Thread: href Title tags

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

href Title tags

Is it worth going through my entire site to add Title tags to all my links? will it sufficiently increase my google position, by adding keywords/etc to each link?

Thank You.
  3. Contributing User

Though it may not increse your positioning dramatically, it will give more relevancy to the pages the link goes to.

I tend to call the link what the name of the link is. Otherwise it is no more relevant.

"example"<www.woopity-splash.com/woopity-world.htm title="Woopity World">

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  5. SEO Freak
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It is something I did last week. I went through my home page and made sure the title attribute on the links was used. It certainly does no harm. BTW, if you use dreamweaver there is an extension for easily adding the title attribute (not in thep roperties by default).

GoLive 6 is also good for easily adding title attributes without the need for an extension.

I will certainly be using the title attribute on in future.
    What is a website without traffic?
    ABAKUS Internet Marketing
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Anyone knows a site wich uses title into A tag from some months ago? I'd like to do some investigations.
  9. Contributing User

Originally posted by "Mauricio"

Anyone knows a site wich uses title into A tag from some months ago? I'd like to do some investigations.
    I know quite a few, the one that sticks out the most is EOA Scientific

BTW Mauricio, is that hidden links on all your pages??? What is up with that???

And to add to this topic you can also use titles for your <table>s and <tr>s as well as alot more.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  11. No Profile Picture

title

wouldn't that add alot of kb's to your site, having title tags on every little thing? If there's some decent evidence that it will improve your google position, I could handle it.. but I'm still not so sure.
  13. Contributing User

When I optimize, I optimize per page, each page has it own keywords and phrases.

Does it work? I believe so, as long as everything stays on topic as well as no repeating keyphrases, keep changing things but stay on topic.
    I like to have proper phrases that may get typed in by a potential custumer, and that they make sence. (Using word tracker)

Will they increase the file size? Of course, but remember file size in another percentage of the total algarthm. I never actually checked to see how much adding (ball park figure) title tags would increase the file size. But will be my next task at hand, when I have a moment I will do with and without.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees
  15. SEO Freak

The ranking boost well outweighs the fact there may be a small page size increase imo. I don't think you are likely to run into spam triggers either as it is not a repetition in a single tag. It is a legitimate html element which is used by the blind and is recommended by usability experts :-)
  17. No Profile Picture
    dan
    Contributing User

And to add to this topic you can also use titles for your <table>s and <tr>s as well as alot more.
    Yes, you are right. I have just looked it up and in HTML 4.0 title is a universal attribute that you can add to every single tag you like.

Now, that does not automatically mean google recognises it in every case, too.

Does anyone know?
  19. SEO Freak

I dont think anyone knows for sure. There has however been some data collated which suggests the title attribute on links carries extra weight. On other tags (table etc.) it most likely counts for total keyword density, which is useful for sites with little text or inflexible marketing / sales copy, but whether there is an extra weight given to them is not conclusive.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Whether or not it weight is debatable. One fact however is that it does not carry a huge weight, it would carry only a light weight.

The greater purpose of these tags is for the visually challanged (such as myself without glasses at long distances ). I urge all to refrain from spamming these tags as it will make your site unusable to those who use these tags for legit purposes.
    Darrin J. Ward, the Founder of SEO Chat (this site
    FREE CHAT BOX FOR YOUR SITE OR BLOG
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Interesting thread. I was looking for more information on how to display a brief description on a text link. I did not realize at first that this was part of the HTML 4.x spec. Now I know. Vertigo- I can't see such a small amount of text adding significantly to the size of your pages or anyone's for that matter. If it does, I think you are going overboard. =) Who knows if Google recognizes it or not, at this point I am sure there is a good chance they do. As with anything else "SEO" related, once it gets abused that will probably come to an end.
  25. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

wheres is vord?
    i think the whole web usability side of this needs to be addressed as well.
    8-)
  27. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

the title attribute:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/stru...bal.html#title
    Values of the title attribute may be rendered by user agents in a variety of ways. For instance, visual browsers frequently display the title as a "tool tip" (a short message that appears when the pointing device pauses over an object). Audio user agents may speak the title information in a similar context. For example, setting the attribute on a link allows user agents (visual and non-visual) to tell users about the nature of the linked resource:

29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you are using wordpress, you can use dynamic title tag, you can set them according to your page title.