1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Don't Just Be A Link Hunter But Strive To Become A Link Huntee As Well - Learn How

::: Linking Outside The Box - Don't Just Be A Link Hunter But Strive To Become A Link Huntee As Well - Learn How :::

Greetings Forum-Mates,

Are you just as frustrated as we are when it comes to searching for (and finding) quality link partners? (DEFINITION: Link Partner = Generally speaking, a link partner refers to a site owner or a Website that has agreed to exchange links with your Website. A link partner can also refer to a site owner or a Website that links to another Website in exchange for something other than a link back, such as money or anything of value.)

If you answered yes, then keep reading because nothing will get better unless a few of us decide to do something different. So, unless a few of us become motivated enough to help to change the current landscape of low quality "links pages" or low quality "industry specific directories" (one of our preferred terms) into a plethora of high quality "industry specific directories" the likelihood of quality directories becoming the norm is slim at best.

Therefore, we'd love to know what you think about using blog software as a "links manager" for your Website? The reason we ask is that we have seen some really ugly looking "links pages" not to mention how unorganized they are. Many such links pages are not even arranged by any specific topics but they are merely links thrown onto a single page that often numbers into the hundreds. Wouldn't the search engines (not to mention your "human" visitors AND your "link partners" whom you should really be designing these pages for in the first place) prefer to see at least a few paragraphs of content along with a personal endorsement/recommendation than just a link? We certainly believe so. Therefore blog software would seem to be the perfect fit for site owners who desire to create a "directory of resources" and/or a "reciprocal links directory." That way each resource and/or "link partner" would have their own separate page rather than having to be the last link on a single page of 100 or more links. Your thoughts about this type of design strategy is much appreciated or just a quick reply to the following question would be appreciated even more.

If we approached you with a reciprocal link offer which of the following scenarios would you choose?

::: Link Partner Scenario #1 :::

Please follow the instructions for adding our listing to your page.

If all you wish to provide for us is a basic text link on a page that has other link partners on it (up to 100 from various industries) then we will provide you with a similar listing.

Your listing may have up to 8 words in the title (the link text) and up to 40 words in the description. Your listing will be placed on a page with up to 100 other companies from various industries.
    ::: Link Partner Scenario #2 :::

If all you wish to provide for us is a basic text link on a page that has other link partners on it (up to 50 from the same industry) then we will provide you with a similar listing.

Your listing may have up to 8 words in the title (the link text) and up to 40 words in the description. Your listing will be placed on a page with up to 50 other companies from the same industry as yours.
    ::: Link Partner Scenario #3 :::

If all you wish to provide for us is a basic text link on a page that has other link partners on it (up to 10 from the same industry) then we will provide you with a similar listing.

Your listing may have up to 8 words in the title (the link text) and up to 40 words in the description. Your listing will be placed on a page with up to 10 other companies from the same industry as yours.
    ::: Link Partner Scenario #4 :::

If you wish to provide us with a featured listing on a search engine friendly page that has no other link partners on it then we will provide you with a similar listing.

Your listing may have up to 8 words in the title (the link text) and up to 80 words in the description.

We will provide you with up to 3 additional listings for the same Website. These listings may link to any other pages that you decide, (i.e., as long as we agree).

Your listing will be placed on a brand new Web page and you will be the only link partner listed.
    ::: Link Partner Scenario #5 :::

If you would like to provide us with a featured listing on a search engine friendly page created by the WordPress software < http://www.wordpress.org/ > (or its equivalent) that has no other link partners on it then we will provide you with a similar listing.

Your listing may have up to 8 words in the title (the link text) and up to 150 words in the description.

We will provide you with up to 4 additional listings for the same Website. These listings may link to any other pages that you decide and you may add up to 2 images such as your photograph and/or your logo, (i.e., as long as we agree).

Your listing will be placed on a brand new Web page and you will be the only link partner listed.
    ::: Link Partner Scenario #6 :::

If you don't have the ability and/or the desire to provide us with a listing on your Website, then you are more than welcome to purchase a listing on our site.

Since we provide several options, we're sure that one will be just right for your particular needs.

#1.) Link Partner Scenario #1 ... $3.00 per month ... or ... $27.00 per year ... or ... $67.00 one time fee

#2.) Link Partner Scenario #2 ... $5.00 per month ... or ... $45.00 per year ... or ... $112.00 one time fee

#3.) Link Partner Scenario #3 ... $7.00 per month ... or ... $63.00 per year ... or ... $157.00 one time fee

#4.) Link Partner Scenario #4 ... $14.00 per month ... or ... $126.00 per year ... or ... $315.00 one time fee

#5.) Link Partner Scenario #5 ... $19.00 per month ... or ... $171.00 per year ... or ... $427.00 one time fee

#6.) Custom Discounted Link Partner Rates ... Call Us

Also, another concept we'd like to receive some feedback on is as follows.

As a site owner looking for link partners, how willing would you be to be placed on a list with other site owners that matched not only the specific keywords that you are willing to trade links with but also knowing that this list would include only potential link partners whose Website was registered in the same year as yours?

In other words, if your domain has been online since 1998, how willing are you going to be to trade links with someone whose site has been online since 1999 as opposed to someone whose site has been online since 2005 if you could only choose one as a link partner?

More than likely your choice would be the one online since 1999, right?

And, more than likely the owner of that site would also be willing to trade links with you, right?

A site that is just as old as yours would more than likely be more established within your industry/niche (just as your site would be) and therefore the advantage for you (and them) would be knowing the age of the sites that are available to you (and them) as a potential link partner, right?

Conversely, if your site has been online since 2005, then how willing are you going to be to trade links with someone whose site has been online since 1999 as opposed to someone whose site has been online since 2005 if you could only choose one as a link partner?

More than likely your choice would be the one online since 1999, right?

And, more than likely the owner of that site would not be willing to trade links with you, right?

Oh, but wait a second! What if you were offering this potential link partner something valuable that most other sites aren't even offering, might they then consider your site as a potential link partner? Perhaps they would. That is if they realize the amount of value that you'd be offering them if you would simply provide them with either "Link Partner Scenario #4" or "Link Partner Scenario #5."

If you are following along with our concept so far and all that it implies, then you'll quickly realize that even if you have a brand new site with PageRank0 that you will have just as good (if not a better) opportunity at acquiring a link from a more established site with a much higher PageRank than the average site owner today who is only offering their link partner a single link back to their site on a page with several other sites.

We have been around long enough (since 1996) to know that the majority of site owners today still have very little or no knowledge about how to effectively design their "links pages" and then how to go about acquiring quality link partners.

Yes, one reason may be that there are very few quality link partners that are willing to trade links with a new or newer site than their own. Another reason may be that there are very few quality link partners from which to choose in the first place. And yet another reason may be that while there are many articles for a newbie site owner to read about the importance of acquiring lots of quality backward links, very few, if any really go into the step-by-step process of just what to do as far as designing quality listings on individual pages for their link partners.

And if we've looked deep enough into the wants and desires of most site owners, we believe without a doubt that just about anyone with a quality site would be willing to exchange links with a site owner who is offering them more than just a link to their homepage along with up to 600 words of content that they would write which would then be placed on a brand new Web page without any other link partners to be listed, ever ... EVEN if they have a brand new Website.

Therefore, we'd appreciate your feedback on the concepts that we have shared with you so far.

Are they bad ideas, good ideas, ideas that may catch on with some site owners, ideas that may catch on with a lot of site owners, should all the ideas be scrapped or might you have a suggestion or two to add to any of these ideas?

Looking forward to some intense and productive dialog with you all.

Thanks for reading!

Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero

PS If you're wondering how to become a "Link Huntee" (DEFINITION: If a "Link Hunter" is one who hunts for pages to add their URL to, using such "Link Hunter Terms" as ... "add url free" "real estate" ... and the like, then a "Link Huntee" provides the optimized page(s) being hunted) then all you need to do is to just optimize your "Add Your URL Page" for a few of the more popular "Link Hunter Terms" so that your page can be easily found by all of the "Link Hunters" because your page ranks high in the SERP (Search Engine Results Pages).
    Last edited by SEO_AM; May 4th, 2005 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Removed live links
  3. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

wow that's a lot to swallow ....

first off, here's my recommendation... if you want good advice try and keep your posts a little shorter than that... i skimmed through the whole thing, but that still took like 5 minutes... i have a feeling you will get better responses with shorter scenarios (just an opinion)

back to the topic.

personally i don't even participate in link exchanges as i think google is striving to devalue reciprocal and triangle links... but if i had to pick a scenario i would probably choose scenario #6 because it involves a one-way link and little work on my end .. BUT in reality i wouldn't choose any of them because as I said earlier, i don't do link exchanges.

when i used to do link exchanges i found the best technique was to use automated software.. swapware is a great free program that validates reciprocal links instantly .... i would set up a subdomain off of my main domain (because this is treated as a seperate domain in google's eyes) but make them link back to my main domain... this was very easy because i could just respond to my 1 million link requests via email and direct them to the subdomain url....
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  5. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi Sharon & Roy! Good to see you two are still around.

I think a lot of your questions depend upon the (type of) site that one wishes to promote. Some (B2C especially) are more open to link exchanges and link schemes than others (B2B, corporate brochure sites, etc.).
    ... low quality "industry specific directories" ...
    I've found great value from industry specific vortals (with directories).

As far as the blog format is concerned, it is not as easy to navigate (browse) and find resources as with a traditional directory tree IMO. But, show an example of what you envision. You never know until you try, right?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I think its a great idea!
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

::: Thank You For Your Feedback - Here's A Little More To Ponder About Our Concept :::

Originally Posted by dazzlindonna
    I think its a great idea!
    Hi Donna,

Thank you for your vote of confidence about the concept, we truly appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Bernard
    Hi Sharon & Roy! Good to see you two are still around.
    Hi Bernard,

Thanks and oh yes, we're still around and plan to be for a good long while. Just haven't been posting in as many places and as often but its good to be posting here again.

I think a lot of your questions depend upon the (type of) site that one wishes to promote. Some (B2C especially) are more open to link exchanges and link schemes than others (B2B, corporate brochure sites, etc.).
    Yes, that's quite true. Didn't mean to imply that the concept was meant for every site but simply for those who are already (or about to be) engaged in providing a "resources" section.

As far as the blog format is concerned, it is not as easy to navigate (browse) and find resources as with a traditional directory tree IMO.
    Hmm? To navigate through a database by browsing rather than searching?

Maybe we're not tuned in with your particular thoughts so we'll just provide you with our perspective and then you can chime in and explain to us what you meant by "not as easy" okay?

We believe that if given a choice between browsing for a resource or searching for a resource that just about everyone's first choice will be to use the search feature and not the browse feature.

We come to this conclusion based simply on the fact that Yahoo's original database has taken a back seat to search and that no database has ever been called a "browse engine" as far as we know.

We have never browsed through a database, even when we first came online back in 1996, we never browsed through Yahoo but rather searched it. Browsing is a slow and tedious process that we believe may still appeal to some folks, those not in a hurry and those willing to sift through pages and pages just to see every listing in the database. The majority of visitors (in our opinion 99.9%) would rather use the search feature and use specific keywords to find what they are looking for.

In fact, since we have just started working with the WordPress software we realize that many people have designed various plugins that would seem to help improve the functionality of the software so while we haven't had the time to search for a plugin for search we are pretty sure that they are available. In fact, if anyone knows of any good search plugin feature for WordPress please let us know.

You speak of the traditional directory tree as if it is not available using the WordPress software, which of course it is ... Well, maybe not in the traditional sense of being able to go 10 or 20 levels deep but then again, if you keep your resources tightly focused which we highly recommend you do then you don't need that many levels. While WordPress allows you to create as many categories as you desire it also allows you to create as many subcategories as you desire. That is significant enough (in our humble opinion, of course) to be able to build an award winning directory of resources.

Anyway, Bernard, if we seem to have missed your point about browsing being easier than searching, then maybe you'd like to elaborate a bit more.

But, show an example of what you envision. You never know until you try, right?
    Right! Hey, any idea is a good one when it's only in your head still, right? It's only when you start to put it all together that you start to see a few flaws in it, right?

We do have an example that we're currently working on for a real estate company. In fact, we'd love your (and everyone else's) feedback and critiques on it. You can find it at < JPFCO.com/dir/ >. We've been working on it for just a few months and it is nowhere near completed but there's enough there to see what where doing.

And as far as the directory being ranked well for some popular "Link Hunter Terms" try the ones listed below and discover that many are currently ranked at #1 or in the top 10 in Google. In fact, none are lower than #20 and the directory is less than 3 months old. But that doesn't mean that it took that long to acquire all of the rankings you'll see below.

In fact, the following charts show just how long it really took for a few selected terms.

Code:
    The term ... "add url" "real estate" ... Debuted at #10 just 10 days ago.

Keyword Placement Over Time  
      "add url" "real estate"  
      Date  	  	Rank  
      May 5, 2005   	  12  
      Apr 28, 2005   	  13  
      Apr 27, 2005   	  10  
      Apr 26, 2005   	  10  
      Apr 23, 2005   	  9,999

Code:
    The term ... "add url" "homes for sale" ... Debuted at #12 just 13 days ago
    and is now ranked at #3.

"add url" "homes for sale"  
      Date  	  	Rank  
      May 5, 2005   	  3  
      Apr 28, 2005   	  6  
      Apr 27, 2005   	  6  
      Apr 26, 2005   	  6  
      Apr 23, 2005   	  12

Code:
    The term ... homes for sale add url ... Debuted at #19 just 13 days ago
    and is now ranked at #6 after being as high as #4.

homes for sale add url  
      Date  	  Rank  
      May 5, 2005   	  6  
      Apr 28, 2005   	  5  
      Apr 27, 2005   	  4  
      Apr 26, 2005   	  4  
      Apr 23, 2005   	  19

Code:
    The term ... add url free homes for sale ... Debuted at #1 just 13 days ago
    and is still ranked at #1 which reveals just how easy it is right now to 
    optimize for the most popular and frequently searched for "Link Hunter Terms."

add url free homes for sale  
      Date  	  	Rank  
      May 5, 2005   	  1  
      Apr 28, 2005   	  1  
      Apr 27, 2005   	  1  
      Apr 26, 2005   	  1  
      Apr 23, 2005   	  1

We're most excited about this particular aspect of our overall concept because it shows that with very little effort any site owner with just a small amount of SEO experience will be able to acquire some high rankings for their particular industry or niche's "Link Hunter Terms."

Think about this for a minute or two and really ponder the opportunities that await those who will become the early adopters of this concept?

Being highly ranked for these types of terms will bring an enormous amount of highly relevant potential link partners to your "Add URL Page" each and every day. Then eventually you'll be able to take of your "Link Hunter" hat altogether and simply wear the hat labeled "Link Huntee" which of course, is a much more comfortable hat to wear.

Once many of those who are currently hunting for link partners discover these quality "WordPress Directory of Resources" pages and begin to read about how they too can design such a directory of their own, and so on and so on and so on ... Well, if you have a forward thinking mindset then need we say anything more?

Besides, something has got to give when it comes to being able to find QUALITY LINK PARTNERS who are more than willing to give YOU a really good link or 2 or 5 and all from a single page (without any other link partners) with truly valuable content that would be upwards of 600 words or so. (More about this after you study and ponder the charts below.)

Wordtracker Daily Searches
    05/06/05
    add url 293
    add url free 176
    real estate 13418
    homes for sale 4214

Code:
    Link Hunter Term			Ranking

"add url free" "homes for sale"	        1
    "add url free" "real estate"		2
    "add url" "homes for sale"		3
    "add url" "real estate"			12
    "homes for sale" "add url free"	        1
    "homes for sale" "add url"		3
    "real estate" "add url free"		2
    "real estate" "add url"			16
    add url free homes for sale		1
    add url free real estate		3
    add url homes for sale		        6
    add url real estate			17
    homes for sale add url		        6
    homes for sale add url free	        1
    real estate add url			20
    real estate add url free		2

If you have a few additional "Link Hunter Terms" that you'd like to share with us for this directory, we'd be most appreciative!

And likewise we'd love to help you to come up with some terms for your directory if you'd simply ask.

We are currently in the process of putting together information along with various case studies that will focus on and explain in detail the how-to's of linking ...

Linking Outside The Box

How To Link - What To Do And What Not To Do

The "WRITE" Way To Design And Build A Directory Of Resources
    To further illustrate our concept please read the following (an excerpt of a recent eMail message that included images and live links but of course they won't be present here).

If we were to ask 100 real estate companies for a link exchange with their Website and offered them the following 4 scenarios of where they could be listed and how, which one(s) do you think that most would choose?

::: Scenario A :::

<TITLE>Colorado Real Estate Agents, Colorado Companies and Services - AgentSearch</TITLE>

<H1></H1> (No H1 Included)

<H2></H2> (No H2 Included)

Colorado Agents

Karen Wilhelm
    Prudential Gore Range Properties
    800-283-2480
    Visit my Web Site
    Request Information
    Full time, professional Realtor with MBA, CRS and GRI designations. Serving Vail, Beaver Creek, Arrowhead, Bachelor Gulch, Cordillera and all of Eagle County. All type of property: ski-in/ski-out, golf, luxury, income and family retreats.

Aurora

Mike Barela
    Metro Brokers
    303-726-7959
    Visit my Web Site
    Request Information
    Serving the entire Denver Metro Area. I listen to what you want and deliver. Ask me about my guarantee! Also serving Highlands Ranch, Englewood and Littleton.

Janice Beemer
    Assist-2-Sell
    303-683-3135
    Visit my Web Site
    Request Information
    Relocating to Colorado? I am your agent, a Colorado native who knows the area well. Contact me for information. I specialize in the South Metro area including: Denver, Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Littleton, Parker, Castlerock and Englewood. I look forward to hearing from you.

This page actually has a total of 103 links and only 1 link to each listing.

Source: http://www.agentsearch.com/real_estate/colorado.htm

The Google listing for ...
    "Fountain Colorado Real Estate"
    ... Looks like this ...
    Colorado Real Estate Agents, Colorado Companies and Services ...
    ... Colorado Springs, Black Forest and Fountain Colorado Real Estate. We have been
    selling homes here is the springs for 24 years. ...
    www.agentsearch.com/real_estate/colorado.htm - 36k - Cached - Similar pages

::: Scenario B :::

<TITLE>Ralph and Jeanne Janisch - Durango Colorado Real Estate</TITLE>

<H1>Nantucket Island Massachusetts Real Estate Resources Directory</H1>

<H2>Ralph and Jeanne Janisch - Durango Colorado Real Estate</H2>

Ralph and Jeanne Janisch - Durango Colorado Real Estate

Ralph and Jeanne Janisch

Broker Associates
    Realty Executives of Durango
    835 Main Avenue, Suite 217
    In the Main Mall
    Durango, CO 81301
    Office: 970-749-3982
    Fax: 970-259-7009

Toll Free: 1-888-231-4600
    Internet FAX: 1-832-201-7048

Dynamic Real Estate Team with over 40 years of combined experience in Real Estate Sales, Marketing and Property Management. Call us today with all your Real Estate needs.

970-749-3982 or 970-749-6782

RESUME

“Opening Doors and Dreams Since 1978?

In the competitive world of Real Estate, we believe that it is important that you know about the credentials and records of accomplishment of the people to whom you entrust your needs. We take seriously our job to “open doors and dreams for you.”

For that reason, we have designed a comprehensive presentation that we give to each prospective buyer or seller. One of the slogans that we have adopted over the years is “We want to EARN your business.” We feel that you are entitled to more than just a horn blowing session of us telling you all of our accomplishments.

(To Continue Reading Please Click Here Now)

Main Properties Recently Sold Property Search Buyer's Resources Seller's Resources Buyer/Seller Form Guestbook Event Calendar Newsletter Helpful Resources School Info Resume Testimonials

This page actually has a total of 32 links and 15 of them link to the listing's Website.
    Source: http://www.jpfco.com/dir/archives/19

"Durango Colorado Real Estate"
    ... Looks like this ...
    Ralph and Jeanne Janisch - Durango Colorado Real Estate
    ... Realty Times - Blanche Evans, Editor ». Ralph and Jeanne Janisch - Durango Colorado
    Real Estate. REC Durango Colorado Real Estate - Homes For Sale ...
    www.jpfco.com/dir/archives/19 - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

::: Scenario C :::

<TITLE>Chicago real estate - real estate links in Chicago IL</TITLE>

<H1>Real estate in Chicago IL</H1>

<H2></H2> (No H2 Included)

Real estate in Chicago IL
    @properties
    @properties
    @properties is a leader in the booming Chicago real estate market. @properties is among the top producing real estate agents in the Chicago area each year, averaging more than $100 million in residential transactions a year. @properties has built a...

Andrew Filipowski
    CHICAGO ILLINOIS - CHICAGO Homes and Real Estate For Sale - Realtor®
    chicago real estate specialist chicago homes and north west suburbs buying or selling properties look for best services chicagoland real estate agent

Baird & Warner
    Baird & Warner Chicago Real Estate
    BairdWarner.com - Chicago's First and Foremost. Residential Real Estate Since 1855. Chicago real estate listings. Chicagoland real estate at Bairdwarner.com, find a Chicago realtor for homes and rentals.

Baran David A. - Koenig & Strey
    Chicago Real Estate. Chicago's foremost site for assisting people buying and selling lofts, condos, townhomes and single family homes.
    Comprehensive Chicago Real Estate Site featuring: real estate listings, neighborhood maps, prices and information. Foremost place to easily find, buy and sell homes in Chicago.

Barbara Foy
    Chicago real estate and Chicago Northwest Side Illinois real estate listings, home buying, selling and relocation information - NUMBER1EXPERT(tm)
    Get the best homes, expert advice, residential listings, local info, free reports, and more from Barbara Foy REATOR&ref; a proven Chicago real estate and Chicago Northwest Side Illinois real estate expert. Top local web site.

This page actually has a total of 128 links and only 1 link to each listing.

Source: http://www.abcrealestatedirectory.com/IL/Chicago.htm
    "Highland Park Illinois Real Estate"
    ... Looks like this ...
    Chicago real estate - real estate links in Chicago IL
    Chicago real estate - links to real estate agents, real esate brokers and real estate ...
    Highland Park Illinois real estate, Chicagoland homes for sale, ...
    www.abcrealestatedirectory.com/IL/Chicago.htm - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

::: Scenario D :::

<TITLE>Judith Weiner - Highland Park Illinois Real Estate Agent</TITLE>

<H1>Nantucket Island Massachusetts Real Estate Resources Directory</H1>

<H2>Judith Weiner - Highland Park Illinois Real Estate Agent</H2>

Judith Weiner - Highland Park Illinois Real Estate Agent

For Lake County Illinois real estate, you have come to the right place! As a Real Estate Consultant serving the North Shore, North West, and Far North Suburbs of Chicago, I can help you with all of your real estate needs. I hope that my web site will be helpful in making the entire process of home purchase or sale much easier for you.

About Judith

Salesperson vs. Real Estate Consultant

Most real estate agents spend an enormous amount of time and energy searching for new business. As a result, their client's real estate needs may not get the proper attention they deserve. In contrast, as a Real Estate Consultant, I focus 100% of my energy on counseling individual clients, completing their transactions quickly and efficiently, and delivering “first class” service. I am interested in building a strong, lasting, lifelong relationship with you, and I promise to deliver the service you expect from professionals who work by referral only! As a result, my valued clients and friends refer their neighbors, business associates, family and others to me for my trusted advice on buying or selling homes. It is my desire to build a business based on strong, lasting relationships - starting with you!

(To Continue Reading Please Click Here Now)
    For Sale Buying A Home Selling A Home About Judith Area Living Communities Favorite Links Contact Me

This page actually has a total of 26 links and 9 link to the listing's Website.

Source: http://www.jpfco.com/dir/archives/18
    "Highland Park Illinois Real Estate"
    ... Looks like this ...
    Judith Weiner - Highland Park Illinois Real Estate Agent
    ... Judith Weiner - Highland Park Illinois Real Estate Agent. REC Judith Weiner - Highland
    Park Illinois Real Estate Agent ...
    www.jpfco.com/dir/archives/18 - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Anyway, we'll end for now and wait for some of your comments and/or questions.

Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero
    Last edited by Sharon & Roy; May 6th, 2005 at 05:14 AM.
  11. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Sharon & Roy
    Hmm? To navigate through a database by browsing rather than searching?
    It's hard to search when you don't know *what* you are searching for. Also, searching requires active participation on the part of the user. When a list of options is presented instead, you make it easier for the user IMO.

Of course, the devil is in the details and either implementation can be elegant or obtuse. It's all a matter of degree in the end.

We come to this conclusion based simply on the fact that Yahoo's original database has taken a back seat to search and that no database has ever been called a "browse engine" as far as we know.
    Well, there is a difference between a general resource (general topic directory / search engine) versus a topical/themed resource (or a corporate one for that matter). Ie. Joe's Fish Emporium might like to offer a lot of resources on types of fish, fishing methods, recipes for fish, etc. Will visitor's to Joe's Fish Emporium think to search their site for these resources? Perhaps, perhaps not.

... The majority of visitors (in our opinion 99.9%) would rather use the search feature and use specific keywords to find what they are looking for.
    I suppose it also depends upon just how large of a database you have, how well organized it is and the nature of your on-line journey (ie. looking for something specific, researching an industry, goofing off, etc.).

... so while we haven't had the time to search for a plugin for search we are pretty sure that they are available. In fact, if anyone knows of any good search plugin feature for WordPress please let us know.
    Uh.. There is a search box in the top of the right sidebar (by default) . Is that not what you mean?

You speak of the traditional directory tree as if it is not available using the WordPress software, which of course it is ...
    I made no comments related to WordPress. As mentioned previously, the devil is in the details and implementation can make or break a site (or idea). I spoke only to the difference between search vs. clearly laid out nav structure. Of course, if you offer both, you satisfy visitors of all types.

... We do have an example that we're currently working on for a real estate company. In fact, we'd love your (and everyone else's) feedback and critiques on it. ...
    Looks like a start. I guess I'm a little bit old fashioned in that when I visit a site and want to see their resources, I want to see them right away (instant gratification). Perhaps I missed it (which is sort of the point I was trying to make previously), but I don't want to hunt through tons of pages to get an overview of all the resources listed.

I do see advantages from a webmaster perspective if the point is just to build a SEO friendly reciprocal link engine.