#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    15

    Link exchange with lower PR page?


    Some say if you are a high PR site, don't link exchange with a lower PR site, since you are "giving away" PR.

    I am starting to think the opposite. What is my loss in doing outbound links out of my link page (not my main pages), to whoever asks for them. After all, the link page is standing on its own, and would have but miniscule affect on the PR of other pages (since it receives no IBL's from external sites). So if the link page does not affect the PR of home page (or other important pages), why do I care?

    Is the thinking correct. What do you think?
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    15
    Originally Posted by autoforumz
    Some say if you are a high PR site, don't link exchange with a lower PR site, since you are "giving away" PR.

    I am starting to think the opposite. What is my loss in doing outbound links out of my link page (not my main pages), to whoever asks for them. After all, the link page is standing on its own, and would have but miniscule affect on the PR of other pages (since it receives no IBL's from external sites). So if the link page does not affect the PR of home page (or other important pages), why do I care?

    Is the thinking correct. What do you think?
    I'd tend to agree with you. I link to websites I personally like and/or where I think they will be useful for our customers, regardless of whether they give me a link back. I get good traffic and the odd sale from sites which have a lower PR than ours.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    15
    Originally Posted by berkswelldirect
    I'd tend to agree with you. I link to websites I personally like and/or where I think they will be useful for our customers, regardless of whether they give me a link back. I get good traffic and the odd sale from sites which have a lower PR than ours.
    I take it a step further. I am suggesting that you can give link to anyone regardless. Theme issues is another topic, but from the PR standpoint, it does not matter.
  6. #4
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    15
    Also, remember that PR changes. Most people seeking link exchanges are actively promoting their site. It is likely to go up in the future. As long as it is related to the theme of a site, I honor all requests for trades.
  8. #5
  9. Raghvendra Tripathi
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gurgaon | India
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    70
    Originally Posted by autoforumz
    Some say if you are a high PR site, don't link exchange with a lower PR site, since you are "giving away" PR.

    I am starting to think the opposite. What is my loss in doing outbound links out of my link page (not my main pages), to whoever asks for them. After all, the link page is standing on its own, and would have but miniscule affect on the PR of other pages (since it receives no IBL's from external sites). So if the link page does not affect the PR of home page (or other important pages), why do I care?

    Is the thinking correct. What do you think?


    I guess link exchanges has been devalued by Google over time, what I would suggest you to invest your time in creating viral and quality user friendly content on YOUR own website, which will prompt other sites to link the useful content you have created for the visitors
    Competing on Internet require something more than a website and that is Search Engine Optimization :

    Raghvendra Tripathi ( Not About SEO)
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi all, assuming all other things being equal (e.g. trust), does it have any negative impact on your website to form a reciprocal link with website of lower PR? or, does it still benefit your site in a positive manner (i.e. more juice will flow in than out)?

    I ask because at the moment I am rejecting link requests with other website owners if their PR is lower than mine, and I'm wondering if this is the correct thing to do?

    Thanks,

    /Brian
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by abipo
    Hi all, assuming all other things being equal (e.g. trust), does it have any negative impact on your website to form a reciprocal link with website of lower PR? or, does it still benefit your site in a positive manner (i.e. more juice will flow in than out)?

    I ask because at the moment I am rejecting link requests with other website owners if their PR is lower than mine, and I'm wondering if this is the correct thing to do?

    Thanks,

    /Brian

    Hey Brian. I feel that PR is not as important as relevance regarding your question. As someone stated earlier in this forum, PR does change so you may receive a higher PR in the near future. Relevant content and keywords (relevant niche) is very important when trading links and PR is an added bonus. However, a high PR for the main page will give significant help to the link compared to a low PR for any random page within the domain.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Perfect Search
    Hey Brian. I feel that PR is not as important as relevance regarding your question. As someone stated earlier in this forum, PR does change so you may receive a higher PR in the near future. Relevant content and keywords (relevant niche) is very important when trading links and PR is an added bonus. However, a high PR for the main page will give significant help to the link compared to a low PR for any random page within the domain.
    Hi, thanks for the great reply. It's exactly what I wanted to know. How do you know for sure that relevant content and keywords are more important than PR? I don't mean this in a cheeky way. It's just that SEO is such a black art and there are a lot of opinions out there?

    The other thing is, I have been exchanging some links with websites that are not in the slightest bit related to me but have a higher page rank. It seems to be doing me good so just wondering if I should continue this practice or not?

    At the same time, I have been rejecting link exchanges with websites that have very relevant content but have a lower page rank than me. Is this the wrong thing to do?

    Thanks,

    /Brian
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by abipo
    Hi, thanks for the great reply. It's exactly what I wanted to know. How do you know for sure that relevant content and keywords are more important than PR? I don't mean this in a cheeky way. It's just that SEO is such a black art and there are a lot of opinions out there?

    The other thing is, I have been exchanging some links with websites that are not in the slightest bit related to me but have a higher page rank. It seems to be doing me good so just wondering if I should continue this practice or not?

    At the same time, I have been rejecting link exchanges with websites that have very relevant content but have a lower page rank than me. Is this the wrong thing to do?

    Thanks,

    /Brian
    Hey Brian, I search quite often all over the internet (blogs, forums, news sites, etc.) and also utilize Google Reader for articles pertaining to SEO news and changes. Things change all the time and there are many options, so I just try to stay up to date with the latest news. This is one way I know about changes and strategies for SEO.

    In my eyes, links are links no matter what. If something is working for you I would keep doing it because you never know when it might change. Also, keywords are very important to the content, so even though the material might not be relevant you might be gaining through keywords and phrases.

    Typically, combining high PR, relevance, good keywords, quality, and keeping within your niche will be the best link possible. However, this is very difficult to do and can take up lots of time as the searching portion of link building (finding these great links) is sometimes frustrating.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Nov 17th, 2004, 09:24 PM
  2. Link exchange with software related sites
    By a1_design in forum Link Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 8th, 2004, 05:19 PM
  3. Backlinks and which page they should link to.
    By robc in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 17th, 2004, 10:36 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo