1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Removing links that were previously purchased

Hello,

I am completly new to SEO. My company in the past unfortunately purchased a good number of links. I've read this isnt a good practice.

We are considering taking them down but I want to know if that would really impact us in a negative way if we reduce the number of inbound links we have since it's a significant amount. However, would they really not be making much of a difference anyway since these were poor links to begin with?

Can someone offer any insights? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    I would leave those links alone and focus on diluting their ratio to "good" links by adding more natural looking links. Reason? There is a good possibility that those purchased links are contributing towards your success and may never be caught by Google. When and if caught, Google normally just devalues them. Leave them be.

Comments on this post

• seomonkeymanocp agrees : completely correct
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your response. Our site has been impacted tremendously by the Panda update. So we have been making a lot of changes and I wasnt sure if this should be another change we need to make. I wasnt sure if Google has discovered these links and how can we check if they have? Would it be in Webmaster Tools or is there no way to know?

So the best option would be to get better quality links and slowly take the purchased links down.
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Originally Posted by nycgirl917
    Thanks for your response. Our site has been impacted tremendously by the Panda update. So we have been making a lot of changes and I wasnt sure if this should be another change we need to make. I wasnt sure if Google has discovered these links and how can we check if they have? Would it be in Webmaster Tools or is there no way to know?

So the best option would be to get better quality links and slowly take the purchased links down.
    Google may ban sellers of links, but usually will just devalue purchased links of buyers. This is a good preventative measure. Who wants to buy links that may or may not have value? Google will not disclose if links are being devalued.

Links you already have may or may not have been devalued. Let them be, i.e. they can't hurt and may help.
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Why do you think your site's performance is Panda related?
  11. Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

What exactly is the impact that you think is caused by the Panda update?

What are the steps you are taking to correct it?

It could very well be that the impact that you think is because of the Panda update is actually because of those paid links getting devalued.

The problem with buying paid links is you tend to buy more of it when you see that the first ones you bought are generating positive results. So you keep on buying till the point Google discovers them and kills all...and there goes your ranks down the drain.
    Last edited by pro_seo; Sep 14th, 2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: grammatical error

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  13. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Originally Posted by pro_seo
    The problem with buying paid links is you tend to buy more of it when you see that the first ones you bought are generating positive results. So you keep on buying till the point Google discovers them and kills all...and there goes your ranks down the drain.
    Exactly. There is no way of knowing except to surmise that it happened because your link profile remains the same but your placement in the SERPs go into a hole.
  15. Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Exactly. There is no way of knowing except to surmise that it happened because your link profile remains the same but your placement in the SERPs go into a hole.
    Yup! The only way you know for sure that your paid links have been devalued when you lose a strong rank in Google for a term that was only used on those paid links (anchors)
  17. No Profile Picture

Hello,

We did have a problem with duplicate content and saw our search traffic drop significantly after February's update. We have since then removed the duplicate content and have gotten a lot of new, useful unique content but have not seen much improvement yet.

In terms of the paid links, they were purchased before my time so i'll go back and see what the anchor text says to see if they match some of the pages that significantly dropped in traffic.

So if the paid links have been devalued, than we should probably remove them? One person said to leave the links as they can't hurt so i'm unsure of what to do. Thanks for any further advice.
  19. No Profile Picture

You should buy links from your thematic websites. web contents must be close to your website. Links look natural, without any script.

I also want to purchase link for my websites (Parenting websites)

Could you please give me some list of websites which they offer paid links from high PR web pages.

PM me
  21. Contributing User

So if the paid links have been devalued, than we should probably remove them? One person said to leave the links as they can't hurt so i'm unsure of what to do. Thanks for any further advice.
    Both answers are the same - if they are devalued then they have no value, effectively like you haven't got them - just move on with 'better' link building and forget about the past links (valuable or devalued).