1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How much is spent on buying links?

I've been looking at all of the companies/web sites buying and selling links. How much do you think is spent on this each year? Are there any stats out there on this?

Is it worth it to buy a link?
  3. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

In answer, none. However, I do sell them..shhhhhhh....

Depends on what you're wanting as to whether they are worth it. If I were to consider buying one, I would approach it like this.

Search Google for you money KW phrases. Find the sites with top notch content that appear in all or the majority of them. Check the sites out to insure they are...not doing anything "funky" then approach them about buying a link on "be specific page" for a "specific amount you are comfortable paying".

A high ranking quality and relevant site for your range of search terms is a jam up place to have a live content based back link when they are kickin your butt or threatening to blow by you. It can provide a serious "bump" to your site credibility in the search engines. This would be money well spent if you're going to spend it anyways.

This is the only reason I would recommend buying a link, though even still, it is something I would never do. I reallly can't see a whole lot of value to me in buying links. If doing it simply based on PR it is not sufficient enough a reason in my opinion.

Hope this pointed you in the right direction.
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  5. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

How much anually is spent buying links (apart from search and content advertising)? That's a very good question. I'd imagine it's around 500-750million US. Maybe more. You have to consider all the ad links people buy that aren't for link pop, but are for getting click-through traffic. Just one text link ad on the front page of Yahoo! goes for gobs and gobs of money.
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks. The answers above are great. I appreciate your help and hope to contribute to the forum in the future.