1. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Just to keep things honest:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/12/ultimate-fate-of-supplemental-results.html
  3. Saving 4 a "giant laser"
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    The reason you MUST do this is to create a supplementary revenue stream to continue paying for related and unrelated domains as your strategy grows.

Once you capture this domain, setup a PPI directory (easiest), PPI Article Resource, PPI blog, PPI forum – PPI whatever that allows you to offer a “higher quality review” (with a link), higher quality literature (with a link), etc. and all 50% of the revenue goes to buy domains for your website and 50% for your review/literature so you can keep all your pages from going supplemental… you can be sure that you resource will have people flocking to pay for a solid “category related link”… and you get yours is well.
    People that do not do seo for a living like myself may want to consider scraping the PPI idea and simply taking the additional cash earned from their business to support the domain purchasing.

...on the other hand if your business is not lucrative enough to support it, but the PPI is, then you may want to consider changing your business

fathom, I asked earlier, but I don't think you saw it...Have you seen the domains lose their strength over time or are the majority of the links sticking, keeping the strength up?
  5. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by jwbond
    fathom, I asked earlier, but I don't think you saw it...Have you seen the domains lose their strength over time or are the majority of the links sticking, keeping the strength up?
    I haven't removed any redirectly to see if the domain stands on its own 'as it did' before it was redirect.

If you had links to any domain and then lose them you can then make an argument that eventually all the links will be gone and none of the domains have any benefit anymore - so best not to waste that money... but that isn't any different than paying your membership fee at some association and they add you to their membership list, and then you don't renew and they eventually remove the link...

...did you lose it? The obvious answer is YES you will likely lose all the links "EVENTUALLY"... so my question back is -- when?

They part of your homework to determine the length of time you'll keep any specific links based on the historical habits of the website pointing it.

Archive.org can help determine that.
    Last edited by fathom; Jan 6th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
  7. Saving 4 a "giant laser"

I have to say I was extremely excited about making use of this idea a couple of days ago. However, after searching a good 2500+ domains I am a bit discouraged...

I have only found one domain worth considering and it is currently going for $21, but will likely end up costing more when I begin to bid on it (the auction ends tomorrow).

The tediousness of searching for worthy domains wouldn't be so bad if the seochat PR lookup tool didn't timeout so damn much!

ugh...has anyone else had any luck finding a gem or two?
  9. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I have to say I was extremely excited about making use of this idea a couple of days ago. However, after searching a good 2500+ domains I am a bit discouraged...

I have only found one domain worth considering and it is currently going for $21, but will likely end up costing more when I begin to bid on it (the auction ends tomorrow).

The tediousness of searching for worthy domains wouldn't be so bad if the seochat PR lookup tool didn't timeout so damn much!

I don't buy domains for links... it isn't worth it to me, I buy the domain for the traffic and/or the name... I then either resell it for a profit or else I stick it up and do something with it myself... there are still a number of profitable domains to buy...
    But you must be dedicated or you won't get them.
    -DON’T BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

after searching a good 2500+ domains I am a bit discouraged... ugh...has anyone else had any luck finding a gem or two?
    I've looked through about as many as you, and I just bought the best one I found so far, for the sake of going through the motions and learning the process. It is a PR3 domain with 42 backlinks showing in Yahoo. I've been finding it very tedious also.

I did find a few PR5 domains, but oddly they had 0 backlinks (both with and without www), so I assume the Google Toolbar is mistaken? As an example, one of them was xtooltracker.com

Google does dump the backlinks if too much time passes between expiry and auction but having done this a couple hundred times now, if you host and add a sitemap for minimal pages – it will credit the link within a few days.
    If I'm understanding correctly, it won't work if I 301 redirect to my own site right away - I have to put up a website at the domain I bought and then wait until Google "credits the links" before redirecting - correct?

How do you know when Google has credited the links?

I know very little html (not enough to create simple website from scratch) - is there any easy way to do this?

Do I have to make sure that I have created pages at all the pages of the site that the backlinks are going to?

Thanks,
  13. Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by Cataclysmic
    How do you know when Google has credited the links?
    You can view them from your Google Webmaster Tools account.

I know very little html (not enough to create simple website from scratch) - is there any easy way to do this?
    You can give the designing task to a professional designing company or a freelancer who would do the same job at a lower price.

You can also download templates from sites such as templatemonster.com and tweak them accordingly as per your requirements

Do I have to make sure that I have created pages at all the pages of the site that the backlinks are going to?
    If I understand your question correctly then you are talking about deeplinks to the domain that you are buying.

Technically if you want to reap the benefits of the deeplinks that the domain has, then you have to create pages with the same file names to which the links are pointing. And IMO, if the domain does have deeplinks to it then it would be better to create pages with the old file names [to which the links are pointing] and then once the links show up in the Google WMT, deep-redirect the whole domain to your site.

Not sure if this is the right thing to do..just a thought.

Fathom what do you have to say on this?

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  15. Saving 4 a "giant laser"

If a domain has hundreds of links, what is the best way to find out what url the links are pointing to? Surely there must be a better way than checking each link individually.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by pro_seo

If I understand your question correctly then you are talking about deeplinks to the domain that you are buying.

Technically if you want to reap the benefits of the deeplinks that the domain has, then you have to create pages with the same file names to which the links are pointing. And IMO, if the domain does have deeplinks to it then it would be better to create pages with the old file names [to which the links are pointing] and then once the links show up in the Google WMT, deep-redirect the whole domain to your site.

Not sure if this is the right thing to do..just a thought.
    Yes you understood me correctly. Thanks for the info. I suppose that instead of creating all the pages, I could 301 redirect them to other pages - related thread here: http://forums.seochat.com/google-opt...1t-160301.html

BTW I discovered that ownership of that name I bought won't transfer for 3 more days - until then the previous owner can still redeem it I think, but I doubt he will.
  19. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If a domain has hundreds of links, what is the best way to find out what url the links are pointing to? Surely there must be a better way than checking each link individually.
    Look at the webmaster tools!
  21. SEO bull

I just bought a PR5 domain with 500 backlink, a lots of edu and org for $120 which is really nice.

Use the advanced search option and THINK!

Comments on this post

• Cataclysmic agrees : Thanks for the motivation to keep searching!
  23. rod@missionop.com

Sorry was away for a few days...

To start SEOChat lookup tools times out because of use (too many others using it)... try other tools/elsewhere like http://www.directorycritic.com/google-pagerank-checker.html it doesn't look as nice but that isn't why you're using it.

Withou knowing your topic area(s) I can't be sure but you need to look at this from a "related" vantage-point.

The greatest disadvantage you have in "searching" is -- you will only find domains with the searched keyword in the domain... and that leaves out are domains that don't have that specific kewyord.

As an example you may search for surety (as in bonds) and even bonds and not find anything -- but surely websites that have content on -- money, currency, exchange, bill, dollar, saving, check, cheque, stock, market, cash, etc...

Will have numerous references for you.

Don't forget "why they promoted as then let go"?

Most promoted domains are likely by people being conned into a "get-rich-quick-scheme" (or dreams of being-my-own-boss) and they eventually became disillusioned with the tasks need to succeed... (or just plain old forgot to renew cause the reminded went to some old email they haven't use in months).

Hire / Outsource

I have 2 modes for things I don't want to do or don't have the time to do.

Pay for tools to be created to do it...

Pay Indians to do it...

Give a programmer a couple of grand and they'll solve your problem (or hire them to run their tools)

If that isn't attractive -- I would gladly pay someone in the East to remove the tediousness of searching for domains and search for solid links from those domains.
  25. Saving 4 a "giant laser"

Hire / Outsource

I have 2 modes for things I don't want to do or don't have the time to do.

Pay for tools to be created to do it...

Pay Indians to do it...

Give a programmer a couple of grand and they'll solve your problem (or hire them to run their tools)

If that isn't attractive -- I would gladly pay someone in the East to remove the tediousness of searching for domains and search for solid links from those domains.
    I will gladly hire an indian to do the searching for me. Any tips on where to find some quality people?
  27. Saving 4 a "giant laser"

Originally Posted by tybi
    I just bought a PR5 domain with 500 backlink, a lots of edu and org for $120 which is really nice.

Use the advanced search option and THINK!
    glad to hear you found something! I'll keep searching!

Any idea on how many you looked at prior to finding that gem?
  29. SEO bull

glad to hear you found something! I'll keep searching!

Any idea on how many you looked at prior to finding that gem?
    In 4000 domains I found 5 PR5's. But I looked for the price over $100.

Also I thought that the organizations used to let good domains expire, so I checked the org domains first. There I found 3 PR5.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo