1. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Originally Posted by PhilipSEO
    I am not quote sure what to make Cutts's response. It's almost as if he evades by changing the subject to outbound links.
    Matt almost never gives a truly direct answer (maybe he just does not know for sure what the technical detail is... his PhD is in computer graphics I think). He alludes to the fact that relevant authority sites give pause to Google in establishing page/site value in the users eyes... Is that not what Google is trying to do... find the correct RELEVANT page/site for the Google user/query?
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  3. rod@missionop.com

Q: So does relevance improve link juice?
    It's the other way around... the more related a page is to your link anchor the less juice you need (assumes the other factors may be weaker).

A pages relatedness is based on link anchors to it... and those - their relatedness are based on the link anchors to them (We can assume the content is proximity also plays a part).

A: Don't worry about linking out (and hence losing PR) if it's relevant and good for your users. By linking to relevant sites you increase value for your users, so they'll like it and link to you. You will thereby be compensated for the PR lost by linking out.

Hmmm.
    "LINKING OUT"... if this is your fear. What happens here... you have 2 related websites each pointing a link... both spent 1 million dollars on a massively "in demand" project and it go unbelievably viral and they jump from a few new links per day to 10's and 100's of thousands per day... what happens to your website?

Comments on this post

• PhilipSEO agrees : thanks for this
    Last edited by fathom; May 9th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
  5. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    But answer this... why when you link develop for 1 targeted phrase do you rank for others - "RELATED" longtail phrases?

...you didn't target them specifically... and yet they happen.

If "relevance" wasn't important - that wouldn't happen.
    Relevance is important. Your page is relevant to the longtail phrase, and Google recognizes it, so you rank for that phrase. Doesn't follow that it helps if the pages that link to your page are relevant either to it or to the phrase.

I need to crash, it's been a long day. I'll reread this stuff tomorrow.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; May 8th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
  7. rod@missionop.com

Relevance is important. Your page is relevant to the longtail phrase, and Google recognizes it, so you rank for that phrase. Doesn't follow that it helps if the pages that link to your page are relevant either to it or to the phrase.

I need to crash, it's been a long day. I'll reread this stuff tomorrow.
    One of the confusions people have with link development... completely unrelated links do work... you can technically do paid links from any domain and see results and that provides the illusion that links don't need to be related... and if you never attempt to determine what difference there is between the two your belief is as accurate as it can be based solely on your own experience.

There is no such thing as a completely unrelated link so all links tend to be worth something... but the more directly related a page is, a category, a website, a genre of websites (as illustrated by the links in their back-channels) the more power your link juice will have.

Link quality is extremely important and "quality" isn't just measured by PageRank.

Comments on this post

• prasunsen agrees : absolutely, relevance can play even bigger role than PR or authority sometimes (of course everything is relative)
    Last edited by fathom; May 9th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
  9. Roll the dice.. and live

gazzahk wrote a nuanced statement....
    On rereading, I don't understand most of this statement, though I think I understand the part about Microsoft.?
    My views on relevance are basically stated in this post a while back..

http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=686952&postcount=1

A link brings whatever it brings... It is the site that uses those things or not.

edit:

To add to what I said there my views have evolved a bit in the last year. In that I do not think Google views relevance as a single thing itís a combination of themes. Therefore it is not the same as the way a human sees relevance.

I would add a 5th thing that links bring to my earlier list 5th Direct traffic.
    Last edited by gazzahk; May 9th, 2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: added something
    Live the moment
  11. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    No disrespect intended but SEOMoz is about this: "sell the sizzle not the steak!"

In the past I've seen great stuff from SEOMoz... now they shovel ****! ...because it sells.
    The best post I've seen on this site so far.

Confirms everything I thought when I stopped by there just recently.

This thread is a useful discussion about something that actually matters. Good to see.
    Last edited by WhiteHatSEOMktg; May 10th, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
  13. Roll the dice.. and live

Some very specific answers from Google about many aspects of linking

"Google Experts Answer your SEO Questions"

http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-answers-seo-questions/13731/
  15. Philip@SearchBenefit.com

SEOmoz published this refresher today: nothing especially new but nice to have. To me the new idea referenced there was that of a page-level penalty for blog comment spam.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hey Phillip. Im a novice SEO person. Question on "no follow" links. In order for a link to be a "no follow" link, does the person have to define it as a no follow link. Or does google to the assesment on its own and convert it into a no follow link. Great post btw.
  19. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by nadirshah
    Hey Phillip. Im a novice SEO person. Question on "no follow" links. In order for a link to be a "no follow" link, does the person have to define it as a no follow link. Or does google to the assesment on its own and convert it into a no follow link. Great post btw.
    The rel="nofollow" attribute MUST BE in the link <a> element.
  21. No Profile Picture

thnx fathom. When u say "must" does it mean that I have to define it there.So if someone links to my site, and doesnt put the "no follow" attribute, will google some how assess its a reciprocal link and put the attribute there by default.
    If its a stupid question..then I just want to say Be gentle in your reply
  23. Philip@SearchBenefit.com

Originally Posted by nadirshah
    thnx fathom. When u say "must" does it mean that I have to define it there.So if someone links to my site, and doesnt put the "no follow" attribute, will google some how assess its a reciprocal link and put the attribute there by default.
    If its a stupid question..then I just want to say Be gentle in your reply
    The nofollow attribute has to be explicitly present for the link to be nofollow. Example:
    <a href="http://forums.seochat.com" rel="nofollow"></a>

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : ABSOLUTELY!
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Jun 29th, 2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo, thanks Nadirshah
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up Philip's 5-part

The 5-part link-building should be a must read on SEO-Link Building. Great info and great replies from so many people. Thank you very much.

Comments on this post

• jsteele823 agrees : It already is a sticky
    Last edited by seabreeze; Jul 17th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
  27. SEO Professional

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Matt almost never gives a truly direct answer (maybe he just does not know for sure what the technical detail is... his PhD is in computer graphics I think). He alludes to the fact that relevant authority sites give pause to Google in establishing page/site value in the users eyes... Is that not what Google is trying to do... find the correct RELEVANT page/site for the Google user/query?
    He definitely knows more than he lets on. He was educated in computer graphics and movement tracking, then moved into information retrieval & search engines so he really does have a good background. Correct me if I am wrong, but he made SafeSearch basically himself?

That being said, misinformation, lies, incorrect tutorials/articles with authors who have ulterior motives, and untested opinions on link building is rampant. Sticking to trusted sources is very important, but not as important as monitoring what works for you and what doesn't.
    Last edited by callenb; Jul 21st, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  29. No Profile Picture

Link building is the very good strategy for the SEO and It's not only one thing to do it but You've to more than that.