Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thank you Phatom,

I shall leave it as it is

Now another question (don't throw with stones...) I know is a bit late, but better later than never.
    Initially I had a small disavow file with URLs.
    Now I am going link by link and try to make a difference: bad guy vs good guy. Of course, I am stuck!

I have thousands of links built 10 years ago, which means tons of directories (many in specific languages, like French, Italian, etc). Those who are alive, what do I do? How do I decide which one is bad?

For example: wootix.com (French directories) - I have more than 1000 links from this site, since somehow I got my link of the left side menu.
    What should I do with this and similar sites?

Don't send me to read on the Internet, because I did so..and the dilemma grew up!

Highly appreciated your help!
    Last edited by SimoneC; Sep 28th, 2015 at 05:50 AM.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you haven't developed any unnatural links (most common links with keywords in the anchor text) you generally don't need to worry about disavowing.

Although, I recently had an example with my site was scraped & churned with lots of other content but my internal links were part of what was scraped and now become external links to my pages.

I don't believe that this was an intentional NEGATIVE SEO Campaign just someone not wanting to waste revenue on genuine content. That said, these internal links could be viewed by PENGUIN as unnatural so I created a disavow file for each subdomain as well as the root domain... Just to ensure there won't be any repercussions.

Low quality links that pass next to nothing PageRank wise that DO NOT target any keyword or phrase useful to you will have zero impact on ranks that are indeed useful to you. While these links might indeed seem SPAMMY, they are neither here nor there.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    • SimoneC agrees
    Last edited by fathom; Sep 28th, 2015 at 07:24 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your help.
    I must admit that maybe your wording is a bit complicated or my English is a bit rusty!

After another reading time and your reply, I came to the conclusion that directories & sites which seems of good faith (have an approval process, navigation OK, categories, etc) are ok.
    If the link has keyword in the anchor, let's face it...it was done years ago.

Agree with me?
  7. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by SimoneC
    If the link has keyword in the anchor, let's face it...it was done years ago.

Agree with me?
    There are tons of domains that hadn't webspam in over 10 years, they did link exchange & 3-way links in the early 2000s. It might have been acceptable back then however if you ranks are impacted by old, obsolete tactics that doesn't mean they are acceptable today anymore than a competitor starting to use them only today.

Let's face it... a keyphrase anchor done in 1996, before Google existed is still WEBSPAM today, and no different than your competitor getting the same keyphrase anchor done in 2015 on the same webpage. The only difference is you benefited more from your almost 20 year old WEBSPAM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you!

Another question, maybe it was debated, but I am having an argument with my own thoughts and readings

Hypothesis: the external sites from which the URL are coming are neither bbc.com type, neither spammy sites. Middle quality sites.

We can say at this point about backlinks that:

1. backlinks coming from an image, and not a text, are good?

2. backlinks such as <a href="Dogs-Cats.org" title="Dogs-cats.org">Dogs-cats.org</a> are not good?

3. backlinks such as <a href="Dogs-Cats.org" title="Dogs-cats.org">click here</a> are good?

Of course, Dogs-cats.org is a made up URL, for the sake of the argumentation.

Which is true and which is not?

Community's help highly appreciated as usually
  11. rod@missionop.com

The alt="" is the text anchor for an image link. Although thought to be NOT QUITE as powerful as a text anchor. The title="" attribute has no value.

The use of a non-keyword anchor like a call-to-action, brand, or URL-based anchor are precisely what you need as external anchors to avoid devaluation. In fact, I wouldn't hide a keyphrase in an image link if it is also an external link... You are just begging for trouble.
    Last edited by fathom; Oct 6th, 2015 at 03:53 AM.
  13. SEO Since 97

I would hide a keyphrase in an image link if it is also an external link... You are just begging for trouble.
    you would or wouldn't?

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Thanks! Corrected.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys!

So, to sum it up a link like below would be legit.

<a href="http://www.Dogs-Cats.org">Dogs-cats.org</a>

I was reading that site-wide navigational links (let's say in footer) like the above would be bad.
    It's an ongoing discussion on this, with no clear Yes or No.
    My opinion: if it is legit link, to another site in the same field of operation why it would be bad?
    Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  17. rod@missionop.com

Bad, not really, wouldn't help as much as you might think but likely don't harm either.
  19. No Profile Picture

Any bit of help is always appreciated, specially nowadays

Confusion hit me again: trying to make some general rules for backlinks and I am waiting for the community to confirm or not.

- the anchor text should be URL, brand or 'click here' (with variations of course)

- some links can actually have a keyword rich anchor text, shouldn't??specially if the link is inserted in the middle of content/text. Otherwise, the web will be just a 'click here' type of things. And webmasters tools will report most linked words: "click here"

- should all links be nofollow?? Doubt it.

Many thanks!

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : If you orchestrated the link that is why it SHOULD BE NOFOLLOW!
    Last edited by SimoneC; Oct 6th, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Actually I found an article that sounds reasonable enough regarding the anchor text.
    https://www.linksmanagement.com/natu...ution-formula/

If you don't want waste time, I extracted the "magic formula" below.

What do you guys and girls think?

Comments on this post

• fathom : You shouldn't be having any input on links to your website!
  23. rod@missionop.com

Unfortunately, NATURAL Links don't come in nice neat tabular forms.

HOWEVER UNNATURAL LINKS DO!

When I first double-checked your source, I noted:

Originally Posted by SEOMoz
    We have noticed that one of the most common (and extremely harmful) SEO mistakes many people make is ignoring natural anchor text distribution formula.
    I first thought "MOZ just drinking some more of their KOOL-AID" which is code for linkbait doesn't need to be accurate it only needs to produce links... But then I saw their DISCLAIMER:

The author's views are entirely his or her own (excluding the unlikely event of hypnosis) and may not always reflect the views of Moz.
    Thus, if that statement is found to be wrong you never heard it from MOZ, but if it is found to be accurate you can quote MOZ on it.

Talk about sitting on the fence!
  25. No Profile Picture

I am not big fan of Moz neither, but I found it reasonable the distribution of anchor texts, if I pass it through my "common sense" filter.
    And I though it would be useful to other persons as an starting point in building links.

Because saying just pieces, like use 'click here' lets things out in the air... and people uncertain about what to do.

My 2 cents
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: