1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Link to clone content

I have a question, what happens if I:

- Write a good content on a comment on site Y
    - I copy the content (written by me) in a post on my website X (adding / changing only a few words)
    - I add a link to my post editing the comment (on site Y)

The questions are:

- What will Google do? Who will rank better in your opinion (excluding all the other ranking factors)?
    - Can I get penalized for the cloned content or not?

Thanks to all will reply to me
  3. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I did something similar on SEOchat (with the mods permission) with a thread I created. The thread was getting old and I had created a better guide on a website, so I added a link to that thread. In this case the link is no follow which is most certainly your case too.

- What will Google do? Who will rank better in your opinion (excluding all the other ranking factors)?
    It will have no impact at all on your rankings because the link is no follow.

- Can I get penalized for the cloned content or not?
    There is no such thing as a duplicate penalty, so you can't receive a penalty for this. However cloned or duplicate content can be hard to rank.

Write a good content on a comment on site Y
    This must have been a very long comment and interesting comment if it deserves a full webpage on your site when changing only a few words.
    Owner of Bennetonable | AdWords certified - Analytics qualified
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it's a no follow link but it's a link, this should tell to google that probably:

- I am the owner of the content
    - Or, at least, I am authorized to add a link

These 2 factors I think are relevant...
    In other words: can the post be seen as an excerpt / presentation of the full article?
  7. No Profile Picture

Google more or less does not like duplicate content that is posted on several of your own website pages. Example, you write about your business on the home page and same content is posted on your service page with same description and title tag.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How can I check this?
  11. No Profile Picture

I don't think Google is going to like it if it catches similar scenario. No one uses spun articles anymore for a reason(changing few words in a article and repost it
    )
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, what is the best practice then?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by leonida
    What will Google do? Who will rank better in your opinion (excluding all the other ranking factors)?
    You can't exclude other ranking factors. Since you are presenting duplicate content, then they would initially have equal value. But Google does not display two results with equal ranking. It will be forced to consider other ranking factors such as which of the two sites has higher authority. That will then get ranked higher.

Can I get penalized for the cloned content or not?
    Yes, could be algorithmic and manual. As always, based on Google's official statement re duplicate content: In the rare cases in which Google perceives that duplicate content may be shown with intent to manipulate our rankings and deceive our users, we'll also make appropriate adjustments in the indexing and ranking of the sites involved. As a result, the ranking of the site may suffer [algorithmic], or the site might be removed entirely from the Google index, in which case it will no longer appear in search results [manual].
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I do not understand why these apocalyptic scenarios... I'm practicing this thing long ago and Google rewards me with a position on the podium (1-3 position in SERP).

Or am I wrong in explaining or you are evaluating wrong... what test did you do about it? Are you talking in theory or have you done some experiments?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

what test did you do about it? Are you talking in theory or have you done some experiments?

I haven't done any tests about it. Google makes the rules and I see no benefit from testing what would happen if I break the rules. Besides, even if you do experiment and it turns out that Google's warning did not apply to your case, does that give your experiment greater authority than Google's official take on the issue? Also, forget SEO for a moment, do you really think duplicate content would make the world a better place?

Wait: I do break the rules but not to test. And whenever I do I know I risk suffering a penalty.

I do not understand why these apocalyptic scenarios... I'm practicing this thing long ago and Google rewards me with a position on the podium (1-3 position in SERP).
    Because you are getting away with it. Google is not perfect. You can be honest and still suffer a penalty. You can game the system and still get rewards. It's all about risk management. This article is about link building but the ideas apply re SEO risks.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, this article is telling that everything is true and everything is not true.

I personally think that Google is better than we can imagine, I think that it understands that those contents are mine and that the best place to read them is my site.

Said this, with "changing a few words" I do not mean 2 or 3, I mean amplify the topic and making it more readable.