will be the ones to abandon ship.
    I wouldn't want content from anyone that merely wanted a dofollow link... That's begging for lost reputation & trust in Google, as such links can be easily claimed as paid links... FREE content in lieu of FEE content where the PageRank is the FEE!