1. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Help with PR and Backlinks

I need some advice. After being listed in directories (Yahoo, DMOZ, etc.), all major SE’s (15+), and optimizing the site, I have a PR4 (right from the start 3-4 months ago). I understand that the only strategy left to raise site’s PR is to get quality links (from pages of PR4 or more). We are a small marketing (not internet related) company dealing with international marketing and consulting.

So, here are my questions/concerns/issues:

1. How do I ask another site with high rank to link to me?
    2. Why would such site link to me?
    3. What kind of site could that be?
    4. Why would a higher-ranking site care if I provide a link to their site 2 or 3 pages down from my home page (anywhere from PR4 to PR0)?

5. And the last question. Let’s say I spend several hours everyday developing links and I get, say, 200 links after several months of work. There is not guarantee that my PR will go up. Even if it does, I would not expect it go to PR7 – it will most probably be lower (for comparision, even AltaVista’s PR is 9). So, what did I gain after so much effort and time?

Any feedback is appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Quality links...

Find many directories on the internet worldwide...and submit
    to a certain directory which show your kind of content.

Many of those do have a respectable PR 6 or 7....a good start...
    It's only a shame that dmoz is so slow these day...you can wait
    for ages to get listed....even with a good site !!

for the rest it's hard to get your links on high PR website's unless
    those are your own..

regards, hans
  5. Contributing User

Re: Quality Links

In regards to your questions, here are some thoughts regarding linking and PR:

About link quality...
    It is not so much important to get links from sites with high PR as it is to get links from relevant sites with decent PR (4+). By this I mean if your site is about marketing, it is better to get links from other sites about marketing, international consulting and related topics, than it is to get a link from a site about fish.

Sometimes this is not always the case though. For instance, one good link from a high PR site that is either a news site or a site that contains information on diverse topics, will also greatly help your PR. As this is not always possible (I don't see CNN giving out links from their home page), you may want to focus on the first tactic.

About finding links...
    Many sites are interested in trading links. If you take a look around at other sites, many of them have "related Web sites" page(s) where they list sites that may be helpful to their users. But beware of sites that act as link farms. If their links page looks like a free-for-all and doesn't appear to be organized in any particular way, I'd steer clear. The idea is quality links, not quantity links.

About Requesting links...
    I recently read a good article about writing to webmasters to request links:

http://www.stickysauce.com/articles/increasetraffictips/howtogetlinks.htm

This article explains how you may want to word an email message to request a link from a webmaster and about reciprocal linking (link trading). Also, some sites provide an online contact form for requesting links... this too can be helpful and also saves time.

About link placement...
    Many sites will ask that the page where you place their link, be directly navigable from your home page, or that the link be on your home page itself. I would recommend that you create a link to your "related Web sites" page, somewhere on your home page if possible. On many sites that I've worked on, I've included this link in the text links at the bottom of the page (if it needs to be discreet); however, if you are gathering relavent links, there is really no need for this link to be discreet, as your users should find these links helpful to their user experience. Just make sure that you use <a ... target="_blank"> so you don't direct traffic away from your site.

Even if your links page has a low PR, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As you gain more inbound links to your site, your PR will increase and so will the PR for your links page.

I hope I've helped you a little bit! I'm still trying different linking strategies for my sites, and this has worked so far....

-Laura
    Curvity Web Design - Boston, MA
  7. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for your replies – your feedback is appreciated. I understand the technique on how to get the link campaign started.

The real question: why?

I am still struggling with my original question:

"Let’s say I spend several hours everyday developing links and I get, say, 200 links after several months of work. There is not guarantee that my PR will go up. Even if it does, I would not expect it go to PR7 – it will most probably be lower (for comparision, even AltaVista’s PR is 9). So, what did I gain after so much effort and time?"

Now that I’ve learned that:

1. There are no guarantees that PR will go up or down
    2. In fact, PR will probably go down given the leveling of all the sites across Google index if no links are developed. If I do get some links, it will probably stay the same in the longer term because of the leveling of PR's in the index.
    3. If PR does change, there is no way of knowing how it affects the actual searches in terms of client conversion.

So, why bother? Just because I can?

Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone their thoughts and opinions.
  9. Contributing User

if you are going to spend several hours every day trying to get backlinks just buy some extra domains and create your own network..
  11. Contributing User

A possible answer to your "why" question...

http://www.linkingmatters.com/WhyLinkingIsImportant.html

This article explains why it is important to be linked to other sites and linked from other sites. PR, is just a very small part of it. It is more about increasing your site's traffic and visibility.

If your site already has valuable, optimized content, linking is the next step to making your site a part of the Web. Standalone sites generally don't get as much traffic as ones that are linked.

Laura
    Curvity Web Design - Boston, MA
  13. Contributing User

Originally posted by "curvity"

This article explains why it is important to be linked to other sites and linked from other sites. PR, is just a very small part of it. It is more about increasing your site's traffic and visibility.
    I just find it funny/ironic that this web site only has 60 backlinks to it....not much if you ask me.
  15. Contributing User

Pr 7 would be nice, but I am happy with the #1 & #2 spot on G with my main search term. # 2 and #3 on my second and # 6 on my third. Three months ago I was not listed in the first 200!!! Every day I try to get at least one link, read all new post on this board. And change something on my web site every couple of days. I have taken all of the suggestions I have got to my questions. I studied all websites that was in the top 10 and tried to understand why they were there. The #1 last month had a PR of 3 Mine is a 5. Last week some one suggested the book S. E. Visibility. That same night I went out and bought it and read it. When I email someone I just ask them if they would like to exchange links and they always say yes. (almost) I did no spamming. I killed my competition with good content, good links with everyone's help on this board. The #1 position does get allot more hits...
    It's good to be King
    Doyle