Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thank you, this helps
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I wish humbly to add my thoughts:

first of all, this thread was opened a few years ago, when things were undoubtedly a lot easier for us seo, but even back at those times, I never believed in forum links, for 2 simple reason.

1) say you are lucky, really lucky and you just open the first and sole thread of your life in a forum and they allow you to put a dofollow link, then you disappear. Now, in forums pages tend to go really really deep and in no time, so I wonder what kind of advantage can people expect from a page with no value at all that just say "Hey I'm Jon from London" and that it gets deeper and deeper in the forum structure. I would understand getting a link from the home page of a forum, or an authoritative page linked from other websites, but not from a page like this, let alone your profile page, empty and valueless;

2) let's say instead that you are an active member of the community and you have like 2.000 posts... now, it has never been proven, as far as I can remember, but it is something that has been whispered a lot about that getting links from 2.000 pages from the same website, it may potentially hurts your site.

So, I think links in forums are not a smart choice for boosting your ranking, even though a parsimonious and not spammy use of this technique might help you in the context of a much bigger project of a natural-looking LB for your website.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Aye - most links are nofollow in forums these days anyway. They are sometimes useful for traffic or brand recognition, but as link building it's just spammy nonsense now imo.
    Last edited by Andrew78; Dec 28th, 2016 at 09:33 AM.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: