1. No Profile Picture
    TPN
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Distributing Quality Content for Links

This is the question....

What have you guys found to be the best way of distributing quality content to get backlinks?

We have written some good quality articles in our niche and placed them on our blog but now need to get a little visibility to get them around the internet.
    You can write the best content in the world but unless the right people stumble across it then its not really going to help as much as it really should so we need to get it out there.

Anyone with experience that could start the ball rolling on this thread would be fantastic.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes, it is good that you've written some good content. Now just do some social bookmarking, social media sharing, and so this type of works to get more visitors to your site. Also follow the google web master guide line. Hope that you'll get so many visitors day by day. Best of luck.
  5. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is a good question and one that I think about a lot.

I think it depends on a lot of things. Two of them are the type of content and the target audience.

So for example, some people say "social media is the best way to promote content," but...not all communities are active on social media. And some types of content, people don't care about on Twitter or Facebook. I feel like most people go to social media to try and have fun and find things they're passionate about. That's probably also why people say that quality content is written with expertise and passion - if your content is passionate, it will resonate with others who feel the same way. Finding them is the tricky part, I guess.

So, if I was going to promote something on Twitter I'd look for popular hashtags. Twitter chats can be a good place to promote stuff sometimes - but you've got to actually participate in the chats and get to know people first. This guide (How To: Use Forums For SEO) is written about how to use forums, but I think the advice in it can be applied to other communities as well.

Reddit is a big site with a lot of eyes. They also have dedicated communities for all kinds of different topics. Look for a subreddit related to your content and become a member of it. That means posting all kinds of different things. I'd comment on threads and have conversations with people. Share personal stories and expertise. Be funny, be fun. Then when you share your content, you'll have people who know your username and say, "Hey, I know that guy. He's a cool dude, lemme check out this thing he's sharing."

Many communities, Reddit in particular, are wary of self-promotion. They know that their community is useful, and is used, as a vehicle for gaining traffic and links. Usually they don't like it. Which is why it's important to give back at least as much as you're given by a community. Also if the content is good enough, I feel like people sometimes don't mind even if they know they're being marketed to.

Originally Posted by alornishan1
    Now just do some social bookmarking...
    This isn't me calling you out, so I hope I don't sound rude - it's just that I hear the term "social bookmarking" all the time. It's been repeated so many times it's like a mantra, ad nauseam. Does anyone, other than SEOs, actually use social bookmarking services? Services like Delicious just seem so useless to me, personally...like, if I want to bookmark something I do it on my browser. I have blogs, forums, Twitter accounts, etc that curate content for me - and I can get to know the curators better through those mediums than I can through a bookmark list. But that's just my personal feeling, and my feelings are usually pretty boneheaded so whadda I know
  7. No Profile Picture
    TPN
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by markroberts
    This is a good question and one that I think about a lot.

I think it depends on a lot of things. Two of them are the type of content and the target audience.

So for example, some people say "social media is the best way to promote content," but...not all communities are active on social media. And some types of content, people don't care about on Twitter or Facebook. I feel like most people go to social media to try and have fun and find things they're passionate about. That's probably also why people say that quality content is written with expertise and passion - if your content is passionate, it will resonate with others who feel the same way. Finding them is the tricky part, I guess.

So, if I was going to promote something on Twitter I'd look for popular hashtags. Twitter chats can be a good place to promote stuff sometimes - but you've got to actually participate in the chats and get to know people first. This guide (How To: Use Forums For SEO) is written about how to use forums, but I think the advice in it can be applied to other communities as well.

Reddit is a big site with a lot of eyes. They also have dedicated communities for all kinds of different topics. Look for a subreddit related to your content and become a member of it. That means posting all kinds of different things. I'd comment on threads and have conversations with people. Share personal stories and expertise. Be funny, be fun. Then when you share your content, you'll have people who know your username and say, "Hey, I know that guy. He's a cool dude, lemme check out this thing he's sharing."

Many communities, Reddit in particular, are wary of self-promotion. They know that their community is useful, and is used, as a vehicle for gaining traffic and links. Usually they don't like it. Which is why it's important to give back at least as much as you're given by a community. Also if the content is good enough, I feel like people sometimes don't mind even if they know they're being marketed to.

