Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Link juice from Forums

I continue to see people advise others to get links in Forums amongst other places.
    I'd like to clear the air about how forum links work in your favor and how they don't.
    When you add links to a forum you will only get value out of them if your a participant in that forum (and it's very little as far as juice goes) So going from forum to forum..signing up so you can get your link in your profile won't do anything for ya except waste your time. If you sign up just to add links through a few postings you'll more than likely get banned for spamming (which again won't pass any juice your way) same with signing up and posting stupid frivolous posts just to get the minimum posts so you can add your link (again a wasting of your time). Now if your a member and participate in a forum, hopefully you'll gain reputation become part of the community and the links you do use will add a little flavor to your site, because of that...and still very little juice, But if your a regular member and have somewhat of a reputation your links will hold more clout with the readers (which is what I consider a good link and a good use of a forum). So please don't waste your time signing up at forums just to get a link in your profile or post them in a couple of spammy posts. Your just wasting your time along with the people who delete, ban and edit your spammy links (the mod and admins), thats not the intent of forums and if you don't use forums for what they were intended for your wasting your time...Think of forums, blogs etc. as internet tools, you wouldn't use a screw driver to loosen a bolt would ya?
    I consider people who just sign up to get link juice to be a blackhat tactic (that doesn't even work like it use to)...and when ever a person uses a blackhat tactic it causes Google to create a new algorithm to combat it. What I'm really getting at is anyone who used these internet tools wrong is ruining the internet for everyone...including themselves.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Re

Excellent Post,

People, who considers Forums as a link building technique should read this post.

The forum and communities are meant to be for discussion not for just building links. I know a lots of guys who follow practice of creating multiple profiles in multiple forums only for the purpose of increasing backlinks to their website/blog, which eventually doesn't work.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Unfortunately, though, they can have an impact.

That impact is minimal - but on non-competitive terms that actually have traffic, they can quickly (very quickly) pay for themselves.

The problem is most people use them with the expectations of ranking for "cars" "house" "forex"
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Unfortunately, though, they can have an impact.

That impact is minimal - but on non-competitive terms that actually have traffic, they can quickly (very quickly) pay for themselves.

The problem is most people use them with the expectations of ranking for "cars" "house" "forex"
    How about a link for "philadelphia locksmith" on a PR5 thread page? I'm pretty sure that would have some great value.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the info. I'm still a noob and pretty much thought that this was the case. Howver, its really good to get some solid feedback!
  11. SEO Since 97

I know this is an old thread. I'd like to update it a bit.
    Most forums nowadays are using nofollow links, so it's even more worthless to try and build links to ones site through forums.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    • fathom agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

A good knowledgeable post I must say, for newbies like me who are new to SEO business. I would like to ask one question regarding this that what is the best way to get deep backlinks these days. I have seen social bookmarks also don't work much as they used to. So what is the right way or method to get backlinks?
  15. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Some of our stickies in this section might be worth reading:
    SEO Link Building
    SEO Link Development in 2013 and Beyond

Note that the second one is more relevant to today!
  17. No Profile Picture

The original post has pretty much answered my question I wanted to ask here, but having in mind that it is from 2011 and what I've found recently on some local forums I still have to ask...

What I've found... Well obviously there are a lot of forums spammed with amateurs trying to rank quickly some low-quality pages or from people who have knownledge about SEO pre 2010-ish. Or not even amateurs, but bots. But while I was investigating a backlink profiles of competition of mine I found about 15-20 profile posts they've created in 2015, targetting phrases they sometimes outrank me (the good, follow the guidelines guy) on. Some of the posts at least tried to have any relevance to the topic (with a link in signature), but there were a few that were today gibberish unrelated to anything, like some times even hilarious (posts with links to house building on dating tips).
    Ok, I thought, Jesus, what a bunch of amateurs... but I digged a little deeper on those forums (yes, including the dating tips one) and found giants like Allianz posting there too, additionally making anchors on key phrases (like insurance calculator). Allianz was the biggest, but there were a few big ones too. They were local pages, country-wide, but still.

