1. Since 1984
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Do Special Characters affect how G views a page?

I have a page on my site, the filename is "Yorél_Léroy.htm".

This is the only page named with a special character i.e é

This also is the ONLY page on my site that has no PR information.. the majority of the site has been granted PR2, some havent been granted any PR so are PR0, but this one page I named above, the toolbar cant give any PR information.. it doesnt score it PR0 rather it just says 'no pr information is available'..

It this special character harming the way G looks at my page, or is it just coincidence?

:EDIT: Please delete or move this post, i've had a silly moment and seem to have posted this in teh wrong place! D'oh!
    Last edited by MrLeroy; Feb 24th, 2006 at 09:08 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Get rid of 'em

Yes I think Google may not be able to recognize those characters. Why don’t you simply change it to -> yorel_leroy.htm?

Originally Posted by MrLeroy
    I have a page on my site, the filename is "Yorél_Léroy.htm".

This is the only page named with a special character i.e é

This also is the ONLY page on my site that has no PR information.. the majority of the site has been granted PR2, some havent been granted any PR so are PR0, but this one page I named above, the toolbar cant give any PR information.. it doesnt score it PR0 rather it just says 'no pr information is available'..

It this special character harming the way G looks at my page, or is it just coincidence?

:EDIT: Please delete or move this post, i've had a silly moment and seem to have posted this in teh wrong place! D'oh!
  5. Since 1984
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by grrajeshkumar
    Yes I think Google may not be able to recognize those characters. Why don’t you simply change it to -> yorel_leroy.htm?
    Becuase that would be innaccurate

No, I did kindof get this sorted, it appears some datacenters recognise the special characters, some datacenters dont.

I think the Big Daddy update will allow Google to recognise special characters, so I was informed in this threads 'twin' in another post here