1. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Post Panda Link Building

Wondering if the trick is still straight up, company name, company domain as anchor text from either related niche websites or local websites? Does using 1 related keyword as anchor text (if you are linking to a page about tiny red widgets, get links on three sites using tiny on one, red on another, widgets on the third as the anchor text) in the content of a local or niche related site still work?

We are working on the content but it's always an uphill battle. We are also working on relationships with local websites and blogs as well as some industry related blogs.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Only the first coded link for top-left to bottom-right (reading from left to right and wrapped) to a specific URL destination counts, in Google anyway.

So if your first coded link is an image with alt="" and the second was a text link with <a>company name</a> and a 3rd, 4th & 5th were <a>Tiny</a> <a>Red</a> <a>Widgets</a>

Your relatedness passed to the destination URL was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
  5. Dancin with the devil

I'm not talking about these all on the same page or site. Sorry if I worded that poorly. I'm talking about a contextual link on Site A with the term "tiny" as the link, Site B with the term "red" as the link and Site C with the term "widgets" as the link. Three separate sites/pages, three different anchors but all pointing to the same destination page. Should I just stick to using the company name or domain as the anchor?
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    I'm not talking about these all on the same page or site. Sorry if I worded that poorly. I'm talking about a contextual link on Site A with the term "tiny" as the link, Site B with the term "red" as the link and Site C with the term "widgets" as the link. Three separate sites/pages, three different anchors but all pointing to the same destination page. Should I just stick to using the company name or domain as the anchor?
    YES... broadly focused anchors afford you numerous advantages.

1. If you target Tiny Red Widgets and such links are considered inorganic you greatly increase the risk of passing PENGUIN's detection threshold
    2. If you massively developed Tiny you might indeed garner a PENGUIN issue for Tiny but your attempts were never to rank for Tiny so that loss would be immaterial, and like you see with PENGUINized targeted phrases you still rank for much longer longtail phrases so you tend not to lose the desired value
    3. Specific phrase targeting afford results for Tiny Red Widgets but if the query was Tiny Redhead Widgets or Tiny Red Apple Widgets you'll never rank for those 'more detailed' phrases (with ease anyway) but by targeting individual words you get the "mix & match" value or phrase customization targeting.

There are a couple limitations especially with large scale usage:

1. Human detected webspam threshold skyrockets... be advised your links are without a doubt "webspam". You will acquire results, which means you will displace others, which means they will indeed research to see why you beat them... it might not be so easy to <a>Tiny</a> Red Widgets, Tiny <a>Red</a> Widgets, and Tiny Red <a>Widgets</a> as webspam on 3 different domains but competing domains won't just bow to your superior intellect. They will eventually determine this to be WEBSPAM and report it.

2. It would be best to make your domain(s) link profiles private through robots disallow and .htaccess redirecting bots. It compromises your ability to use public link checkers but you do have access to Google WMT.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees
  9. Dancin with the devil

Thank you for the feedback fathom. I always appreciate your view point. Truth be told, I really wanted to ask the best techniques for post panda (I really meant post PENGUIN update and cited the wrong update, my bad) link building but I wanted to research more and not ask what seems like a basic question without reading more on my own.

By passing penguin's detection threshold, you mean that the full keyterm in the anchor text would be no problem?

My initial thought was not to mass develop these links. I was going to mix it up between a few target terms, the domain and the business name. I was only looking at about 50-75 links and not built in a day. I recall the mix & match value about this technique which peaked my interest. I just didn't know if this was a no-no after the penguin update.

I was going to hit a few local sites and see if any of the target terms existed and request that anchor be linked to the site. I didn't have an intention to string the terms together, only linking one of the terms. Is this the wrong approach?

How exactly do I make a link profile private? I've never heard of this.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Thank you for the feedback fathom. I always appreciate your view point. Truth be told, I really wanted to ask the best techniques for post panda (I really meant post PENGUIN update and cited the wrong update, my bad) link building but I wanted to research more and not ask what seems like a basic question without reading more on my own.

By passing penguin's detection threshold, you mean that the full keyterm in the anchor text would be no problem?

My initial thought was not to mass develop these links. I was going to mix it up between a few target terms, the domain and the business name. I was only looking at about 50-75 links and not built in a day. I recall the mix & match value about this technique which peaked my interest. I just didn't know if this was a no-no after the penguin update.

I was going to hit a few local sites and see if any of the target terms existed and request that anchor be linked to the site. I didn't have an intention to string the terms together, only linking one of the terms. Is this the wrong approach?
    You are on the right track.

How exactly do I make a link profile private? I've never heard of this.
    Are you on an apache service?
  13. Dancin with the devil

Okay, cool thank you. I have a bit of reading ahead of me to make sure I'm not completely lost in this new link building landscape. I just want to be sure I'm not going to do something blatantly obvious to get caught up in a penguin zap. I'm so brainwashed with anchor text link building....

The site does have an htaccess file but I do not manage it. They have someone in-house.
  15. rod@missionop.com

Okay, cool thank you. I have a bit of reading ahead of me to make sure I'm not completely lost in this new link building landscape. I just want to be sure I'm not going to do something blatantly obvious to get caught up in a penguin zap. I'm so brainwashed with anchor text link building....

The site does have an htaccess file but I do not manage it. They have someone in-house.
    You really need someone with experience to ensure correctly implemented but add to .htaccess

Add to each domain that "PROVIDES links"

Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^rogerbot [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^dotbot [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^gigabot [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^exabot [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^MJ12bot [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^AhrefsBot [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^SiteBot
    RewriteRule .* - [F]
    It is best to also disallow the crawlers in robots.txt and if they already have links it can take a few months for those to show as LOST.
  17. Dancin with the devil

Interesting. Code and programming is definitely a huge short fall for me. Thanks for the input and I'll come back when I have a little more understanding on the above so I'm not asking such basic questions.