1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Is Site-wide links are safe?

Hello!
    I have just started link-bulding strategy for b2b website.
    I recently found out that company which i work with, has a lot of other websites.
    5-11 big streams with market information. Very big google-site.
    Every of this is in another language. .fr. .com, .ro, .hu
    The link will be legit and directing to our b2b offer.
    I wonder if it is save to put link to my webiste in such a place as footer.
    I guess it's better to put no-follow but why should i care?
    Big brands don't care how you can see in this example How 16 Companies are Dominating the World’s Google Search Results
    What do you think guys?
    Cheers!
  3. UK Based SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Nope you dont want site wide links, not ideal and can actually cause more harm than good
    "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Internal links are good but external sitewide can cause problems.
  7. Contributing User

Hello! Thank you for feedback. Do you have any examples? Cases when standard in-listed link causes the problem?
  9. UK Based SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Very hard to show you examples of links that cause the problem, there is no real visual way of showing you that.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by sylwestrus
    Hello! Thank you for feedback. Do you have any examples? Cases when standard in-listed link causes the problem?
    Look at it from this point of view....

On every page of a website in the footer, you have an external link pointing to the Web Designer and Seo Professional that optimizes your site.
    1 external link is acceptable by Google, but the same link on every page is very artificial. This becomes spamm, when the site is very large.
    Imagine a site with 100's of pages, you could, as was the case before Penguin, create many 100's of links to one site and get a boost from it..
    Google got smarter and decided it is now spamm to do so. It hurts the site pointed to and devalues the links from the site it comes from.

A link pointing to your privacy policy in the footer of every page is practical and ok, This link is useful for the visitor.

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Internal links are good but external sitewide can cause problems

Test-ok is giving you the straight of it!!!

Now do you understand his remark ???
  13. Contributing User

It's not like spammy footer created by webdesigners. Is more like in example which i have sent you at the begining. Image comes from this article.
  15. No Profile Picture

It's not like spammy footer created by webdesigners. Is more like in example which i have sent you at the begining. Image comes from this article.
    Let me put it another way....

How can the same external link appear in the footer of every webpage on a site naturally ????

Answer -- It can't, it's a created link for no other purpose than to manipulate the ranking of the external site. I call bullsh*t otherwise.

To do so is to invite the wrath of Google down upon your site. Do so at your own risk, but don't say you are not fore-warned.
    How many ways do we have to say---- "NO!!! Don't Do It, It's a BAD IDEA!!"

Site Navigation is one thing, but if you must have the site-wide link pointing to an external site , at least make it a "No-Follow"

Please go read this ..... https://moz.com/community/q/sitewide...nks-bad-or-not

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    • Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 18th, 2016 at 05:42 PM.
  17. Contributing User

1. Please can anybody move this topic to category : Link Development.
    2. Why you become so nervous. For me this link is complietly natural. If it is bad idea please give me hard examples not "catchwords" taken from fancy conferences.
    The link you have sent has no conclusion.
  19. No Profile Picture

1. Please can anybody move this topic to category : Link Development.
    2. Why you become so nervous. For me this link is complietly natural. If it is bad idea please give me hard examples not "catchwords" taken from fancy conferences.
    The link you have sent has no conclusion.
    1. Footer links are used to provide additional link juice to pages on your site that are not your primary target of focus. Examples of these type
    of pages would be your contact page, Your About Us page,. Also pages that provide "Value to your Visitor"

2. Every link on a given page dilutes the link juice of the page it appears on by dividing the juice of the page by the number of outgoing links,
    whether they be off-site or internal on-site. So if your page has 10 outgoing links and your page had say a pr of 2. Then each link would carry
    a value of 2 (the pr of said page) / 10 outbound links = ..2. The more links outbound the less juice each link carries.
    (I thought I should add this to clarify my meaning)

(edited as an after thought)
    Oh btw this is a very simplified version of the PR formula. but here is the formula
    PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))
    where
    PR(A) is the PageRank of page A,
    PR(Ti) is the PageRank of pages Ti which link to page A,
    C(Ti) is the number of outbound links on page Ti and
    d is a damping factor which can be set between 0 and 1.

3. Usually a smart Seo will help weaker pages with links in the footer, ( This is called PR Sculpting, one of the Reasons Google Made PENGUIN, to fight this tactic, just my opinion )
    4. Internal links to your inner pages is not seen as link spamm or as intended to manipulate the ranking of another website. Google frowns on
    this practice very badly.

Not widely know or mentioned by folks (well none professionial SEO's) is that the number of clicks to reach a given page from the home page of a webstie also plays a part in the overall
    visitor experience. So deeper pages of your website that take more than 4 clicks are primary candidates for footer links on your website to make said deep
    pages easier to get to and bring them within the 4 clicks to reach.

You see and hear of folks robbing banks in the news all the time. Bank Robbery is a "Bad Idea" Don't Do It". You understand this to be true, and you don't go out robbing banks just because
    your cash is low and you sometimes see and hear of folks getting away with it. But when was the last time you heard of someone doing it
    over and over and not getting caught!!. You know this is a bad idea and if you get caught you go to jail. Well, Google will not send you to jail, but they will penalize your site
    with things called "Panda, Penguin" just to name a couple of them. Not having your website indexed or showing up on page 1 is sorta kinda like jail.
    I sure as hell want to be on page 1 and not de-indexed or kept on pages less than 1 of the search engines.!!

edited because I accidentally mixed two message in my copy and paste. Sorry about that guys...

Have I taken, ie removed the confusion in your mind now ?

Have a good day Mate !!

PS. Out bound links to external sites, ie site-wide links in the footer are "BAD DON'T DO IT !! Take our word on this. Why would we lie !! You have nothing I want or need !! No Offense mate.
    and btw the way. LOL I am not nervous. Just one final word on outbound links.....
    Google decides what is natural and what is not natural, to go against Google is a BAD IDEA !
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 19th, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture

May I suggest someone please close this thread, thank you......