This isn't me calling you out, so I hope I don't sound rude - it's just that I hear the term "social bookmarking" all the time. It's been repeated so many times it's like a mantra, ad nauseam. Does anyone, other than SEOs, actually use social bookmarking services? Services like Delicious just seem so useless to me, personally...like, if I want to bookmark something I do it on my browser. I have blogs, forums, Twitter accounts, etc that curate content for me - and I can get to know the curators better through those mediums than I can through a bookmark list. But that's just my personal feeling, and my feelings are usually pretty boneheaded so whadda I know
    In all honesty I never use social bookmarking other than back in the day to get content indexed quicker.

In regards to your other points I can see where your coming from and in an ideal world you would have time to be part of 5 or 10 forums / social groups but in reality that's pretty time consuming and the amount of people which are producing content in my sector it's hard to find a unique topic which nobody has written about yet, even if you do there is someone else with 5x the amount of exposure hot on your heels.

I can imagine you would spend 70% of your time writing comments and 30% do your job or writing content.

All in all though I think your right about building up a status in a particular niche but is there are more time efficient and effective way. A way that has a quicker impact while your building a solid social profile. This is what I'm looking for from those who know better and are more experienced than me.
    Last edited by TPN; Sep 25th, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
  9. Not An Expert

There's a piece of marketing (I assume it's marketing anyway, because it has "halloweencostumes [dot] [com] at the bottom of it) on the front page of reddit right now that we could use as an example for discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...s_through_the/

So this infographic is really simple. But the thread about it has 304 comments. I'm reading through them and noticing that this thing has people talking about a lot of different things. Anything that generates discussion is interesting to me.

You can look at the user profile of the person who posted this infographic, too: https://www.reddit.com/user/TheSwampDweller

They've been around for 2 years and it looks like they post a lot of stuff about horror movies. Seems like they might even run some kind of horror movie podcast, too. In horror subreddits, they post a little of this, a little of that. Discussions about movies and stuff. You can see they mention their podcast (I assume it's theirs), horror etc a few times.

The account posts in the "eagles" subreddit a lot too. And elsewhere - big subreddits like "askreddit," general hangouts, etc. But mostly movies and horror.

The infographic was probably created for marketing, I figure, but I'm not going to make a judgment about the account because that's harder for me to do (because of my own inexperience). Either way, I feel like the account can be learned from. They participate in a particular slice of the Reddit community (movies and horror) and even create original content about those things (a podcast). I feel like that's the kind of stuff to do if you want to become part of a community.

I don't know if any of it leads directly to your stuff being seen by more people (I assume it does not), but I feel like it at least opens more doors.

Food for thought! I'm probably wrong about a lot of it, but this is the stuff that runs through my head.
  11. Not An Expert

Originally Posted by TPN
    In regards to your other points I can see where your coming from and in an ideal world you would have time to be part of 5 or 10 forums / social groups but in reality that's pretty time consuming
    Yeah, it can be a full-time project I agree. The 70-30 rule is a common adage in the social media sphere, though (I think). That is, "spend 70% of your time engaging with people and 30% promoting yourself."

Originally Posted by TPN
    is there are more time efficient and effective way. A way that has a quicker impact while your building a solid social profile.
    I haven't discovered one myself, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Others might have more ideas!

The 70-30 rule and building authority are ideals, like you say. Not everyone has time to be perfect - there's only so many hours in the day

But I do think researching a related subreddit on Reddit and posting there with a catchy title is a quick and relatively easy way to potentially get your stuff in front of a lot of eyes.

It's just that, in the long-term, I think you would ideally create a more well-rounded presence. Like most things, short term gains are not always sustainable.

There are probably better ideas out there, I'll let other folks speak before I do again. I'm too long-winded
  13. No Profile Picture
    TPN
    Contributing User

I am with you on the sort term gains. They are nice for a quick push if you can find them but it would be better building a good online profile. Do that on facebook and google plus is hard because most people go there to have fun and be entertained so anything that takes more than 10 seconds to read your not going to get far, even if it is of worth and is quality.
  15. No Profile Picture
    TPN
    Contributing User

Also your unable to post as a new user. I think it would be an interesting experiment to participate and see how we are accepted.
    Also on reddit it seems to be a catchy headline and quality content with a good catchy image.
  17. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)