Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Methods for Naturally Acquiring Links

Here's an article from late last week about how to get your links like your farmer's market veggies - all natural: http://www.koozai.com/blog/search-ma...lding-in-2015/

The author suggests creating content like case studies, linkbait, quizzes, and "newsjacking" (hitching onto current events to create especially relevant content), as well as forum and social media engagement and youtube, pinterest, instagram, and other image-centric sites.

Since the introduction of the Penguin update back in 2012, any attempts to construct links through low quality or spammy tactics have been scuppered, with further updates and data refreshes happening periodically, so Google can ensure it doesn’t rank sites which are using black-hat SEO techniques. Days of overnight ranking successes are long since gone and developing a solid backlink profile has become more of a gradual effort; where patience, consistency and relevance are essential. The concept of ‘building’ links is something that sounds almost forceful and it should in fact, be a much more organic and natural process – the result of quality content and relevant engagement across social platforms, sites, blogs and more.
    What do you think? The article talks a lot about creation, but I think the idea of promotion is also implied. You can have the best content in the world, but if no one sees it then how can they link to it? What are the most "natural" methods of promotion? I've heard digital asset promotion be compared to PR - what do you think of that?
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Clearly the "content" must be for a readership so if your readership doesn't share it "naturally" with others you need to find other readers on your own but your own readership not wanting to share is a good sign that it wasn't worth the effort.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Clearly the "content" must be for a readership so if your readership doesn't share it "naturally" with others you need to find other readers on your own but your own readership not wanting to share is a good sign that it wasn't worth the effort.
    I can't but concur with that.
    There's one thing though.
    Don't forget that there are some boring-to-tears areas that no one would even care to share. Let's fathom you are selling anchors for gazebos - I used to work for a business like that - how on Earth would you imagine anyone getting so excited about that to share your content on Facebook/Twitter etc.?

Perhaps the old company of mine had a bad copywriter but anyways - there are certainly areas arousing some excitement, while others are just so dull that nobody (apart from those very deeply interested for professional reasons) would even care...
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by tom_konstantin
    while others are just so dull that nobody
    ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!

Peter Thiel says "what do you believe that no one else believes!"

The next best thing is producing a solution for what everyone says can't be done!

Toss me an example?
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 29th, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by tom_konstantin
    I can't but concur with that.
    There's one thing though.
    Don't forget that there are some boring-to-tears areas that no one would even care to share. Let's fathom you are selling anchors for gazebos - I used to work for a business like that - how on Earth would you imagine anyone getting so excited about that to share your content on Facebook/Twitter etc.?
    You're thinking too narrowly. You certainly want relevant content, but every page need not be directly related to your product. For the example you mentioned (anchors for gazebos) I can think of a lot of relevant articles that could be made very interesting. How about an article on decorating your gazebo? Maintaining your gazebo? Gazebo parties?

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Nice! Good to see you posting again, welcome back :)
    • fathom agrees : Good start!
    • Test-ok agrees : or How to keep your Gazebo for blowing away in a heave storm.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by wygk
    How about an article on decorating your gazebo? Maintaining your gazebo? Gazebo parties?
    I recall Matt Cutts praising Danny Sullivan's original research in which emailer service statistically provided the least amount of spam...
    Originally Posted by Matt Cutts
    Yeah, totally. I mean, one of my favorites is original research. So, Danny Sullivan, for example, did some sweat of the brow research about how well the different hotmail, Gmail, and yahoo email products did at detecting spam. He decided to forward all his mail to the same three accounts, including his normal email. I am going to see how much spam falls through and how much spam I catch. And, he tracked it for only a couple of weeks. And then, when he was done, he had a complete list. "Okay, Gmail killed 394; so it had a 98% success rate."

It was a lot of work that he put into it, but when he was done; he was able to definitively say Gmail is better at spam, which was cool, that got my attention, and as a result I linked to it. There is a perception that Gmail is good on spam, but how many people can back that up with numbers?
    How exciting is spam?

http://marketingland.com/gmail-support-to-avoid-100985

That single url picked up 16 great domains linking to it through 21 dofollow links and 6 nofollow links.
    Last edited by fathom; Jul 23rd, 2015 at 01:02 AM.
  13. rod@missionop.com

I have my own ... how sexy is wrinkle cream?

Hired a HMO writer for $1000/month for 2 months (total $2000) to get 2 projects where we will hire an infographics company to illustrate one at $1500 and an audiovisual company to augment the literary work at $1250 for the other... basically get 2 pages. That's average $3000+ per page...

An expert can turn the mundane into something inspiring.
  15. No Profile Picture

Like others have said, even if the content you're promoting isn't directly related to the services or products you offer, there is a larger industry to keep in mind! The point is largely to get exposure to your company, build social following, and just have an active brand/company.
  17. No Profile Picture

Content not that shared??

Just to revive an older thread

An analysis from Moz.com (I have a mixed feeling toward them) reveals that actually unless your content goes viral, the sharing percentage & impact is very, very low and the "content is king" myth gets a bit debunked. How many of us can create "viral"??
    Article: https://moz.com/blog/content-shares-...llion-articles

What would be the truth?

From my own experience, I read great articles, some which I found very interesting, but honestly maybe I shared max. 5 of them in over 3 years, and only on my Facebook. Forget about it to link it from some web page/site, etc...
    How many of you really share others' content, even if you really love it??
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SimoneC
    Just to revive an older thread

An analysis from Moz.com (I have a mixed feeling toward them) reveals that actually unless your content goes viral, the sharing percentage & impact is very, very low and the "content is king" myth gets a bit debunked. How many of us can create "viral"??
    Article: https://moz.com/blog/content-shares-...llion-articles

What would be the truth?

From my own experience, I read great articles, some which I found very interesting, but honestly maybe I shared max. 5 of them in over 3 years, and only on my Facebook. Forget about it to link it from some web page/site, etc...
    How many of you really share others' content, even if you really love it??
    Hi Simone, I totally understand what you mean but I also think this is where many content marketers or just people in general miss the mark with content marketing. Is it easy to create something viral? CERTAINLY NOT! But I think going in with this mindset is where some of the problems begin. I have been doing content marketing for a while and trust me its not easy, but it isn't impossible either. It took me a few tries to finally get the hang of it and in my opinion one of the most important aspects of content marketing is the content promotion part.

Do you need a extremely well written article, sure you bet, but you could write the best article anyone has ever seen and if you just post it to your blog and "hope" it goes viral you can probably be pretty sure it won't. You HAVE to promote it to your industry influencers and hope one or some of them find it interesting enough to share it on their social sites and best case scenario link to it from their blog/website. Then you will be able to get some traction going for it, but this method CAN and DOES work.

Here is a case study that I wrote and the first one I finally promoted the right way (and haven't even done that much promotion for it since I have just been busy with other things) but everything that you are saying doesn't work has worked for me in this instance. It has over 250+ social interactions (says around 80 shares on the page but when you look at it with apps like Share Tally it accounts for more social interactions than just the basics) and was shared by Brian Dean of Backlinko on his twitter account, which was awesome to see since I emailed him directly about it.

It has also gotten about 3-5 natural backlinks from people who have came across it that I did not reach out to deciding to add it to their posts, one of these people actually commented on the post and I responded back to him but that's a great example of staying engaged with your audience and kind of closing out the circle when they decided to mention us and provide a link back without me asking for it.

So is it tough to do and get the hang of, yes it is, and it might easier to some people, but don't give up! Without getting to cliche, practice makes perfect!
  21. No Profile Picture

I agree is hard work.
    Just a bit of my background: I run with my husband a small company, offering serviced apartments/accommodation in central Bucharest. Proffesionaly I was and I am a programmer, web designer..Jack of all trades
    Simple question: where do I find an influencer in this domain?? Really?? (I am sarcastic here, sorry)
    I disagree with phatom example: "wrinkle cream" is way sexier and it is a big industry by itself. But accommodation & small company?

Really sorry, but I don't know where to start with link building in nowadays.

Would be really worth it to have a blog, part of my site?

Thanks!
    I have to mention: I don't have a blog linked to my site, I do have a WordPress blog, with 0 readers, 0 back links - you guessed it right!

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by SimoneC
    I agree is hard work.
    Just a bit of my background: I run with my husband a small company, offering serviced apartments/accommodation in central Bucharest. Proffesionaly I was and I am a programmer, web designer..Jack of all trades
    Simple question: where do I find an influencer in this domain?? Really?? (I am sarcastic here, sorry)
    I disagree with phatom example: "wrinkle cream" is way sexier and it is a big industry by itself. But accommodation & small company?

Really sorry, but I don't know where to start with link building in nowadays.

Would be really worth it to have a blog, part of my site?

Thanks!
    I have to mention: I don't have a blog linked to my site, I do have a WordPress blog, with 0 readers, 0 back links - you guessed it right!

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!
    Whether you agree or disagree... A jack-of-all-trades is never a master of any specific one... You have absolutely no time to dedicate 100% of your time to perfecting any specific craft so if JACK for five, and we will label those Business Administrator, Programmer, Website Designer, Salespersons in Accommodations, and SEO Practitioner that makes you a 20% person.

You still need to be a Researcher, Data Entry Clerk, Writer, Editor, Blogger, Photographer, Videography, Graphics Artist, and Project Manager, eMail Marketer, Social Media Expert, Local Search Expert... But you also have a husband so he can be some of these.

You can certainly do all of these and have 1 project completely in a few years or shortcut your way on most or each step but you likely still won't have an links as your research from 3 years earlier is quite dated.
  25. rod@missionop.com

In your earlier post you suggested the problem was the solution... That you actually debunked.

A JACK-OF-ALL-TRADES WILL NEVER SUCCEED... So you are right. Now you know, what much of the DIY WORLD HAVEN'T YET FIGURED OUT!
  27. No Profile Picture

Still, I bet a lot of us, on this forum are a bit of Jack of all trades who do succeed.
    A small business can not afford to hire 20 Jacks, each with its own specialty!
    And still small business must exist and they do exist!

Here I am sarcastic..but I bet that you, fathom, don't have such a pleasant life in the last few years compared with 3-4 years ago, since Google is pushing more and more its own ads and products, and big corporations up our faces! It might not matter for you, but for example, many on this forum will feel my pain with the "Local results/3 pack" which is continuously changing in the last few days and now the results are stripped of phone number, website link, etc..and any click will get you Google again. Of course, this is because Google pushes again for "play as you pay", at least for hotels.

Anyway, getting back to links.

I have the main site: in-bucharest.com (MAIN).
    I have another website: accommodation.aliagrup.ro (SECOND), which was just left there to hang (it is the first version & domain which we choose 10 years ago).
    The SECOND shows up for some keywords (very few and only in Romanian) a bit better than the MAIN.
    The second has direct links to MAIN since forever.
    Please note: aliagrup.ro, the main domain for the SECOND should remain as at is - it still matters for me because it sells rental cars and not accommodation.

I will gain something if I do a 301 redirect from the SECOND to the MAIN?
    And if I do a 301, should a 301 individually each page or just the root page?

Appreciate the help of the community
  29. rod@missionop.com

You can certainly gain some value by redirecting a domain to another domain. But a single domain won't have a huge impact.

Just to be clear these are not Natural Links this is merely repurposing the developed link juice (PageRank) there isn't a single link to your domain with a redirect.
    Last edited by fathom; Sep 27th, 2015 at 03:47 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: