1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Links without keyword anchor text?

I apologize if this was answered somewhere else. However, we are in need of advice, and we are not pros at SEO.

We were told by a SEO firm that we shouldn't worry too much about anchor texts in links since Google can automatically detect keywords via the link on our page. They also said that Google can detect the relevance of the site providing the link to see if it is relevant to our site. For example, Google will give us more weight if the link is from a blog in our industry instead of a link from a totally different industry.

We are trying to rank better for some keywords. We have been getting links and have good onsite optimization, but we are not seeing an increase in our keywords for the past year. We thought we should focus on anchor texts to improve but the SEO firms says otherwise. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Well its sort of correct and wrong at the same time. I will try and explain.

If your going out building links then your treading a really dangerous path, if google detect a pattern in your activities then they will issue a penalty simple. In using keyword rich anchor text makes it really easy for them to spot as well so that could be why your SEO guys are warning you off. Normally the text "click here" or your brand name is safer but still dangerous if over done. The other issue is nowadays most links tend to be nofollow links so if thats what you have been building then that will have zero effect on your ranking. Nofollow links are great for marketing your company so can bring you in traffic but in terms of helping you rank I am afraid they dont work.

Relevance from backlinks does help but hard to qualify but generally say you sell flowers and you get a flower grower to link to you then that would carry a bit more weight than say a construction web site. How relevant the source site is depends a lot on googles AI so its not really possible to guide you on that but you hopefully would know what niches are close to yours.

Where there are wins though to be had is on your own site, you are generally free to use keyword rich anchor text which can really help give you the boost you seek.

Comments on this post

• Printer agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

External links.
    If your links look natural, you'll be fine if they don't you've screwed your self. The trick is making them look natural and it more than just which anchor text to use, how often. how well the article, blog, add is written, where it comes from. What other links reside on the page (page the link comes from) just to name a few.
    Moral of the story, be careful..be very careful because getting caught and getting back to normal is twice or three times as hard, and you already have marks against you when you get there.

Comments on this post

• Printer agrees
  7. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I once read that if 15% of your inbound links use the same keyword text, you can expect a penalty for that keyword. Can't remember where I read it, it was at the beginning of Penguin. But I have seen a site penalized on a keyword that reached 17% of their total IBL text.

I'm just careful not to focus on the same keywords.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    I once read that if 15% of your inbound links use the same keyword text, you can expect a penalty for that keyword.
    Hmmm...I've never heard about it. Could I ask you to give the source of information with good samples? It`s really interesting for me!
  11. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by AlexBarret
    Hmmm...I've never heard about it. Could I ask you to give the source of information with good samples? It`s really interesting for me!
    As I mentioned, I don't remembered the authority that quoted that, but it was discussed openly in my old forum. I also had another SEO - Higher Click - tell me the same thing.

I am personally convinced it is true, as I saw my client's penalty change after removing the offending link text. But I would check it out for myself. It's easy enough to do.
  13. No Profile Picture

you focused on quality content. Anchor text is not important because if you target more keyword with anchor text google penalize your website so try other anchor text i.e. Read More, Visit , For More info, Contact Us, or Site name etc............
  15. Professional SEO

I do believe anchor text is very important. It just has to be done somewhat naturally.
  17. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    I do believe anchor text is very important. It just has to be done somewhat naturally.
    Well said and oh so true.
  19. No Profile Picture

You both are right anchor text is important but I am saying that exact match keyword anchor text is not good for website
  21. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by mohitwalia
    You both are right anchor text is important but I am saying that exact match keyword anchor text is not good for website
    Your correct it shows spam.
  23. No Profile Picture

A link without an anchor text carries less weight, but that doesn't mean it won't help your site. Excessive usage of anchor text may or may not harm your site depending on several factors.
  25. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by Umairee95
    A link without an anchor text carries less weight, but that doesn't mean it won't help your site. Excessive usage of anchor text may or may not harm your site depending on several factors.
    Less weight? That's tottaly wrong!

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
  27. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

A link is a link is a link. Still pass's page rank regardless of anchor text assuming its not a no follow link.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My understanding is that G does not use ALL external links when calculating what PageRank values to pass through to a linked web page.

G spokes-people have said G uses link text as a guide to assessing which external links to include in the formulae.

It seems the result is, a link is only sometimes a link to G.

If folk are thinking of manipulating link text, they may want to consider how visible to G. such manipulations will be.