1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Internal linking

Hello,

Sorry for this long post...

I have been experimenting with a few sites and their internal linking structure to see what affect it has on Pagerank and Google backlinks.

Scenario:
    One of my sites has an index page with PR6, and each page on the "next level down" maintains the same PR6.

Another site I am working with has an index page with PR5, and each page on the next level down has a PR4. Most of my sites follow this model where the initial PR decreases by one, each level down from the home page.

When I look at the Google backlinks for the first site, Google lists all the internal links; whereas on the second site, Google does not list any of the internal links!

Both sites follow the same internal linking structure, multiple text links, site map etc.

As you can see, ideally I'd like to achieve the same PR throughout the entire site but I cannot figure out what I have done differently on the second site. The only thing I can think of it that Google may not count internal links with PR4?

Any insight into this?

Also, do you think it matters whether internal links are absolute or relative? Does Google place any value in this?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Curvity Web Design
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How long has the site been up? Maybe google hasn't deep crawled the pages on the second level yet and is giving a temp PR4 until they are spidered.
  5. Contributing User

both sites have been up for over a year.

Laura
  7. No Profile Picture

apologies if a silly question but

are the internal site links optimised for key phrases in the same way on both sites or does one site have more keyphrases in the hyperlink, folder and page structure? eg. /training-courses/training-courses.htm being a link from a hyperlink called training courses? as opposed to 'about us' being a link to /company/page3.htm? or have I lost ya?

Matt
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure if google counts internal links for PR.

I'm not too sure on this next bit but I've had a look into which pages google has index of some of my sites too. From what it seems google has only index/listed in the backwards links the pages which a similar theme to the index, one of the sites is keyed towards hotels but also deals with car hire, personal itineraries and tours. On the first level all the pages a counted in the backwards links but on the other hand on the second level only pages in the "/hotels/" directory have been listed for backwards links and none of the "/tours/" pages have been index.

The only suggestion that I can give for this is that google takes the theme of the index page and then counts pages of a similar theme throughout the site and counts them as backwards links, but this also sparks a few other questions if it is right
    • i.e So if your dilute your index page with a few more keywords will google pickup more pages a backwards links
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

13. Contributing User

It just seems all too inconsistent, esp since the index page for my PR6-throughout site is not really optimized for any keywords. Also, as far as I know, PageRank only has to do with linking, and has nothing to do with keywords?

Laura
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google looks at the anchor text of links for relevancy.

As for internal links, PR flows from page to page, regardless of where that page is.

There are numerous sites where a high percentage of the backlinks that Google shows are internal links.

This article shows how link structure can impact PR:
    http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/
  17. Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Kirby is right - PR is passed on a page by page basis, regardless of what or where that page is.

The explanation may be perfectly simple - perhaps the first site's index page is a very high PR6, allowing the internal pages to be a low PR6. The other site may have a low PR5, meaning that internal pages are a high PR4. Just a possibility.

Gringo.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A friend asked me to have a little go at optimising his site a while back cos traffic was really low. None of pages where optimised towards any keywords. There were only 5 pages to the site in total, index, aboutus, why use us, yada yada yada, but the site had a pr6. Keying the index page to one keyword resulted in a huge jump in the listings, so I advised that he may need some more content to get any further. Things we going well until all this extra content was added (over 150 pages) and then then PR dropped to 5. There where no extra external links added but the extra pages where added into the backwards links and the PR dropped.