So I was starting to wonder... it doesn't make much sense to me, but if guys with Allianz budget and resources do this...

ps. The forums were usually DA>30 and dofollow on the links.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Gonzaga
    The original post has pretty much answered my question I wanted to ask here, but having in mind that it is from 2011 and what I've found recently on some local forums I still have to ask...

What I've found... Well obviously there are a lot of forums spammed with amateurs trying to rank quickly some low-quality pages or from people who have knownledge about SEO pre 2010-ish. Or not even amateurs, but bots. But while I was investigating a backlink profiles of competition of mine I found about 15-20 profile posts they've created in 2015, targetting phrases they sometimes outrank me (the good, follow the guidelines guy) on. Some of the posts at least tried to have any relevance to the topic (with a link in signature), but there were a few that were today gibberish unrelated to anything, like some times even hilarious (posts with links to house building on dating tips).
    Ok, I thought, Jesus, what a bunch of amateurs... but I digged a little deeper on those forums (yes, including the dating tips one) and found giants like Allianz posting there too, additionally making anchors on key phrases (like insurance calculator). Allianz was the biggest, but there were a few big ones too. They were local pages, country-wide, but still.

So I was starting to wonder... it doesn't make much sense to me, but if guys with Allianz budget and resources do this...

ps. The forums were usually DA>30 and dofollow on the links.
    Nobody?
  21. SEO Since 97

I found about 15-20 profile posts they've created in 2015, targetting phrases they sometimes outrank me
    it's hard to say without analyzing the data.
  23. No Profile Picture

Perhaps in my country it's still wild wild west (or east rather). I've made another link research on different firm (quite big locally) and also found forum spam. Also, Panda doesn't seem to apply to my county as 75% of e-commerce shops have duplicated content and you there is no penalties whatsoever.
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

So to get this crystal clear a visit to your site from a nofollow link does nothing, nada, zip, zilch as far as Google is concerned. It shows up in GA as sessions so they must at least see it as traffic?

Just curious, my sister is launching a site and this was one thing that I offered as a way to get some traffic. Post on a few related forums in hopes of some traffic.
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

To be clear about the advice I gave. It was to find 2 forums that you can be involved in and not just random places to put links in. I am active on the Joomla forum with 1,500+ post and have not added any link yet. I go there to offer assistance to people who are learning the platform. I am considering adding a link to my site but would like to know if it's good, bad, makes no difference.
  29. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by DaveOzric
    I am considering adding a link to my site but would like to know if it's good, bad, makes no difference.
    It depends. If the site owners are ok with it and the link is nofollowed, it won't cause any damage to your site and it won't grate on the forum owners' nerves or break any rules.

If the traffic is real people, who know you, like you, and trust you, and your site is relevant to their interests, it could result in decent traffic or maybe even conversions. Everyone is always chasing dofollow links because those are the ones that have the biggest impact on your site's ranking...but it's not like nofollow links are completely useless. Quite the opposite if it turns out to be the right link in the right place.

Originally Posted by DaveOzric
    So to get this crystal clear a visit to your site from a nofollow link does nothing, nada, zip, zilch as far as Google is concerned. It shows up in GA as sessions so they must at least see it as traffic?
    It doesn't pass PageRank, so it has 0 chance of being seen by Google as manipulative. That basically makes it "safe" and penalty-proof. SEO Chat nofollows all outgoing links. That's because we're a place where users can create their own content - we have no control over who wants to spam their links all over our site. So we take the safe route and nofollow them.

But at the same time, if one of our trusted users puts a link to their services in their signature or something...someone could come here, read their post, think they're awesome, and go to their site to pay for more services.

I am not the best source on using forums for SEO, though. Give this a read, it's one of my favorite threads here: How To: Use Forums For SEO
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: