1. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Finding tightly themed backlinks

In recent threads here I've read a bit about tightly themed backlinks. In a couple of threads it's been mentioned how smaller sites with dramatically fewer pages and backlinks than competitors have climbed there way to the top of the serps through the following:

1. Excellent content
    2. Tightly themed backlinks (w/ high PR)

At times I'm confused about finding the right type of "themed backlinks" that will logically give me a better "vote" by google. I've seen some of the following suggestions in threads here about how to obtain themed backlinks. These make sense to me (whether they are right or not) and include the followning ideas:

1. Go through the google directory and DMOZ and try and obtain links from sites directly up the chain from your site.
    2. Try and get links from the 100 top ranked site in google for your keyphrase, 60 top in MSN and Yahoo, and 25 top in Jeeves.

Are there other good ideas that can focus one on collecting themed backlinks?

In particular my site represents a school that teaches a skill. In all directories we are listed in the education area. Our keywords include the school part but are more interested in the skill. I think the theme to this topic is more oriented to the skill than the school. If we were to adjust our positions in directories (where available) would that help?

It would be great to get others ideas on how to narrow in on the theme(s) that google "sees" for your site!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

look at top 10 listing for your targeting keywords. If theose pages don't have external backlinks, you shoould be able to rank well by right PR and on-page optimization. If they have external backlinks, try to get backlinks from those links pages. Just do what your competitors do.
  5. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by dejaone
    look at top 10 listing for your targeting keywords. If theose pages don't have external backlinks, you shoould be able to rank well by right PR and on-page optimization. If they have external backlinks, try to get backlinks from those links pages. Just do what your competitors do.
    I've already gone through my competitors bl and gotten similar ones where available. The competitive sites above mine have an advantage in that they are located in many cities while mine is in just one. They have 15-20 times the opportunity to get local themed links than do we. They have dramatically more bl than mine on a regional basis. We all have similar themed links; if anything I'm turning up new ones before most of the others because I'm out searching for them. I'm trying to better understand where the quality and themed backlinks can come from.

Dave