1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question Reciprocal links, I think they work

I started Justmommies with a lot of reciprocal linking. I am doing other things but that was one of the big things I was doing when I started. Lately I haven't been focusing on this and I probably won't but I may work on it for my other two sites. But I was looking at a competitors site. They aren't exactly a competitor but they are. Anyway, their site from as far as I can tell is getting almost all of its links from reciprocal linking! They are listed in dmoz, which who knows when I will get in, not like I haven't tried. But from what I can tell its all reciprocal. Anyway their PR is now a 6. So now I am thinking maybe I should work on this angle a little more. I am still trying to figure this stuff out. I don't think I should really have to rely on that as much for Justmommies since it is an information type site but I probably will have to do more of that for my other sites. So do you think reciprocal linking is just underrated?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, Patty, but backlinks are extremely important. Of course, there are debates about whether or not reciprocal links is given less credit than one-way links are given, and I don't have any conclusive proof one way or the other. But my opinion is that if you want to rank well, you need to be getting more backlinks, unless you have outpaced your competitors by a few miles and can afford to take a break from it. If that means having to reciprocate links, so be it. If you can find one-way links, even better. And themed links all the better still. But get those links.
  5. Contributing User

Reciprocal linking definitely helps. For competitive search phrases, it is not nearly enough and, of course, 1-way + themed links are the best.

But, absolutely we see that recips help quite a bit for slightly to medium competitive search phrases. Also, be sure to check if the reciproacting site really has an indexed links page and that they have not abused it with too many links per page.

3-way links and exchanging content are thought to be even better. Check my sig for a new site to help find all different kinds of link partners.
  7. Contributing User

Smile Sorry should have posted better

I guess I was just thinking reciprocal links were not going to help me as much as other links and now I am not so sure. I wasn't going to do as much reciprocal links with my new site and now I think I should. I just was surprised that this site is doing so well from reciprocal linking alone.