1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Need to build links and no clue how.

Hi all,

I really need to start building links with solid anchor text and no idea where to start. I see that I can pay for this stuff on fiverr but that doesn't seem like a smart idea to me.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Feeling clueless.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You'll get what you pay for on fiver, usually they will help screw up your site. Use anchor text like read more, view site, and single words your not wanting to rank for but works in a mix and match situation. In your case they would be
    PC
    Repair
    Sacramento
    computer
    Apple
    Mac
    Read more
    view site
    you won't rank for those particular key words but together you will, it'll also keep your backlink profile diverse. The read more and view site will aim the link to your page where the key words and phrases are, same with the single words.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    You'll get what you pay for on fiver, usually they will help screw up your site. Use anchor text like read more, view site, and single words your not wanting to rank for but works in a mix and match situation. In your case they would be
    PC
    Repair
    Sacramento
    computer
    Apple
    Mac
    Read more
    view site
    you won't rank for those particular key words but together you will, it'll also keep your backlink profile diverse. The read more and view site will aim the link to your page where the key words and phrases are, same with the single words.
    So where do I go if i want to build my own links? That is my hang up. I like the idea of doing it myself slowly over time rather than risking someone on fiverr screwing it up
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by yogabearpc
    where do I go if i want to build my own links? That is my hang up. I like the idea of doing it myself slowly over time rather than risking someone on fiverr screwing it up
    The real answer is "you don't"! Once you are listed on all the legitimate directories you are about done as far as 'link building' goes. From there you have to think about 'link earning'. What can you add to your website that people will want to link to - content / video / graphics /etc.

If your visitor numbers are low and you don't have much of a social media following you might have to use PPC to get it rolling but only once you have some sort of drop-dead-gorgeous content that will act as link bait.

You can then use this content for 'link building' in limited ways. Two of the most popular are:
    - broken links (find sites with broken links to content like yours and contact them proposing they fix their broken link by pointing to your stuff
    - the skyscraper technique (look it up, too much to put in one forum post)

Both require you to commit major time and resource and neither guarantee any results (although I use both and have found they work very well).

But overall the manta goes - don't build, earn.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi Doodled,

Where would I find a list of all the 'legitimate directories' please?

Hope you can help as I'd love to build some quality links to my site.

Many thanks,

Andy