1. No Profile Picture
    Learn every day
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Keep Googlebot from crawling links page?

I've read a lot of opinion that one way links are better than reciprocal links for being ranked in the SEs. So I was wondering, has anyone forbidden Googlebot from reading their links page? If G sees a ton of links coming to you, but you don't let them read your links page, wouldn't it look to google like you had all IB links? In theory, wouldn't that help your rankings? Yes, I know if the sites you're supposed to be reciprocating with find out you banned bots from your links page they may remove your link... but really how many people check out their links partners that close?

Any opinions on whether it would help/hurt?

Vic
  3. Bork, Bork, Bork!

why bother making a links page if you try to hide it? You're not helping yourself, your hurting other webmasters that want trade for mutual benefit...
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

If you don't care about your reputation, then by all means go ahead.

Don't kid yourself though, it is a slime ball move.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Learn every day

Originally Posted by zivkovicp
    why bother making a links page if you try to hide it? You're not helping yourself, your hurting other webmasters that want trade for mutual benefit...
    Lets say for example you have 1000 reciprocal links on your site. If you ban Googlebot from indexing your links page, wouldn't it look to Google like you had 1000 IB links, which are supposed to help more than reciprocal links?

I'm not debating the moral implications of decieving other webmasters, I'm simply want to know if, from a technical standpoint, this would work.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by vbrown99
    Lets say for example you have 1000 reciprocal links on your site. If you ban Googlebot from indexing your links page, wouldn't it look to Google like you had 1000 IB links, which are supposed to help more than reciprocal links?

I'm not debating the moral implications of decieving other webmasters, I'm simply want to know if, from a technical standpoint, this would work.

When I see a request for a reciprocal link and the other site has a link page with a PR of 0, but lots of links listed, I delete the request. Too many webmasters think they can add a link to their site and automatically assume that others will reciprocate.

If you want to build PR, build a relevant link section to your site that is actually integrated with your site. This is what I do and most of my link pages are PR4 or PR5. You'll get better quality reciprocal links and will actually give your visitors something useful to look at.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Of course it is posible (and is done all the time), you can also use the nofollow in the link.

But it is impossible to keep the moral issue out as you are talking about if you would benefit. In the long run you will lose a lot of links because of this. You don't want people saying " www.mysizeintimates.com cheats link partners "
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

When I find directories that cheat other webmasters I extract all of the URLs in the directory and then extract the emails from those URLs. I then proceed to email everyone informing them. Takes about 4 seconds of work and you can do some damage.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Webmasters seem to be pretty dishonest, so you can bet a lot are trying this.

I think this might look pretty fake to Google, though, and it might defeat your purpose fast.
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  17. No Profile Picture
    Learn every day

Originally Posted by Sweat
    If you want to build PR, build a relevant link section to your site that is actually integrated with your site. This is what I do and most of my link pages are PR4 or PR5. You'll get better quality reciprocal links and will actually give your visitors something useful to look at.
    Can you show me an example of what you mean? I assume it's NOT just a page with a bunch of links listed... ??
  19. No Profile Picture
    Learn every day

Wow, this post seems to have struck a nerve! I use LinksManager for building my links, and they have a bot that goes out looking to see if your link partners are still reciprocating. I've got several that show as "blocked". I'm assuming that these webmasters are doing what I described above... ?

And for the record, I haven't blocked any bots from indexing my links page
  21. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

There's four ways to choke off a reciprocal links page...

1. Put them in a directory or subdomain and have your robots.txt file exclude them
    2. Make a gateway page into your link pages and then have a "NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW" robots meta tag
    3. Use rel="nofollow" in all your outbound links.
    4. Make it impossible to spider to your links page from the root of the site

It's important to know these methods because I get requests all the time from people who use them. In fact, some people assume I'm lazy because they'll send a link request to a page that doesn't exist or doesn't have my link at all. My favorites have to be the people who use Linksmanager and disable the FTP account so it can't upload new files. So if you search for your site you can find it but there's no hard coded link to your site (because Google's not going to search for Widgets to find my link).

My philosophy is that my link to you stays up as long as your link to me is up. If you can't find your link back to you on their site I'd file 13 them ASAP.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Highland
    My philosophy is that my link to you stays up as long as your link to me is up.
    Every month, I send out emails to people who have ASKED ME to add a link to their site stating clearly that a reciprocal link is required in exchange for me listing a link to their site. Every month, about two weeks later, I delete links for those very same webmaster for failing to add a reciprocal link.

I'm not running a web site to boost the business of other web sites. Any webmaster who wants a link from a quality, relevant site such as mine, had better reciprocate with a link on a quality links page.

The entire web would be better served if everybody eliminated the non-relevant links from their web sites and actually built link pages that had useful information for their visitors.