Page 4 of 13 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by channel5
    If I don't create an on-topic website and just do a 301 redirect straight away what are the consequences?
    ...well no real consequences... [I guess] but I'd like to know if the links pass value?

And if they don't, I'd like an opportunioty to fix that.

Technically, this is one of those shady "link schemes" Google talks about [intentional manipulation of links]

We can sugarcoat it - but in the end the edu links weren't yours to begin with, so unless the domain exists as a website "in theory" Google can prevent all benefits of the links (except direct traffic).

Comments on this post

• gadget123 agrees : Top advice.
  3. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Luck

found loads, including a PR5 with over 1000 links, i'll pay a lot more than $5 for that one though.
    lol of course, so what websites did you use to check? just godaddy?
  5. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by seomonkeymanocp
    lol of course, so what websites did you use to check? just godaddy?
    Just using Godaddy for the moment while I try this out, also godaddy actually have these domains, so there is less of a landgrab compared with the others.
  7. from the horses mouth

Originally Posted by fathom
    Technically, this is one of those shady "link schemes" Google talks about [intentional manipulation of links]
    But if we keep the domains and any redirections off our targets sites servers (and on separate class C's) then the worst that will happen is the links will be devalued.. right?
  9. rod@missionop.com

Snapnames (url earlier in the thread) run the next 5 days of 'about to expire' names. On any given day that about 15K and I've seen it over 100K on some days.

You can try this software - it's slow but will search through upwards 16 million domain names.

http://seekfindweb.com/software.htm

Warning: if you don't have 2 gb of RAM in your machine and at least a 3.0 CPU I would try it - you'll just lock up your system.

There are many others (some already mentioned in this thread) so I wouldn't just do GoDaddy as you can quickly find it "too crowded" and bargains aren't so much a bargain anymore if you have 4 or 5 bidders.
  11. rod@missionop.com

But if we keep the domains and any redirections off our targets sites servers (and on separate class C's) then the worst that will happen is the links will be devalued.. right?
    Why? You can assume that your C block was different than the registrar and they different than the previous owners...

Relocating a domain isn't a problem.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Here's where I'm at:

• I bought a PR3 name for $15 (Yahoo Site Explorer shows 45 inlinks to the www version, and 170 to non non-www version.)
    • Ownership transferred to me a few days after
    • I put up a home page on the domain name
    • I verified ownership with Webmasters Tools
    • I checked WMT and when I click on "Pages with External Links" it says "No Links Found"

Is that a bad sign or am I still ok? Now I've got to wait a few days for the links to show up?

BTW, as of now, it has been 45 days since the domain expired with the previous owner.
    Last edited by Cataclysmic; Jan 14th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
  15. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    http://seekfindweb.com/software.htm
    Needs a username and password...
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

April

I know a company that went bankrupt in 2005 and the still have a notice on the index page. PR=5, 1000 link.

Whois=Expiration date April 2008.

The keywords are not in my field or related to my website.

Is it worth it to bid for it?

Thanks,
  19. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by intravino
    I know a company that went bankrupt in 2005 and the still have a notice on the index page. PR=5, 1000 link.

Whois=Expiration date April 2008.

The keywords are not in my field or related to my website.

Is it worth it to bid for it?

Thanks,
    I'll go $500 USD with $200 reserve for you if you provide me that info (and it's true) OR you should bid on it yourself at that level.
  21. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by seomonkeymanocp
    Needs a username and password...
    Oops! Sorry I didn't realize it was a proprietary tool - Spherica sent it to me (no idea how to get it then)
  23. from the horses mouth

Well I've managed to pick up a PR5 with 700 backlinks in Yahoo (and 400 listed in Google) which is related to one of my major keywords, for $520

Pretty happy with that!

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : There's out there and anyone that thinks $520 is too much that about $1.25 per link and you don't need to waste time emailing which "how long would that take"? ... much more the the bidding time.
  25. Saving 4 a "giant laser"
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well I've managed to pick up a PR5 with 700 backlinks in Yahoo (and 400 listed in Google) which is related to one of my major keywords, for $520

Pretty happy with that!
    Congrats!

Did you find it just from searching godaddy's auctions for a while or did you use a tool to help in the search?
  27. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by jwbond
    Congrats!

Did you find it just from searching godaddy's auctions for a while or did you use a tool to help in the search?
    If you are still having trouble finding anything remember that searching a keyword is just looking at the keyword in the domain name... you gotta have some imagination when looking for promoted and now unwanted.

Most people don't have a clue about search engines, don't care about ranks, links for backlink or PageRank they only care a getting visitors to their website.

From the vantagepoint 'surely a keyword in the domain name is something "punchy" rather than keywordy.

If you're an older babyboomer you aren't promoting surety bill or bonds - you're targeting "nestegg.com"... ok so they had dreams of riches from ebooks on surety bonds and made few sales and couldn'r afford the hosting anymore and just drop the domain... but they were semi-experienced in traditional promotions like a listing with the chamber of commerce, their local bank, local business associations, etc.

So how do you find nestegg.com or emptynesterfunding.org?

Well to start with diversify you searches by using a thesaurus on each of your current terms like stock, bond, money, fund bill, etc.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/surety

...don't think you have to limit yourself to godaddy - I used that merely as an example... start looking at the placeholder websites and search in google for common phrases + you terms AND your Thesaurus terms...

The only reason you may not find anything - you';re not using you imagination.
  29. from the horses mouth

Originally Posted by jwbond
    Congrats!

I have just been manually searching, I found the PR5 one in the first 20 minutes, I think I just got lucky, another 2 days of searching and I have only found a couple of PR3's worth going for.
Page 4 of 13 First ... 23456 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo