1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Hubs links working less in the past 2-3 years?

hey folks,

I've observed from my own experience as well as that of companies whose link building I've observed, that hub links seem not to be working as well as they once did (or else taking a lot longer to show observable results such that you can't show correlation, let alone causation).

Hub links here means links on crusty old link pages maintained by enthusiasts, professors, some companies and the like. Design style circa 2000. What Eric Ward sometimes calls 'directories' (if they include a mention requesting link suggestions), but not what your average "PR8 links for sale" fool calls directories. I used to find them with the Hub Finder by SEOBook.com and Moz's Competitive Link Finder. E.g. link pages where the value is in the cocitation (see Google's HillTop patent) . Hope I'm being clear?

Anyways, I'd love to hear if that's just my anecdotal evidence and you guys have been more successful with these, or perhaps you're also seeing these become way less effective than they once were?
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by GabrielG
    hey folks,

I've observed from my own experience as well as that of companies whose link building I've observed, that hub links seem not to be working as well as they once did (or else taking a lot longer to show observable results such that you can't show correlation, let alone causation).

Hub links here means links on crusty old link pages maintained by enthusiasts, professors, some companies and the like. Design style circa 2000. What Eric Ward sometimes calls 'directories' (if they include a mention requesting link suggestions), but not what your average "PR8 links for sale" fool calls directories. I used to find them with the Hub Finder by SEOBook.com and Moz's Competitive Link Finder. E.g. link pages where the value is in the cocitation (see Google's HillTop patent) . Hope I'm being clear?

Anyways, I'd love to hear if that's just my anecdotal evidence and you guys have been more successful with these, or perhaps you're also seeing these become way less effective than they once were?
    I understand what you're saying and I have noted the same. However, based on my research Google appears to be putting much more weight into the link and page content relation. I used to see unrelated links get the same boost as related links; however, it appears Google has put some more emphasis on the onpage content in relation to the outbound link. If there's a direct connection you appear to see a bigger and more obvious boost.

That said, it should have always been this way, but it just seems Google's algo wasn't fully aware o fthe abuse that was happening at the time, mainly post Penguin.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

That would explain why hub links work less, because the title/optimization of the hub page usually is somethin general e.g. 'resources' rather than 'new mazdas in virginia' ;)
    Working on rock the pitch, my soccer site.
    Need a keyword tool with millions of terms easily exportable?
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by GabrielG
    That would explain why hub links work less, because the title/optimization of the hub page usually is somethin general e.g. 'resources' rather than 'new mazdas in virginia' ;)
    Again, this is just my personal experience/opinion. But to be honest, I've felt this 'trend' or decline for the past 3 years, a year before the official Penguin release, which I would "assume" further enforced my theory.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees