1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I am here today to dispel the myth of reciprocal links

Case Study.

Site: http://www.citychallengeuk.com

A well established company that provides team building events in cities around the UK and Europe.

Number of Links:
    Google 36
    Yahoo! 465
    MSN Search 987
    AltaVista 486
    AlltheWeb 434

DMOZ.org Entry:
    City Challenge
    Business management game for team building, communications, and leadership skills. Complete event management is offered by Read Edge Events Ltd.
    http://www.citychallengeuk.com/

Other Directories Listing:
    City Challenge - Team Building Events
    City Challenge UK, the Business Management Game: corporate development business management game to enhance team building, communications, co-operation, leadership and time-management skills for middle and senior management.
    http://www.citychallengeuk.com

Does the site have a "links" page: Yes

What makes up that links page:

77 links in total.

10 links are hand picked and link to related sites.

8 links are to "highly regarded" sites, such as the BBC, Google etc.

41 links are requested reciprocal links.

18 links are reciprocal to directories.

So... how come this site, that only has 41 reciprocal links set up, is linked to by over 400 other sites???

The answer is DMOZ and other directory listings.

If you search for the complete DMOZ description for the site you get 2100 results on Google.

This suggests to me that DMOZ and other directories have fed into those 2100 other sites and generated the above result, as I can guarantee the site hasn't been hand submitted to each of them!

What does this tell me? It tells me that getting listed on DMOZ and other highly regarded sites/directories will generate far more links than reciprocal linking ever will. It also generates links that are of far higher quality than reciprocal linking ever will, as most of the links are one-way inbound links.

These are just some thought I have put together in a spare hour. Comments are more than welcome, in fact I genuinely encourage you to post your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers all!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I had kinda thought that would be the case. Now i just have to play the waiting game until i get listed in the DMOZ
  5. Since 1984

Originally Posted by Injected
    I had kinda thought that would be the case. Now i just have to play the waiting game until i get listed in the DMOZ
    What catagory is it on? I can apply to be editor of any section of DMOZ
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by slapmatt
    [
    What does this tell me? It tells me that getting listed on DMOZ and other highly regarded sites/directories will generate far more links than reciprocal linking ever will. It also generates links that are of far higher quality than reciprocal linking ever will, as most of the links are one-way inbound links.
    I'm not a link building expert, but I'm pretty sure the original post in this thread is incorrect.

Sure, getting listed in DMOZ and other directories will certainly get you more links, however, many of these links, especially from DMOZ are VERY low quality links and some give no help what-so-ever. This is because they are duplicate content links because people just take DMOZs' listing pages and put them on their own websites. The SE's know this and won't give much value for these links. Whether DMOZ "feeds" them to other sites or other sites just take DMOZs' content (I think thatís how they get on other sites) is not relevant because they are still duplicate content links regardless, and thus they are NOT valuable links.

This has happened to every site I have on DMOZ. Everytime, the number of backlinks goes way up the minute the site gets listed on DMOZ, however the sites ranking has never made a big increase due to a DMOZ listing. Again, this is because these links are mixed in with duplicated content originally from DMOZ and are not valuable.

This is the most popular SEO forum and many people come here to get the 'truth' about SEO. Its threads like this one that have caused many of the best contributors here to move on. Next time you start a thread, "I am here today to dispel the myth of reciprocal links" make sure your info is accurate. Duplicate content works with links also.
    Last edited by nlgordaz; Feb 10th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.