1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Link Building Idea - Will it work?

This is my first post in SEO chat and I intend to use this forum as a knowledge base. I am an SEO expert in South Africa and I am very good at most things SEO except link building. This is where I need you advice.

First Idea) If I was to create a partners page on my very popular South African SEO blog (will not mention it yet) and invite one top SEO company from every country in the world to have a link on that page (as they are not really my competitor but are relevant to my industry), will this help with my link building?

Second Idea) If I invite one top SEO from every country in the world to guest blog on my SEO blog in exchange for me writing a guest article on their blog (with links of course), would this be a better choice?

I have heard that guest blogging is better but I would like your opinions of why?

Thanks
  3. Contributing User

It is a great idea BUT.....the question is how are you going to invite them and why they should blog on your blog?

The KEY is building relationship with them which is the most difficult part.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    • Rizimar agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by sfpkent
    It is a great idea BUT.....the question is how are you going to invite them and why they should blog on your blog?
    I plan on sending a friendly email explaining that they are welcome to see that our SEO blog is the most popular in my country. If anyone is searching for SEO in another country then the link may help them out. We both get links and we both benefit from new content. I plan on only talking to guys that have very similar topics and interest and mostly from SEO experts that blog rather than SEO companies that throw out meaningless content
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by bryancasson
    I plan on sending a friendly email explaining that they are welcome to see that our SEO blog is the most popular in my country. If anyone is searching for SEO in another country then the link may help them out. We both get links and we both benefit from new content. I plan on only talking to guys that have very similar topics and interest and mostly from SEO experts that blog rather than SEO companies that throw out meaningless content
    For example, those top companies in US, or top SEO people, Bruce Clay, Danny Sullivan, Matt Cutts. Since they are very busy, you have to give them a strong reason why they should bother?? And you are not the one who send email to request link, so why they want to link to you?

Building relationship need strategy. You need to browse their profile, understand them and give them what they want FIRST, not get what you want. Relationship building is no different for offline and online.
  9. No Profile Picture

For example, those top companies in US, or top SEO people, Bruce Clay, Danny Sullivan, Matt Cutts.
    US is a very small part of my plan. Might split that up a bit. Matt Cutts would not really be a target for me and I already got links from Bruce Clay... so in the US I will probably allow some diversity and maybe use lesser known individuals . As for the rest of the world, the experts would most probably be fewer and more defined in their own countries (easier to approach and pick out). They also will not be in the celebrity status so more open to new idea's. And yes, a relationship is important. I train around the world and speak at seminars so that should make it easier
    Last edited by bryancasson; Jun 4th, 2011 at 05:35 AM.
  11. Contributing User

US is a very small part of my plan. Might split that up a bit. Matt Cutts would not really be a target for me and I already got links from Bruce Clay... so in the US I will probably allow some diversity and maybe use lesser known individuals . As for the rest of the world, the experts would most probably be fewer and more defined in their own countries (easier to approach and pick out). They also will not be in the celebrity status so more open to new idea's. And yes, a relationship is important. I train around the world and speak at seminars so that should make it easier
    Regardless of which country, which company. This is human nature.

The more you give first, the more you can get, this is universal truth. No matter which country, before you sending out email, ask yourself, why should they bother?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For example, those top companies in US, or top SEO people, Bruce Clay, Danny Sullivan, Matt Cutts. Since they are very busy, you have to give them a strong reason why they should bother?? And you are not the one who send email to request link, so why they want to link to you?
    Agreed. They don't need your links. Better off approaching SEOs who don't have their reputation, SEOs who NEED the links.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is my first post in SEO chat and I intend to use this forum as a knowledge base. I am an SEO expert in South Africa and I am very good at most things SEO except link building. This is where I need you advice.

First Idea) If I was to create a partners page on my very popular South African SEO blog (will not mention it yet) and invite one top SEO company from every country in the world to have a link on that page (as they are not really my competitor but are relevant to my industry), will this help with my link building?

Second Idea) If I invite one top SEO from every country in the world to guest blog on my SEO blog in exchange for me writing a guest article on their blog (with links of course), would this be a better choice?

I have heard that guest blogging is better but I would like your opinions of why?

Thanks
    I'm involved in creating something similar, so naturally I think it's a good idea. Guest blogging is the better solution as they'll get contextual backlinks off a page with few links. But not all will contribute, so a page of links will work too. Those links won't be as powerful, but they will pass some juice.
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

so a page of links will work too
    I doubt just a page of links carries anything anymore..and if it does, it won't last long enough to go after it now.

I'm with kent..I doubt either plan will work..well work well.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I doubt just a page of links carries anything anymore..and if it does, it won't last long enough to go after it now.

I'm with kent..I doubt either plan will work..well work well.
    Why don't you think guest blogging won't work? You'd be getting contextual links on a relevant page with your own chosen anchor tags in a relevant site?
  21. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Kathy Long
    Why don't you think guest blogging won't work? You'd be getting contextual links on a relevant page with your own chosen anchor tags in a relevant site?
    That's not what I was referring to. I talking about inviting the top SEO people to do guest blogging as sfpkent stated above.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    That's not what I was referring to. I talking about inviting the top SEO people to do guest blogging as sfpkent stated above.
    Ah, yes, agreed. They don't need it.
  25. No Profile Picture

Seo companies are quite busy so you might want to give them a list of benefits in linking or writing on your blog... has to have some sort of promotion... hope this helps.
  27. No Profile Picture

Smile

I guess it all depends on how hard you try, I approached over 200 SEO companies all around the world and this is how many articles I received. Australia (7) Singapore (3), USA (31), UK (30), Greece (1), India (10), Pakistan (7), Israel (3), Japan (8), China (8), Brazil (6), Mexico (1), Argentina (6) , Canada (45), Germany (16). Agreed some are not in English so I am still deciding on them but this is a potential for 150 or so links as the agreement is an exchange. It is also true however that I sent to 100 USA companies and only got a response from 31. However other countries like Canada I got 45/47 response. Guess it is all how you word your letter and explain yourself. I used Google+ and Linkden as a tool of finding people.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I guess it all depends on how hard you try, I approached over 200 SEO companies all around the world and this is how many articles I received. Australia (7) Singapore (3), USA (31), UK (30), Greece (1), India (10), Pakistan (7), Israel (3), Japan (8), China (8), Brazil (6), Mexico (1), Argentina (6) , Canada (45), Germany (16). Agreed some are not in English so I am still deciding on them but this is a potential for 150 or so links as the agreement is an exchange. It is also true however that I sent to 100 USA companies and only got a response from 31. However other countries like Canada I got 45/47 response. Guess it is all how you word your letter and explain yourself. I used Google+ and Linkden as a tool of finding people.
    Crazy - very cool man, very cool