1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thumbs up Single Or Multiple Domain

hi there,

i want to open 10 shopping sites. Each of these shopping sites will have 10,000 pages. This will give 100,000 pages for all the shopping sites combined.

And I have two choices. (1) I can have 10 different domain names, or (2) one domain name for all of the shopping sites.

(1) If I choose to have 10 different domain names, one domain for each shopping site, each site would have 10,000 web pages.

(2) If I choose to have one domain name for all the shopping site, the site would have a total of 100,000 web pages. I would then have to create 10 folders, each folder would be a different shopping site. The main page would then have links to each of the 10 folders.

Suggest me, which would be a better solution?
  3. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

If you use one domain then the related topics or theme that your site will have will be less targeted than if each site is on its own domain.

But....

If you use one domain and create a portal type website where you have 10 subdomains - one for each shopping site - you will essentially be organized like 10 different sites. Its much easier to market and gain Back links for one domain than it is for 10 different domains.
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Keep in mind all your 10 websites would be on the same IP, and I would recommend not to do a lot of interlinking if you use subdomains. If I were you, I would use 10 different folders.
    Web Site Promotion India - Web Site Design India - Buy SiteWideLinks : $9.99 Links - PM Me if you need - Call 1.877.822.0875 for all kinds of Web Design, SEO - Link Building - Directory Submission Services.
  7. No Profile Picture
    EarlGrey
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)
    If you do interlink the 10 domains you need to make sure you have thousands of different backlinks to each of the 10 sites to conteract what the search engines could see as spamming.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Consider your users. Do they want, or need, 10 different domains? Are the products and layouts of the various sites going to be so different that you are providing value to the end user? If you are ethical, and have value for your users, then 10 domains is fine. The problem is, 99% of the people that think 10 domains are fine... are spammers.

SEO's are like drug dealers. At a certain point, life was easy. Then they started getting killed on corners and the laws got better at busting them. Now it's not so easy to make a quick buck selling drugs. At some point, the SE's are going to make life incrediblely hard for "fly by nighters" -- decide if you want the quick buck or a lifetime of income. There is always short-term money to be made, but the richest people in the world make their money over time.

Do the right thing.